Propane Pigtail ACME Fitting Integrity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane Pigtail ACME Fitting Integrity

When I refilled a propane tank toady I noticed the ACME nut on both tank supply pigtails had started to crack. As with many of you, I replaced the regular (per the recall notice) with an in-kind Flame King c/w pigtails purchased on Amazon. The assembly has been in-use 14 months. Fortunately, I had a spare set of hoses and the swap-out was easy.

Check your fittings...

Mike

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4216.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	94375
    Mike & Sonya
    2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
    Blue Ox SwayPro
    2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

NoPeeking Wow that is am impressive amount of wear. I see you have an Imagine TT, do you keep the cover on the tanks or run without? First thing I would suspect there is UV wear from being in the sunlight.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Are the "green ends" supposed to be used on RV's?

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
        NoPeeking Wow that is am impressive amount of wear. I see you have an Imagine TT, do you keep the cover on the tanks or run without? First thing I would suspect there is UV wear from being in the sunlight.
        Hi Neil, yes the tanks are always covered and the trailer sits in barn storage 6 months of the year.

Mike
        Mike & Sonya
        Blue Ox SwayPro
        2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          Are the "green ends" supposed to be used on RV's?

Brian
          Hi Brian, hmmm... good question. My unit was delivered with green ends so that's what I replaced with. I'm open to discussion on this...

Mike
          Last edited by NoPeeking; 09-08-2022, 04:57 PM.
          Mike & Sonya
          Blue Ox SwayPro
          2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post

Hi Brain, hmmm... good question. My unit was delivered with green ends so that's what I replaced with. I'm open to discussion on this...

Mike
            Country Campers

Mike / Bryan
            That is a good question. My OEM ACME fittings are green too, but according to this information on eTrailer, there is a difference in light green vs. dark green

https://www.etrailer.com/question-331973.html

I wonder if the BTU/Hr ratings are similar to that of the regulators, where they are rated for a maximum supply rate as opposed to a minimum.
            2019 Imagine 2400BH
            2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

Country Campers

Mike / Bryan
              That is a good question. My OEM ACME fittings are green too, but according to this information on eTrailer, there is a difference in light green vs. dark green

https://www.etrailer.com/question-331973.html

I wonder if the BTU/Hr ratings are similar to that of the regulators, where they are rated for a maximum supply rate as opposed to a minimum.
              The plot thickens... for GD reimbursement of the regulator purchase I had to provide results of an LP Drop Test. My dealer performed the test and the regulator/pigtails (pictured above) were within spec. I understand the drop test to be specific to pressure and different coloured fittings relate to flow(?).
              Mike & Sonya
              Blue Ox SwayPro
              2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

I am not sure if the flow rater, in btu's, has anything to do with the 11" WC or not, I would guess not though. The flow rate would have a direct effect on the output of the appliances. With the fridge, water heater, and furnace all running on propane I would guess that they would eat up quite a bit of flow. Would the "low" flow black end have an effect on this performance?, I would think so.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Reading through the Marshall Excelsior RV catalog, I can see that they have two styles of hoses, Green and Red (Thankfully no light green and dark green...). The Green hose is listed for 200,000 BTU/h, whereas the Red is listed for 400,000 BTU/h. I can also see their 'standard' regulator is rated at 225 kBTU/h maximum, the 'high capacity' is listed at 350kBTU/h, and the 'low' is 175 kBTU/h.

Based on that, I would say if you have the high capacity model, and wanted to fully leverage its output you would want to install the red hoses. Otherwise green would be sufficient. I would agree the BTU/h rate would not impact that 11"WC output of the regulator, as the regulator's job is to maintain that pressure across various usage loads. That is assuming you are staying within the capacity limits of everything. Like Brian notes above, having the 'low' gear and exceeding it's capacity would give you grief.

It's interesting reading through that catalog, they list a regulator for 1,200,000 BTU/h at 40PSI, which is a couple smidges above 11"WC. Long story short, order the right parts or leave it with a pro.

Catalog for those interested, the regulators are on pg5 and the hoses are on pg14...
                  https://www.marshallexcelsior.com/si...%20Catalog.pdf
                  2019 Imagine 2400BH
                  2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

FYI......11"WC is a little under 0.5psi.. for those not realizing Stephens sarcasm...lol
                    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Working...
                    X