Propane transportation question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cheryle View Post
    Is there a good device that measures the amount of propane in a tank?
    I'm a big fan of the Mopeka sensors. They sit on the bottom and use sonar to tell you how full the tank is. I personally found they worked way better when I hard wired mine too a power supply rather than using the watch batteries they come with. I've got a post about it somewhere.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Cheryle -- see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/propane...linder-monitor

Neil's thread is referenced in post 7.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I loaded my 100 pd full propane tank in the back of my truck on thrusday night. we did lay it down and strap it. The top of the tank was pointing to the back of my truck. On Friday we went to our permanent campsite and unloaded it then hook it up to my trailer. In the past 6 years I worked at a rental business that also sold propane. Many times i loaded the tanks up in the back seats of the cars. Some with kids sitting next to the full tandks. I did explain how unsafe it was but nobody changed their minds.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Zahn View Post
          I loaded my 100 pd full propane tank in the back of my truck on thrusday night. we did lay it down and strap it. The top of the tank was pointing to the back of my truck. On Friday we went to our permanent campsite and unloaded it then hook it up to my trailer. In the past 6 years I worked at a rental business that also sold propane. Many times i loaded the tanks up in the back seats of the cars. Some with kids sitting next to the full tandks. I did explain how unsafe it was but nobody changed their minds.
          Many people think "its not going to happen to me" If I had a dollar for everyone that said that while we were transporting them to the hospital........ I would have a lot more dollars
          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
            Many people think "its not going to happen to me" If I had a dollar for everyone that said that while we were transporting them to the hospital........ I would have a lot more dollars
            Yep--while driving through a wildlife loop a family of about eight got out of their vehicle and started to approach a bison. I couldn't just sit there and watch so I made a beeline for the person who appeared to be the father and told him the youngsters were in serious danger if that bison charged. Even after repeated urging for them to get back in their vehicle they chose to (mostly) ignore me, though the oldest woman in the group did appear alarmed. They weren't speaking English to each other so not sure what they were saying to each other. I drove away--couldn't bear to watch.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Many years ago in Denver (late 70's) while working a construction job an accident occurred across the intersection where a car pulling a utility trailer (small little type for lawn mowers, etc) clip the curb to fast and flipped the trailer. Two 20lb propane bottles went flying across the intersection. One hit the curb knocking the valve off and ignited. Did not blow up as in the movies, but had a pretty good flame shooting out.. Fire department just let it burn out - safer than putting it out and have the propane gas leaking as I learned later in OSHA class.. I also think myth busters did a few shows trying to blow then up, along with my favorite on blowing up water heaters by plugging the pressure relief valves.

I always carry upright and strapped in. The local COOP wont fill if they see it coming out of a car/truck.SUV sitting sideways.
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

My brother worked for the local Coke and later Pepsi company. Friend of the family works for them still.

Everyone talks about the distinctive sound of a falling CO2 cylinder. Friend says when they hear the hiss, everyone climbs.

Brother was in the AF and they had a report from another base (caused lots of stink), one of their airplane spare tires was in the "CAGE" for airing up and came apart. It had 3000 psi in it instead of 300 psi (bad gauge). Needless to say, the cage came apart when the rim came apart (multi piece design). the rim piece went through a brick wall, and several other objects before it hit one of the old metal military desk and shoved it into another brick wall leaving an imprint.

Needless to say, you can issue warning, show what happens when warnings are not heeded, but there are always those that think "THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME", and when it does they want to blame others.

To the OP, I think there is a DOT or RR standard for transport of cylinders horizontal that require them to be placed against the front of a truck bed with the valve pointing rearward. This will prevent the cylinder from shooting out and across. Also being up against an object will minimize the potential for it shooting THROUGH as there is no built up momentum to drive the cylinder through the bed side and possibly the cab.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                X