Do Not Screw Into Front Bay Propane Crossover Tube on a 5th Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Not Screw Into Front Bay Propane Crossover Tube on a 5th Wheel

Due to several threads on how propane lines are run and the discussion of the regulator issues I discovered I had done a very stupid and possible DANGEROUS thing, That is I put screws into the propane cross over tube to hold some of my solar cabling.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0841s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.7 KB ID:	86963
    This is the mistake I made. The square tube in the picture contains a Propane Line that runs from the curb side propane compartment to the drivers side propane compartment.

Step 1 - I turned the propane off at both cylinders, disconnected the propane lines from both and removed the screws.. When I removed the screws I was happy not to smell propane. I also removed the tanks for easy access.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0838s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.8 KB ID:	86964 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0839s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.7 KB ID:	86965 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0840s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.9 KB ID:	86966

Step 2 - Remove the propane line from the curb side regulator. Its a 9/16" fitting. Tape over the end of the propane fitting, and the regulator fitting (not shown). You will smell propane when the regulator is removed - don't panic.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Step 3 - Drivers side
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0843s.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	86968
    GD must have had a sale on foam - this mass was very hard to remove. The other side popped right out.

Name:	IMG_0845s.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	86969

After removing the foam I pulled the line partially out to expose the section where the screws were. I had previously measured the distance co estimate the location. Luckily now damage was found - not even a scratch.

Name:	IMG_0844s.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	86970
    No damage anywhere.

So knowing that I put things back together.

Name:	IMG_0846s.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	86971 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0847s.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	86972

Step 4 will be reconnect the propane tanks and check for leaks using a soapy water solution.

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Just a side note. I pulled the tanks by hand and tweaked my back in the process. Then it dawned on me I had a new hydraulic cart that made the job a lot easier

Name:	IMG_0848s.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	86974 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0849s.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	86975

I also found the new Box Link tie downs very handy when I decided to take the one tank to be filled. I had only used 1/2 of it on the two weeks trip when we went to see my daughter last summer. Most of the time it was just the fridge while driving. BTW I am really liking the new truck - taking a while to remember what all the switches do. The only option I did no like was the easy entry and exit where the seat moved back every time you turned the truck off and then it would move forward when you started it. I found the on/off setting under vehicle on the display behind the searing wheel. Now everything is great. Overall mixed driving is 14mpg right now, but the truck only has 60 miles on it at this point
      So I hope this helps folks think of what they are drilling into before they do it - I should have known.

Keith

Comment

Keith, you may want to keep you eye on the line as the screw probably left a sharp edge on the inside that can abrade the line over time. I would find a piece of plastic pipe that the propane line fits through and inside the square tube and put over the line. You could possibly shoot some of that foam through the hole (makes removing the line later much more challenging) to secure the line to prevent movement and abrading.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          Keith, you may want to keep you eye on the line as the screw probably left a sharp edge on the inside that can abrade the line over time. I would find a piece of plastic pipe that the propane line fits through and inside the square tube and put over the line. You could possibly shoot some of that foam through the hole (makes removing the line later much more challenging) to secure the line to prevent movement and abrading.
          Thanks Joseph
          I injected some of the GD black foam in the holes to help mitigate that. Also given the rough 3000 mile trip with the full screws in there and no damage, I am hoping to be OK.

But you are correct, as the hole itself with the sharp edges could be worse than the screws. I should keep and eye on it and add this to my list of things to inspect.

Keith

Comment

Working...
          X