Champion 2500 Dual Fuel Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champion 2500 Dual Fuel Generator

Greetings all: I have searched more places than I can count, including Champion web site, left questions with YouTube channels, etc, etc and cannot get a bead on the information I need to purchase
    a LP hose line that goes directly from the above mentioned generator to the standard LP outlet/quick connect that comes OEM with the majority of Travel Trailers and many five-ers. Any/All tips much appreciated.
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Dave,

Here is one of the posts about using the onboard propane for the duel fuel generators, RV to Champion Generator Propane Adapter - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

Lots of discussion there about adding the hose and items for the quick disconnect on our units. I have not done this yet as we probably will not use the generator that much and I will just use the short hose that came with the genny and either a tank from the trailer or bring an extra. I also do not have a propane quick connect on the back side of the trailer so I would have either have a long extension cord and a long propane hose or keep everything short and set the genny on the back side of the trailer close to the shore power connection.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Schiefswret I did this mod, I also added several more connection points around the trailer to allow me to use it in various places. I'll try to grab a picture of the hose I made up, but basically you break the factory hose apart in the middle. There's what looks like two regulators on it, and large one and a small one. The big one is actually a safety flow device you still need, the small one is a regulator you need to remove because the ports on the trailer are already regulated. I put a make quick connect fitting on the large piece and a female on the small one. This allows me to plug the two together if I still want to use it on its own tank (mainly for a power outage at the house). Otherwise the short hose it came with plugs into the trailer port or a extension I bought if I want it further away or in the truck bed.

DOZYANT 1/4" RV Propane Quick Connect Adapter for Propane Hose, Propane or Natural Gas 1/4" Quick Connect or Disconnect Kit - Shutoff Valve & Full Flow Plug - 100% Solid Brass https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y3HTK8W...ing=UTF8&psc=1

DOZYANT 12 feet Low Pressure Propane Quick-Connect Hose, RV Quick Connect Propane Hose, Quick Disconnect Propane Hose Extension - 1/4” Safety Shutoff Valve & Male Full Flow Plug for RVs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XK43NL3...ing=UTF8&psc=1
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Here are a couple photos of what I put together:

Click image for larger version

Name:	C55B6A97-C7C0-4766-9E98-7D7AC1E9209F.jpeg
Views:	905
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	81162

Name:	5E134F5C-2340-42C0-8EC5-522174B11161.jpeg
Views:	937
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	81160

Name:	64649736-F2FE-4C70-8884-CAE297DEF01B.jpeg
Views:	931
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	81161
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          Dave,

Here is one of the posts about using the onboard propane for the duel fuel generators, RV to Champion Generator Propane Adapter - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

Lots of discussion there about adding the hose and items for the quick disconnect on our units. I have not done this yet as we probably will not use the generator that much and I will just use the short hose that came with the genny and either a tank from the trailer or bring an extra. I also do not have a propane quick connect on the back side of the trailer so I would have either have a long extension cord and a long propane hose or keep everything short and set the genny on the back side of the trailer close to the shore power connection.

Brian
          gotcha, thanks to brian and neil. I also carry this Genset only in the fairly rare occasions when it's near emergency situation so I'm not sure at all that the "juice is worth the squeeze". For now I'm just carrying an extra 20lb tank and a small 1 gal can of gas in case we get in a jam. Also I'm not sure how this (see pic) item can be sourced since it looks vital to the operation as it seems to be some sort of safety switch (i'm not sure) or something but in any case the Gen will not operate (to my knowledge) without it attached.
          Last edited by Schiefswret; 04-03-2022, 06:21 PM.
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Here’s what I was referring to
            Attached Files
            Dave and Sue
            2020 GD 2250RK
            Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Yeah we do not use ours very often, and as such I've never had gas in it (cleaned too many carbs in small engines in my life). This mod got me out of carrying the extra 20 pound tank which has been nice.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post
                Here’s what I was referring to
                Hello. I am trying to do the same modification you described to connect the champion 2500 watt generator directly to the rv quick connect and came across this post.

I know it is an older post, but wanted to reply to your question about the pic of the connector you posted. That connector plugs into the generator. You would keep that side of the connector as is and continue to use that to plug into the generator. It would be the other side of the lpg connector that has the connector that screws onto the propane tank that you would replace with a male quick connect fitting.

I have already done this modification on my champion 3400 dual fuel generator using instructions similar to what ncitro posted, but am trying to find out if the same parts could be used for the champion 2500 watt generator.

The lpg connector for the 2500 watt generator looks a little smaller than the one for the 3400 watt generator.

I guess I will just order the parts I ordered for the 3400 modification and give it a try. Will post back if I am able to get it to work.

These forums are great resources for sharing tips and how to's with each other.

Comment

Working...
                X