Quick Connect Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Connect Question

So I have used the propane connect on other rigs for my outside firepit and grill. I was surprised when I connected to the GD propane and found that it was low pressure and would not work for either of these. What is this used for?
    Blessings,
    Kevin & Tracy
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB
    2016 Chevy Silverado 1500

Originally posted by kcgaz View Post
    So I have used the propane connect on other rigs for my outside firepit and grill. I was surprised when I connected to the GD propane and found that it was low pressure and would not work for either of these. What is this used for?
    The quick connect on ours was for the outdoor kitchen 'stove'. Yes, I did mean was, and to use the term stove loosely, as the little grill had such low BTU output that it left a lot to be desired. We've since removed that stove and purchased a free standing real LP stove with much more output, that I can actually percolate coffee when boondocking.
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

The quick connects on GDRV units are installed after the primary regulator. This means that they are already regulated to 11" of water column. So if any of your after market devices have a built in regulator, they will not work with the GDRV quick connect.

But some devices such as grills , etc. can be modified to run on a direct connection to the quick connect. It basically consist of an adapter that replaces the device's built in regulator. For example, Blackstone grills are very popular with RV owners. You can purchase an adapter hose which takes the Blackstone regulator out of the loop. If you have a Weber grill, they sell an adapter kit that allows you to connect directly to the RV's quick connect.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Jim is exactly right. I use mine for a Blackstone, my Champion propane generator, and by Outland fire pit.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Yupper. I learned about this when I first tried my Blackstone…. After picking up a non-regulated hose, all is well.
          Chad, Heather, a kid or two, and Scout the Doodle dog

2021 Imagine 2500RL
          2018 Crew Max Tundra Platinum

I can’t leave things stock…

Comment

I noticed when I use my Blackstone the flame output is not as high as if I just connect it straight to the bottle and use the regulator. Any suggestions?
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2 -- check the camper's regulator output under load. My guess is it's less than 11" WC.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Jlawles2 Something is funny there, I’ve got the two burner larger Blackstone and get the same output from the rig. You’re not going through the Blackstone regulators are you? You want an adapter like this right off the grill into a hose to the rig.

DOZYANT 1/4 inch RV Quick Connect Adapter Conversion Fitting Elbow for Blackstone Tabletop Grill - 17 Inch and 22 Inch Portable Gas Griddle https://a.co/d/7iWQpMm

Neil Citro

Comment

ncitro This is the fuel line I am using. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

That should work, I’d check your regulator output as Howard suggested. If that’s fine then I’d try a new hose.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                      Jlawles2 -- check the camper's regulator output under load. My guess is it's less than 11" WC.
                      How do you do that Howard?
                      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

How do you do that Howard?
                        With a manometer. (Google the term for more information.) Search on YouTube using check an RV's propane regulator using a manometer and there are several examples. (I can't vouch for any specific video.)

What we learned in school is how to check at the stove and also at the output of the secondary regulator. Since my 315RLTS has an external connection (for a camp stove) I made up an adapter that plugs into it so I don't have to disturb any propane lines to test the regulator's output. Adjusting the regulator is simple once you know how to do it.

What many don't know is just because the output of the regulator is sufficient under load, that doesn't mean there's sufficient pressure at the malfunctioning appliance or, if the appliance has it's own step-down regulator (like the stove), that the output of the appliance's regulator is sufficient. Thankfully this is a rare problem, thus why we don't read about it often on this forum. (Can you imagine if it was a problem as frequent as all the GFCI threads???)

The water column (WC) test is not hard, but getting it wrong can have dire results. IMO this is a task best learned from hands-on training, it's not something to "learn by experience" on your own. In fact, where I live (in Florida) a separate, propane-system specific license is required by the state for a business to work on an RV's propane system. The consequences of getting it wrong are also why GD insisted on the test as a condition to close the recent regulator recall.

Some may want to debate my stance because a regulator can be bought off-the-shelf without a test. They are right that you can go to any RV store and buy a regulator and install it without a test...but there's no guarantee the regulator will be set correctly without verification and I would not trust it without a manometer test.

Howard

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

What we learned in school is how to check at the stove and also at the output of the secondary regulator.
                          Howard
                          Secondary regulator? Please elaborate.

Stove step down regulator...what does it step down to? It is fed with 11"wc..correct? Do all newer stoves step down?

Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                            Secondary regulator? Please elaborate.

Stove step down regulator...what does it step down to? It is fed with 11"wc..correct? Do all newer stoves step down?
                            Lousy word choice on my part -- better is "two stage" regulator.

Most stoves, TTBOMK, have an additional regulator installed as a safety measure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	regulator 1.jpg
Views:	913
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	99440

Click image for larger version

Name:	secondary.jpg
Views:	877
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	99441

From my RVSA school notes,

Regulator
                            Small non-adjustable propane regulators have been a mandatory component since the mid 1980s. Ranges prior to this were not required to have an appliance propane regulator. The purpose of the regulator is to ensure that the system operates at a consistent pressure. If subjected to pressure of 18 in WC or higher the appliance propane regulator shuts off the flow of propane to the range. If the main propane regulator failed and a subsequent appliance regulator were not in line at the cooktop excessive propane container pressures could enter the range and cause a very large flame or explosive condition.​

We were taught how to check before and after this appliance regulator. Most stoves, if you open the range top, have test points or there's an easy way to insert a test adapter. Naturally (sarcasm--sorry) it's difficult on the Furrion stove.

Again, these additional appliance regulators rarely fail (in my limited experience) and they are not something the vast majority of RV owners will (or should) mess with IMO.

Howard

Comment

OK, so the stove regulator expects an input of 11" and regulates it to 10".
                              Excuse my ignorance...but how is adding another regulator an additional safety? Usually two regs in series is a no-no. No?

I have a gas ticket and never previously came across series regulators in industry.
                              Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 11-14-2022, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X