Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane Tank Switchover Fail?

New owner of a 2018 399TH.
    I need an explanation of how the propane tank switching system is supposed to work. Not sure if I have a malfunction or if I've failed to operate something correctly.
    Left side tank emptied overnight. Right side tank was full and tank valve open. As left tank became empty, system did not switch to right tank. Do I have a faulty system, or have I failed to manually operate something?

Try a Google search of the switchover valve that you have on your trailer or look for the literature that came with the trailer. Then you would have specific instructions for whatever model your trailer might have.

My first question is always the cheap and easy one, are you 100% sure the right tank is "full" and the valve fully open ? I know it might seem insulting to ask but you would be surprised at how many times it works
    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

You may need to close and reopen the valve. I've had a couple of them that were sensitive and when you opened the valve too fast it would go into safety mode and block gas flow.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

The other question is what position did you have the switch over lever. It should be flat and pointed towards the tank in use. Way back with my first trailer I did not understand that and had it point up between the two settings. And I too have opened a tank valve too quickly tripping the safety.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Also important to make sure the lever on the auto changeover regulator is not in the middle, it should "point" to one tank or the other as mentioned above.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by BMF View Post
            New owner of a 2018 399TH.
            I need an explanation of how the propane tank switching system is supposed to work. Not sure if I have a malfunction or if I've failed to operate something correctly.
            Left side tank emptied overnight. Right side tank was full and tank valve open. As left tank became empty, system did not switch to right tank. Do I have a faulty system, or have I failed to manually operate something?
            FWIW: In almost all automatic changeover models, the lever or indicator is mechanical. The reason it's call automatic is because it takes no human intervention to draw from the freshly emptied tank to the full side tank, or whatever you want to call it. There are hundreds of videos online that explain the operation in this way:

when both tanks are full, place the lever/indicator in either direction you choose. This now becomes the reference point/reminder of which tank you are currently "pulling" from, or the "primary" if you will. As the current (or "primary") tank empties, the device will automatically, as in its name, changeover (think: 2 am, 33 degrees outside and you are happy that it's function is automatic) to the opposite, full, or secondary side, whichever you choose to call it. When you (hopefully) are using your LP gas you are (hopefully) checking your tanks frequently and you will then notice that one of the tanks reads Red and the other Green. This is the time to disconnect the empty side and get it refilled while you are still using the side that it is now drawing from. What I am not sure of is, what happens if you put your indicator in the middle. My guess is that the regulator pulls from both tanks and they will go empty at approximately the same time and there will be no full tank to "switchover" to and you will be left with two empty tanks, however, I'm not real sure about that. I'm sure you will get more input on this topic and hopefully get an answer to the 'indicator in the middle' issue. Good Luck.
            Last edited by Schiefswret; 04-03-2022, 09:17 PM.
            Dave and Sue
            2020 GD 2250RK
            2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
            Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
            GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
            SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

One other thing that I remember, it can draw from the tank with the highest pressure. I.E. 45 F weather and the primary tank is a summer blend for 85F and looses pressure, the switch over valve will thin the tank is empty and start drawing from the other tank. In the mean time the primary tank recovers, but since it has already changed, the system keeps drawing from the other tank. The process reverses and continues until both tanks are empty.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

To troubleshoot the regulator and know how it works:
                http://www.rvdoctor.com/2001/04/test...eover.html?m=1

The lever does do and mean something.
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW