Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for input on two mods I'm considering

Hello,

I have a mod that I'm considering for my 2021 Transcend 261BH, and I'm looking for input and opinions on feasibility.

Regarding the outdoor kitchen. I've read that some here have upgraded the two-burner cooktop to a Blackstone, which is awesome! But I actually like the cheap factory cooktop--I think it comes from 20 years of tent camping and cooking with a Coleman stove. Anyway, what I hate is having to connect the LP gas line under the trailer every time I want to cook, and then disconnecting it every time I want to close the outdoor kitchen. My connection is far under the trailer and it's hard to get to. What I'd like to do is replace the stock rubber hose with a longer hose, permanently connect it into the quick connect, run it through the underbelly and into the outdoor kitchen space and connect it to the cooktop permanently. It's flexible, so it'll move in and out with the cooktop, and can stay connected even with the cooktop pushed in and the compartment closed. Any thoughts? Is there a glaring flaw in my plan that I'm missing?

Thank you for any help!

Grant
    Last edited by phi413; 04-29-2022, 04:11 PM. Reason: Editing to relocate the second question to the appropriate channel

phi413

Grant

Please separate this, put the tank question in the "Plumbing" channel, then remove it from this post. This will keep the topics seperated.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by phi413 View Post
      Any thoughts? Is there a glaring flaw in my plan that I'm missing?
      Hi Grant--welcome to the forum. Noted that was your first post, so when you get a chance check out the Welcome Letter to New Members: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members Also, if you need help separating your two questions just holler back and either myself or Brian will take care of it. (You're new--it's OK!)

For the propane mod the only issue that brings up a concern is any unintended consequence or oversight since the line will move. There's a lot going on back there--furnace, water heater, black and gray tanks...

The quick disconnect comes off it's own distribution block and is listed with these words: 1/2" QUICK DISCONNECT VALVE EXT COOKTOP 12,400 BTU 1/4" I.D. x 34" FLEX HOSE w/9" EXTENSION

It may be possible to replace the existing line (since it is a single entity off that distribution block) with a longer hose and remount the quick disconnect closer to where you actually cook.

This is all speculation--just postulating a possibility (by looking at possibly old and outdated info). Hope it helps at least present an option or something to consider.

Please follow-up with what you end up doing. Mods are something this forum likes reading about!

Again, welcome.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I think the reason the outside kitchens are on a disconnect has more to do with SAFETY. In the unlikely event one of the knobs gets bumped and turned to a partially on position, the outside kitchen compartment can become filled with GAS vapors that can lead to an unexpected rapid expansion of gases up to and most likely including excessive heat (AKA EXPLOSION AND FIRE).

I know on our TT I hated the gas line having to be connected as it was a Pain and seemed like the line was 3" too short.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

As a compromise, get a hose with a valve. You would have to remember to turn it off when not using propane. I use one with my Blackstone griddle.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220428-203946_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	83513
          Last edited by TedS; 04-29-2022, 07:16 AM.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

phi413 Grant, Welcome to the Family and the forum!
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

All,

Thank you for the responses, and hopefully I've edited/separated the original post correctly. Safety was mentioned, and of course, that's my main concern. I've thought long and hard about this, and I don't love the concept of routing the gas line inside the outdoor kitchen, which means that it's virtually inside the trailer. But I thought about it and realized that that's already true for the lines for the water heater, furnace, refrigerator, and oven/stovetop, so what's the difference? I also thought that sliding the drawer/cooktop in and out all the time may cause a problem, but that also is already true of the fridge and oven, since they're built into the slide. My intention would be to always have the valve under the trailer closed when not cooking for an added element of safety, but that will surely be overlooked sometimes. In the end, I think it's worth trying, since I can always go back to the way it is now. I'll give some thought to the ideas above and post what I end up doing. Thank you all for the help!

Grant

Comment

Originally posted by phi413 View Post
                All,

Thank you for the responses, and hopefully I've edited/separated the original post correctly. Safety was mentioned, and of course, that's my main concern. I've thought long and hard about this, and I don't love the concept of routing the gas line inside the outdoor kitchen, which means that it's virtually inside the trailer. But I thought about it and realized that that's already true for the lines for the water heater, furnace, refrigerator, and oven/stovetop, so what's the difference? I also thought that sliding the drawer/cooktop in and out all the time may cause a problem, but that also is already true of the fridge and oven, since they're built into the slide. My intention would be to always have the valve under the trailer closed when not cooking for an added element of safety, but that will surely be overlooked sometimes. In the end, I think it's worth trying, since I can always go back to the way it is now. I'll give some thought to the ideas above and post what I end up doing. Thank you all for the help!

Grant
                Very much looking forward to a detailed post with pics of what you do. My wife wants me to do the Blackstone upgrade in our Imagine. She says the burners are too low and in the wind basically unusable to get water boiling. I do not know if this is a propane flow issue OR if it is just an issue with the burners....IE takes forever to cook on the factory gear. Keep us all posted!
                2020 Imagine 2400BH
                2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Working...
                X