Solar Cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Cost

I don't have any solar on our trailer. I can see a benefit, but the cost seems way out of whack with the utility of it. Especially try to run devices designed for 120vac off of 12vdc storage, currents are ridiculous by an order of ten.
    A recent thread made me look at the multiplus price tag. In Canada $2K. and that's just a start.

For those that have solar systems capable of running everything in your trailer....how much do you have to spend to get a reasonably capable system?
    Compared to how much you need to spend to just run the 12vdc half of things? ie running the fridge off propane and using the furnace at night . No inverter. But keeping the battery(s) at a decent SOC.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I don't have any solar on our trailer. I can see a benefit, but the cost seems way out of whack with the utility of it. Especially try to run devices designed for 120vac off of 12vdc storage, currents are ridiculous by an order of ten.
    A recent thread made me look at the multiplus price tag. In Canada $2K. and that's just a start.

For those that have solar systems capable of running everything in your trailer....how much do you have to spend to get a reasonably capable system?
    Compared to how much you need to spend to just run the 12vdc half of things? ie running the fridge off propane and using the furnace at night . No inverter. But keeping the battery(s) at a decent SOC.
    That's a difficult question. There are a lot of variables that will increase or decrease cost for any system.

My current system runs everything in and on the trailer. 10KWH of battery, 1260W solar, and a multiplus that inverts for all AC circuits. Total cost was about $10K. If I used different components, was happy without the Cerbo and GX Touch, used a different inverter (not multiplus), skipped the new distribution panel, skipped on all material to re-do closet and storage area to fit new system, little smaller battery bank, I think I could have saved around $3K or more.

For a small system that just keeps your battery topped off (assuming you already have the batteries you want) I think you can do it for around $1K, You would need the panels (thinking about $500 for around 400W), solar charge controller ($200), wires and fuses/breakers ($300).

If you just want a method to boondock longer, and don't care of it's solar or other means, I'd just get a generator or two and save a bunch of $$. If you really want solar to run your whole system you will pay a lot for it
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

My first step with just batteries seen here Replacing Lead Acid Battery with Lithium - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)​, 2 Lion batteries, Lithium charger, misc items around $2000.
      Second step Solar here Solar Install, Reflection 29RS Fifth Wheel - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)​ , added solar controller, 2-200 watt panels, controller, misc items around $!200
      Full blown system here Victron Multiplus II 2x120v 3kva install Reflection 29RS - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)​ , added 4 more batteries , 2 more panels, Multiplus 2, wiring and misc items around $5000. So I went from $2000 to $7000.
      The prices of batteries are coming down and the SOK seem like the best bang for a buck going right now, those could have saved me a bit of money. Although we do not use this setup that often, about 3 or 4 times a year, it is great to have the ability to go anywhere we want plus if there is a power failure at the campground we do not worry about it, we spent a very hot night at a campground that lost power and it was brutal. Solar is not the answer to everything but the battery bank size will rule what you are capable of. The larger the bank you can afford the better off you will be, a generator can top you off quicker than solar and it also works in the rain and in the shade.

I started with the simple set up and got the bug to go all in. Please look at your end result and work back from there, I have a few items that I had to replace and no longer need which could have saved me a few dollars if I would have looked ahead.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy

The premise of the question itself is not quite right (if you'll allow me to pontificate for a moment). Solar, in an RV, is a way to recharge the battery bank. Unlike a home that has a PV Inverter, our RV setups charge the batteries. (There are exceptions, but very, very few.)

So solar does not run anything. It simply is a way to refuel the power source (the batteries).

acoleman43 is spot on. The key to a boondocking experience (and being able to run everything, 12vDC or 120vAC) is the size of the battery bank, the inverter, and then having a way to recharge the batteries. The latter can be solar or a generator--or both!

Having solar is a convenience. It was great when the DW and I boondocked in Jasper, Alberta (Canada). I never had to use my generator. (Air conditioning wasn't needed.) Everything else in the camper got all the power it needed. I even charged my friend's 297RSTS by plugging his camper into one of my camper's 120vAC outlets since I had full batteries and solar power was abundant! (It was kind of cool--and he was happy to not need to run his generator so long.)

