Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LP tank swap or fill?

20 lb LP tanks - swap or fill?
    Hello, I am a newbie and have not yet had the experience of re-filling the LP tanks on our new TT. This may be a very obvious answer but I wanted to ask. I have two 20 lb tanks and I'm wondering if it is simpler just to swap the tanks for full ones like at Home Depot outside cage kiosk. Is there any reason I should not do this? Is it better for me to get the tanks refilled at an LP refill site? Seems like it should be the same swap process as a gas grill.

I also noticed there is a switch on the front of my LP tanks and gas lines that designates a primary tank and it has a window that may indicate something. (red/green?) I can't see the window because it is facing the TT and too close to see without a mirror. I wanted to add an in-line gauge to each tank like I have on my grill so I can see the levels of these tanks. I'm curious how others have setup a gauge on their gas lines at the tank location.

thanks everyone!
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 280RS, 2022 GMC 3500 Denali crew cab 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel, empty wallet.

I would recommend getting them filled, I think it is cheaper than the tank swap.

The switch and window is the auto change over regulator. The switch or lever is used to point towards the tank that is being used. If you have both tanks on and one becomes empty it will automatically switch to the full tank and display red in the window. You then turn the lever to the other tank, rotate it 180 degrees, and the window should change to green. You can then remove the empty tank and fill it, remember to turn the tank off first. Reattach the new filled tank and turn on , repeat when the other tank gets empty. This is a nice feature but I personally do not like to have both tanks on incase of a leak, then you have 2 empty tanks and a cold RV. There are owners that have put gauges on to tell the level and some also use the Mopeka sensors that mount on the bottom of the tanks, personal preference here to what you would like.

I wonder if you have room to rotate the regulator so you can see the window, I would think it should be pointing forward and not towards the RV.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Have them filled. If you pay close attention to the ones you find in convent locations, you will notice they are 15 lb fills not 20lb. You are essentially paying the same price for a convent pickup but only getting 75% of the producet. And lets not mention that the RV tanks may actually be 30 lb tanks instead (they look close unless side by side). Another thing to note is when you get a bottle from the rack, it's age is a lot of times questionable. It could be 1 year old, or 10 years old.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        If you pay close attention to the ones you find in convent locations, you will notice they are 15 lb fills not 20lb.
        I did not know that. Thanks. Good to know.

I'd fill my own until they were nine years old...then swap them out for one or two year old tanks.....

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

I have noticed recently that some places are filling the cylinders completely full rather than by weight. I have had 2 incidents when a Loves has filled my 30# cylinders with more than the 80% rated capacity. This reduces or eliminates the extra space to allow for thermal expansion and may cause the OPD to vent gas. I got the gallon and weight ratings for my 30# cylinders and wrote it on the cylinder. I think its either poor training or they are so busy they just slam them full to save time. Clearly they have never seen an LP cylinder bleve.
          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I would also be concerned about the age of the tank you are receiving in a swap. If I recall a tank over ten years old has to be recertified. I would be p@#%ed if I gave up my 2018 model tanks for a tank that was nearing its obsolete date.
            John & Cindy
            2019 303 RLS
            2018 F250

Comment

The internal float valve is supposed to close the fill valve at 80%, is it not.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

The triangular shaped handles are referred to as OPD (Howson I think has the best training on this). The Overfill Prevention Device should prevent the cylinder from being filled with too much liquid.

If you fill in a cooler climate and take the tank to a warmer climate, it is possible that they will "VENT" to prevent over pressurization due to temperature differences.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Great advice, thank you all!
                  2022 Reflection 150 Series 280RS, 2022 GMC 3500 Denali crew cab 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel, empty wallet.

Comment

The last time I had it filled I watched the guy and he cracked the bleeder screw on the side of the head while topping it off. According to the counter on the fill station it was over the 80% amount. Its entirely possible that the guy was somehow manipulating the counter in order to overcharge us. Its impossible to tell just like when getting gasoline. I have since written the numbers on the cylinders and will monitor the fill process more closely. Fortunately we dont use all that much propane so we dont fill very often.
                    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

See this discussion of the hows and whys of filling propane tanks.
                      https://gdrvowners.com/forum/propane...e-filled-to-80

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

You'll want to fill a tank at a place that charges for the volume they fill and not a flat rate. Also, you can shop for propane like you do gasoline. I've found that Tractor Supply typically has the lowest price for propane.

Comment

Country Campers Mentioned this, but I wanted to reiterate

The Mopeka Tank check sensors are very popular
                          https://amzn.to/3Oyu5Uf

It's a little ultrasonic sensor that goes on the bottom of your tank, and displays the propane level on your smartphone.

It's also worth getting the halo ring. It's a rubber spacer that replaced the little aluminum one's that come with the sensors. The aluminum one just plane suck, they fall off, they break.
                          https://amzn.to/3zyTDw6
                          Mike
                          2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by TNFSolitude View Post
                            You'll want to fill a tank at a place that charges for the volume they fill and not a flat rate. Also, you can shop for propane like you do gasoline. I've found that Tractor Supply typically has the lowest price for propane.
                            Very true.

My Tractor supply, and BJ's (A warehouse club like Costco and Sam's Club) share a parking lot, and the propane fill's are about 50 feet apart. It's funny that the BJ's non-member price is either 40 cents per gallon cheaper, or more expensive (Depending on the week).
                            Mike
                            2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by TNFSolitude View Post
                              Yes, Tom......agree. A number of us over the years have shared that TSC locations are excellent for filling propane tanks properly and at usually the most competitive price. In our Planes/Midwest areas of our country, farmers and ranchers are key clients and you treat them and all other folks properly. I have supported our local and other TSCs locations for years.

Dan
                              Dan & Carol
                              2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                              2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Working...
                              X