Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV propane for Champion Generator

Hello all,

Looking to get a portable Champion dual fuel generator, something like 200962

I plan to run propane only and would like to use the on-board propane rather than carrying yet another propane bottle

Talked to Champion last night and all she would tell me is the 200962 needs like 76000 BTUs of propane to operate and I had to use their regulator which only connects to a Std propane tank

Has anyone tried running one of these directly off of the low pressure side of an RV (after the regulator), such as the side where the BBQ, Firepit would connect?
    Yes I could un-hook the RV propane regulator and run the generator that way, not ideal but would work

Thoughts?
    Rick

Search the forum. Someone had done this and it took a bit of cobbling of parts due to the way the generator activates the regulator system when running.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

TY, after some additional searching, I was able to find what I need

Rick

Comment

A few things to be aware of running off propane:

You lose running watts when running from propane. Your generator produces 1850W on gasoline, but it drops to1665W on propane. That can be enough of a reduction to go from being able to handle an air conditioner to not.

Second, propane consumption is higher than most people expect. Running at full load, you will go through almost 60lbs of propane in 24 hours. It’s generally more convenient to get a jug of gasoline than to get an LP bottle refilled that often.

Finally, high rate propane consumption can be impossible when it gets cold out. The liquid in the tank has to boil in order to change to a gas. The colder it gets, the slower the gas is produced which can cause problems running things that use a lot of gas like a generator or furnace. The act of using gas lowers the temperature of the tank as well.
        John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

I run mine solely off propane (I've dealt with enough dirty carbs in my snowmobile days to last a lifetime and the generator does not get much use) and run it off the rig supply. I actually added more grill ports around the rig so I can leave mine in the bed when using it, and it works great. Also made an adapter out of the stock regulator so I can use it on a portable tank if I need it at home.

Let me know if you have any questions.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I have the 2500watt generator. I've also done the same as Neil, in that I've separated the propane regulator into the Regulator, and the expansion tank.
            I run my 15000BTU Dometic A/C with the generator running off the grill port.

Any questions, just shout out.
            Mike
            2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

We’ve been boondocking for the last week above 6,000 ft. In the Black Hills where thankfully we don’t need to run the ac.I have our Champion 2500 watt plumbed in to the propane tap and it runs fine. When we first set up I tried running the 13.5 btu ac and even with all loads turned off it shut down. Elevation and running on propane really diminish the generator output.
              2022 GD Reflection 315RLTS
              2020 GMC HD2500 std bed w/ARE topper and slider deck.

Comment

Yes, I don't think mine is made any more but I think it's 3500 watts (gasoline) or so. They did not make the little suitcase one at the time, but if I was planning to run it off propane and wanted to run the AC and elevation was a consideration I'd either be paralling two, or going with the bigger one.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Toy4Rick View Post
                  TY, after some additional searching, I was able to find what I need

Rick
                  Hey Rick, could you please tell us more about how you did this? I'm too lazy to search😁 Thanks in advance.
                  John and Karyn
                  Hillsboro, Oregon
                  2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Comment

Hi John,

I wrote a post on it, and between me and howson we have a pretty good step by step written up

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/propane...ropane-adapter
                    Mike
                    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
                      Hi John,

I wrote a post on it, and between me and howson we have a pretty good step by step written up

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/propane...ropane-adapter

Thank you Mike for the link. Excellent write up by both of you. I just purchased a 2500 watt Champion Dual Fuel generator and am anxious to do the mod to use the onboard propane port. This forum rocks!
                      John and Karyn
                      Hillsboro, Oregon
                      2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Comment

I’m researching how to connect a grill and/or generator to the trailer propane at the connection under the galley.

I get an invalid URL message when I try to go to: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/propane...ropane-adapter.

Any suggestions how to access links in prior threads?
                        2022 Reflection 280 RS
                        2020 Silverado 2500 HD

Comment

BR549

Try this RV to Champion Generator Propane Adapter - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thank you. That worked.
                            2022 Reflection 280 RS
                            2020 Silverado 2500 HD

Comment

I use my Champion 3500w dual fuel the same way all the time.

Not having to carry gasoline is one of the +'s I like.

I can run my 15k AC no problem. I'll bet it will even run both AC's starting one at a time. but I haven't needed to try that yet.

Have had Champion generators for years. Customer support is outstanding when you need them. It's almost like having a lifetime warranty. They're that good.
                              USN Engineer Retired
                              2020 RAM 2500 CC 6.7 Cummins
                              2022 GD Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

Working...
                              X