Hot water heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water heater

Luckily we don't tow with the propane on, have had a couple of trips where you would get a propane smell on the street side compartment. the last trip we went through a tank of propane in one night, it was cold but not that cold. I've sprayed every where i could think of with soapy water and no bubbles. Gave up and called my local mobile tech, come to find out that the hot water heater valve was leaking, so if the propane was open you had gas feeding the hot water heater even if it wasn't on. Pass a flame by the venture tube and it would fire up along with the heater. A real fire hazard just waiting to happen.
    Extended warranty covered everything but the service call, happy camper again, now if we can just get fuel down so I can move it out of the drive way.
    2019 Reflection 29RS
    2016 GMC Denali HD
    Every Things Nicer in Niceville

Originally posted by Randall Lee View Post
    Luckily we don't tow with the propane on, have had a couple of trips where you would get a propane smell on the street side compartment. the last trip we went through a tank of propane in one night, it was cold but not that cold. I've sprayed every where i could think of with soapy water and no bubbles. Gave up and called my local mobile tech, come to find out that the hot water heater valve was leaking, so if the propane was open you had gas feeding the hot water heater even if it wasn't on. Pass a flame by the venture tube and it would fire up along with the heater. A real fire hazard just waiting to happen.
    Extended warranty covered everything but the service call, happy camper again, now if we can just get fuel down so I can move it out of the drive way.
    The valve failed internally allowing gas to leak? That's crazy--there's two parts to the inside of that valve which is supposed to prevent the exact problem described. Or maybe I don't understand--was the line attached to the valve loose or was there some other gremlin?

Regardless, glad it was found without too much drama.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The valve failed, if gas bottles were open gas was flowing to the hot water heater, hold a lighter to the burner and it would light even if turned off inside.
      2019 Reflection 29RS
      2016 GMC Denali HD
      Every Things Nicer in Niceville

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Lee View Post
        The valve failed, if gas bottles were open gas was flowing to the hot water heater, hold a lighter to the burner and it would light even if turned off inside.
        Wow!

Below is an older version of a similar valve. Those dual chambers in the top are designed so that if one side fails gas will cease to flow. Exactly how the two sides mechanically interact I don't remember (even though it was discussed at length in a session at the RVSA school). All I do remember is the redundancy thus why your post caught my attention.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dual.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	78898

It would have been very interesting to know the exact failure mode of your valve.

Thanks for posting about the issue, Randall.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

i'd be interested in seeing the inside that valve myself. I would not be surprised if there is something in the system bridging the 2 sections like a blade of grass or stream of teflon tape.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
          X