Propane transportation question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane transportation question

I need to carry in the bed of my truck a 20lb LP tank 3/4 full in the event that I get in an unplanned jam and need to fire up my generator. The large HD plastic wheeled tote that I like to use is not tall enough to carry the tank vertically so I’d like to know if there is any inherent risk to carry it horizontally in the tote that is any greater than carrying it vertically. TY
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Dave,

I do not think that there is any different risk in horizontal versus vertical. The only "bad" thing that will happen is if the valve breaks it will shoot out the side of the truck instead of down thru the bed to the ground, probably not worth worrying about. I would however store it upright as much as possible as I am not sure if the valve components will like being in the cold liquid all that much, but that is just a hunch.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

A propane cylinder and the associated pressure relief system is designed to function in the upright/vertical position. In the event of over-pressure (eg. overfilling, direct sunlight/heat, exposure, etc) the relief valve should be oriented to express the vapour portion (top) of the tank.

Mike
      Mike & Sonya
      2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
      Blue Ox SwayPro
      2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

x2 on the advice from NoPeeking Mike. The pressure relief valve is designed to operate in the vapour portion of the tank. If you lay the tank down on it's side and it becomes overheated, the pressure relief valve will be submerged in the liquid propane. It will likely still work, but will be spewing liquid propane which may freeze the valve in the open position.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Tks fellas, I’ll dig out how to keep it vertical just for safety.
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post
            Tks fellas, I’ll dig out how to keep it vertical just for safety.
            I use an old school plastic milk crate. Fits 20 pounder perfectly and keeps the tank upright. I do secure it to the side of the truck bed to keep it from moving around.
            Ken & Sandra
            2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

Originally posted by KSC_Travels View Post

I use an old school plastic milk crate. Fits 20 pounder perfectly and keeps the tank upright. I do secure it to the side of the truck bed to keep it from moving around.
              X2 plastic milk crate works perfectly. Actually, I leave my portable 20lber in the crate... keeps the bottom ring of the tank off the damp ground.

Mike
              Mike & Sonya
              2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
              Blue Ox SwayPro
              2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Tks to all. I already have a rubber ring around the bottom of my 20 lbers it’s the height I was dealing with. I’ve mcgivered it but Tks again.
                Dave and Sue
                2020 GD 2250RK
                Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Be advised that storage of liquid fuel cylinder in confined spaces can be extremely detrimental. In the event the pop off does activate, it will quickly fill the space with fuel and any addition of the proper amount of heat can cause an explosion.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post
                    Tks to all. I already have a rubber ring around the bottom of my 20 lbers it’s the height I was dealing with. I’ve mcgivered it but Tks again.
                    They make a couple odd sized tanks that might fit better, but obviously you'd need a new tank. I rigged my generator to run from the rigs propane system and stopped carrying a spare. Added a propane connection under the front bay so I can run it on the tailgate in a pinch too.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I have used both of these styles of holder. The heavy-duty black one bolts to my L-track and can be locked around the tank
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Cahriad; 04-16-2022, 11:18 PM. Reason: spelling
                      Reflection 297RSTS
                      Ram Laramie CC 2500 Hemi

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                        Be advised that storage of liquid fuel cylinder in confined spaces can be extremely detrimental.
                        Over the years I've seen plenty of cars leave the filling station after putting the 20 pounder on the back seat, or min vans with the tank placed in the back.....

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Depending on circumstances, I carry from 1 to 5 tanks, mostly 20's and maybe a 30 or two. I use a ratchet strap looped around the rings with the hooks in the corner pocket. I can't loop the rings on the 30's so I use a second strap around those rings and to the corners.
                          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                          Nash County, NC
                          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Is there a good device that measures the amount of propane in a tank?
                            2022 28/BH w/slide awnings, rear camera, lithium batteries, solar
                            TV: 2006 Dodge 2500 Turbo Desiel, 5.9 I6

Comment

Yes, many. Check Amazon and research on YouTube.
                              Dave and Sue
                              2020 GD 2250RK
                              Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Working...
                              X