Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chasing a Squeak... Always the Last Place I Look!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chasing a Squeak... Always the Last Place I Look!

I had this constant squeak I could hear while towing at low speeds, like through a campground. It didn't sound related to something rotating, but more up/down/back/forth. Suspension? Hitch? I inspected/lubed all suspension parts on both the truck and trailer. Hitch, no issues. Squeak still there.

Okay, maybe bearings? Blown brake parts? I spent the morning driving back and forth over my stupid Rapid Jack (c/w an assortment of boards) to lift each wheel to inspect. All wheels/hubs fine... no grinding, squeaking, or slop... just the expected little bit of brake drag. As I pulled off the Rapid Jack for the last time, I heard the squeaking loud as ever. What the heck???

For some reason after I unhitched, I pulled the cover off the propane tanks and as I did the tanks moved and squeaked. The threaded T-bracket holding the tanks in place had worked completely loose allowing both tanks to flop around. Voila! 5 seconds to tighten the tanks down and problem solved. The 4 hours on everything else, probably time well spent... yeah, I'll go with that.

Check your C3 bottle mounts.

Mike
    Last edited by NoPeeking; 08-18-2022, 07:12 PM.
    Mike & Sonya
    2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
    Blue Ox SwayPro
    2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Oh man. That's annoying, but humorous. Glad you found it.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
    X