New Regulator leaking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Regulator leaking?

Due to the regulator recall, I purchased a Marshall Excelsior regulator and added new Shinestar 15 inch hoses with the gauges. I was changing out tanks the other day and noticed that the tank I removed, the hose at the connector was leaking propane even though I had the switch over to the other tank. I moved the switch back and forth and still, propane was leaking out the disconnected hose. Isn't there a check valve on the hose? Or maybe the regulator is bad. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Country Campers; 02-03-2022, 03:46 PM. Reason: Rule #13
    John and Lori
    2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
    2021 Imagine 22MLE

Originally posted by JHC View Post
    Due to the regulator recall, I purchased a Marshall Excelsior regulator and added new Shinestar 15 inch hoses with the gauges. I was changing out tanks the other day and noticed that the tank I removed, the hose at the connector was leaking propane even though I had the switch over to the other tank. I moved the switch back and forth and still, propane was leaking out the disconnected hose. Isn't there a check valve on the hose? Or maybe the regulator is bad. Thoughts?

If you're stating that gas is leaking from the end of the hose where the ACME knob is when it's disconnected from the propane cylinder...it's a bad pigtail. As stated on https://propane.com/common-propane-f...s-and-devices/
    Acme fittings are typically found on newer propane containers, and differ from POL valves in size and their use of external threads. Acme fittings can be hand-tightened. They also have a built-in safety mechanism that prevents propane from leaving the tank unless it’s attached to a device.

Click image for larger version

Name:	here.JPG
Views:	401
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	75861
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks. I was thinking that but why wouldn't the regulator itself prevent propane from escaping the pigtail that isn't connected to a bottle if the regulator valve was turned to active tank?
      John and Lori
      2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
      2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Not knowing all of the particulars of the auto valve, the auto valve may require some residual pressure for it to function properly. The leaking pigtail connector is the sealing device which helps to make the auto valve work properly.

I know on my first TT the auto valve would choose the tank with the highest pressure, thus both would be empty at the same time. Not convenient.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

So if I am understanding you correctly, I shouldn't just have 1 bottle attached to the regulator. I need both bottles attached so there is some back pressure from the empty bottle. I bought another regulator (Fairview) but haven't installed it (ice storm here!!) yet.
          John and Lori
          2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
          2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

So if I am understanding you correctly, I shouldn't just have 1 bottle attached to the regulator. I need both bottles attached so there is some back pressure from the empty bottle. I bought another regulator (Fairview) but haven't installed it (ice storm here!!) yet.
            That doesn't seem right, since many users (myself included) only leave one tank with an open valve when in use. This is done to prevent the regulator from failing over to the 'secondary' tank automatically when the 'main' tank is empty. You want to do this so you know when a tank has been emptied, and that gives you the chance to fill it before the other empties out too. I've even operated Marshall regulator with only one tanked connected, meaning the second pig tail would be at atmosphere pressure, and it doesn't leak.

Where is your leak occurring? Did you do a soap test to see where the exact leak is? I have seen posts about 'cheap' pigtails leaking at their swivel fittings, or even at the ACME knob.
            2019 Imagine 2400BH
            2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

It is leaking at the brass fitting that goes into the tank. See the pic above, right where the red arrow is pointing to. The lever on the regulator is pointing to the full tank but getting propane coming out of the pigtail that is not connected to a tank.
              John and Lori
              2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
              2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

I would guess either the regulator or the pigtail.

The auto change over regulator is supposed to allow you to remove a tank and refill it , then reinstall. There should be no leakage at the pigtail during this process. If you have a local gas place, welding gas, or bottled gas provider, they may be able to check the regulator but I am not sure about that. Another note is to make sure that the lever is pointed in the right direction and not in the center, if it is in the center it will draw from both tanks at the same time.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Since the regulator is new, it maybe worth while contacting Marshall Excelsior and ask them if they think the unit is faulty. If it is, I would hope they would come through and help you out.

Edit:
                  Just occurred to me JHC , have you tried swapping which pig tail your full tank is attached too? IE, if the left hose was leaking when the tank was connected to the right, move the tank over to the left and see if propane leaks from the right hose. That should help you narrow down if the issue is the regulator or the supply hose.

I also noted this from the MEGR instructions, which seems to align with you experience, although you stated you had flipped the lever, so perhaps something is up with the regulator.

"Black changeover lever must be rotated as far as possible
                  towards reserve cylinder before disconnecting empty cylinder.
                  Failure to rotate changeover lever and / or disconnection of
                  hose while indicator is red will result in a propane gas leak..."
                  Last edited by StephenO; 02-03-2022, 10:36 PM.
                  2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Thanks StephenO. I will give that a shot after it warms up today.
                    John and Lori
                    2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
                    2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Something I noticed on all 3 of my campers is when you flip the valve, the indicator does not immediately change to green. You may need to wait a bit for the indicator to change after some propane usage before disconnecting.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Update. I purchased 2 Marshall Excelsior MER426-20P pigtails (green acme) to fit on my Fairview GR-9994XF regulator. The Fairview came with brass "back check valves" on both inlets. They are 1/4" female inverted flare. However, the MER426-20P pigtails won't fit in the 1/4" inlets. The package says 1/4" MNPT. When I remove the back check valves, the pigtails screw in just fine. The pigtail package says...."Inside the brass nipple is a flow limiting device designed to sense excess gas flow." Do I need the back check valves or do I need to go and buy pigtails that fit in the 1/4" female inverted flare connectors. The RV parts person said the green pigtails are for hi-flow. And I should be using them. Any thoughts please?
                        John and Lori
                        2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
                        2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Update. I purchased 2 Marshall Excelsior MER426-20P pigtails (green acme) to fit on my Fairview GR-9994XF regulator. The Fairview came with brass "back check valves" on both inlets. They are 1/4" female inverted flare. However, the MER426-20P pigtails won't fit in the 1/4" inlets. The package says 1/4" MNPT. When I remove the back check valves, the pigtails screw in just fine. The pigtail package says...."Inside the brass nipple is a flow limiting device designed to sense excess gas flow." Do I need the back check valves or do I need to go and buy pigtails that fit in the 1/4" female inverted flare connectors. The RV parts person said the green pigtails are for hi-flow. And I should be using them. Any thoughts please?
                          The '22 Imagine 22MLE comes with a FlameKing that has dark green connectors. Based on the image, it looks like the same one on Home Depot's website: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-Ki...ACR6/309005434

The differences in color are explained on etrailer: https://www.etrailer.com/question-331973.html

I don't know for sure about your specific question regarding the back check valves, so withholding an opinion. The only suggestion I have is to contact Marshall Excelsior customer service (if they have one).

Howard
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Certainly not 'plug & play' is it?

Looking at the parts information for the pigtails you purchased, it does list

Type 1 Back Check Connector with thermal protection.

I am no means an expert, and please verify this, but to me that means the hose has the built-in check valves, meaning the check valve in the FIF fitting on the new regulator are not required. Again, please verify that information like Howard suggests.

When I installed our MEGR regulator, it also had FIF fittings installed, but they were just that, a FIF to MPT adapter. There was no internal components in the fitting, just a 'straight pipe', which was the same as the Winntec regulator taken out. Meaning the hoses needed a check valve instead.
                            2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Working...
                            X