Solar Panel Mount Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Panel Mount Position

Post below was copied from Todd's Battery Discharge When On Shore Power thread. As it's a new topic it's better to discuss in a separate thread. -Howard (moderator)

On another subject, I am making progress on the roof mount of the solar panels. Question for the forum, see attached where I am using the Renogy adjustable panel mounts so that I can remove them if required without having to scrape up the water proofing / etc....

Anyone have an opinion on the lift that will occur from the panels hanging over the beginning of the nose of the 5th wheel. I would assume most of the air will channel under the panel but a bit concerned on potential uplift being so far forward.

Welcome anyone's option and thoughts on this. Moving the panel further to the rear of the 5th wheel causes issues for shade from the a/c and some walking on the roof challenges. I also provided a view of the overall layout planned. With the 5th wheel only being 30' long there are not a lot of spaces for the 200w panels.

Todd

​​
    Attached Files
    Last edited by howson; 01-21-2023, 09:01 PM.
    2023 Reflection 280RS, GMC 2500 Sierra Diesel

Originally posted by tmakie View Post
    Post below was copied from Todd's Battery Discharge When On Shore Power thread. As it's a new topic it's better to discuss in a separate thread. -Howard (moderator)

On another subject, I am making progress on the roof mount of the solar panels. Question for the forum, see attached where I am using the Renogy adjustable panel mounts so that I can remove them if required without having to scrape up the water proofing / etc....

Anyone have an opinion on the lift that will occur from the panels hanging over the beginning of the nose of the 5th wheel. I would assume most of the air will channel under the panel but a bit concerned on potential uplift being so far forward.

Welcome anyone's option and thoughts on this. Moving the panel further to the rear of the 5th wheel causes issues for shade from the a/c and some walking on the roof challenges. I also provided a view of the overall layout planned. With the 5th wheel only being 30' long there are not a lot of spaces for the 200w panels.

Todd

​​
    For some reason the images dont load for me.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Here are the images again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	172
Size:	855.7 KB
ID:	103836

Name:	image.png
Views:	185
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	103837​​

Comment

Here is my install Solar Install, Reflection 29RS Fifth Wheel - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)​. Our campers are very similar, hopefully this may help.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks Brian. When you mounted the brackets did you try and hit roof joists or just screwed into the roofing board? Also do you recall how long the self tapping screws were to mount? Assuming 1 1/2” that came with brackets should be ok.

Comment

The brackets that I used came with 3/4" long stainless steel screws. These are adequate for mounting the panels. The roofing material is only 3/8" thick or so. I did not try to hit a truss, the layout did not make that possible but I am in some of the trusses. I would not use longer than 1" screws as there are electric wires running through the trusses, 1-1/2" might be too long.

Here is a pic of my 4 panel layout, I will update my thread with this pic as well.

Name:	Solar panels.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	103861

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
            X