For me the cost was not the factor, it was the convenience and I wanted to learn about solar. From a strictly business-case analysis I doubt anyone could justify the expense versus the return. For the owners who typically always go to full hookup sites, the money they've spent on (factory) solar is a waste of money IMO.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy

Scott. When I was looking at my setup, I took a similar approach as you seem to be. My first step was only considering battery capacity for DC side (no inverter). I did some calculations for normal DC usage (furnace, fridge & water heater - on propane, water pump, lighting, etc.) with some guesstimated duty cycles, and figured I would use ~80Ah of battery capacity in one 24 hr period. So for two days (no charging) I would need ~160Ah. That meant at least 3 100Ah lead acid (50% discharge), or 2 100 Ah LiFePO4 (up to ~100% discharge). I had already decided on LiFePO4 for lots of reasons.

Then I considered adding solar. If I added 2 100W panels, I figured I would get somewhere around 60-70Ah per day assuming enough sun (maybe less, maybe more). Not enough to completely replace my usage, but almost. That would eliminate the need for the extra battery capacity, so I could get away with 1 100Ah LiFePO4 battery AND adding the solar was cheaper than adding the second battery. This would keep me going for 4-5 days (again assuming sun). Longer with reduced furnace use.

So for me, adding solar was actually cheaper than adding extra battery capacity.

I do carry a generator (just in case of no solar) or if I need air conditioning (installed a MicroAir EasyStart). Only ever used it once (so far). We mostly - but not exclusively - stay at sites with electrical hookup.

Just a different perspective.

Adding AC (inverting) is a whole different ball game - made more complex (and expensive) in a 50A trailer (split phase).
          Ken & Sandra
          2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

Maybe not terribly helpful, but... I'm on the minimalist end. Purchases were 4-5 yrs ago so straining the memory on costs:
            - 2 12v Group 27 AGM batteries, total 184ah (on sale Canadian Tire) C$550;
            - 180w solar suitcase c/w 15amp charge controller (on Sale Princess Auto C$300)
            - no inverter

This works well for us on non-hydro sites for extended weekends and occasionally a week at a time. We rarely run the A/C so no need to equip for non-shore power. Any camping during shoulder seasons where the furnace is needed is done on electric sites.

Mike

Mike & Sonya
            2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
            Blue Ox SwayPro
            2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by KSC_Travels View Post
              Scott'n'Wendy

Scott. When I was looking at my setup, I took a similar approach as you seem to be.
              My style of boondocking is just fine without 120vac. Fishing, hiking, and swimming in the daytime, sitting around the fire shooting the ____ around the fire in the evening. No a/c, no TV. . Using the fridge on propane is perfect imo. And we always setup by a lake..so, if it gets really hot, swimming is how we cool off. So I never really looked at installing a solar system.
              But looking at various solar install pics on this and other forums had me wondering how much people invest in their solar systems. To me they look very well done....and very blue...... and when I saw how much a multiplus was in Canada ($2K+)....I thought DAMN! I wonder how much you gotta spend to have a full trailer system? Remember gents, I'm in Canada...all the Victron bits are at least 30% more $$ here. So the numbers you have given me...plus another 30%. But I may start off with a couple panels and one more 100ah lifepo4 battery...for the 12vdc side....then maybe see if I get sucked down the rabbit hole....
              Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Scott'n'WendyI wonder if you could pick them up in the US and mount them in the unit to make it look like they were there before you left Canada to avoid the import duties.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                  Scott'n'WendyI wonder if you could pick them up in the US and mount them in the unit to make it look like they were there before you left Canada to avoid the import duties.
                  I'm on it.....but .....

My brother in law works for Canada Border Services...lol

Comment

I'm on it.....but .....

My brother in law works for Canada Border Services...lol
                    Hopefully he works with the US military mentality "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" and if they ask the second part still is valid....
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Ha Ha. My brother in law is a boy scout in that regard..lol

Makes for a good border guard I guess?

Comment

For us, AC at night is a must in hot weather where we tend to dry camp in the woods early spring and late fall when the nights are cool These large solar systems would not be worth the cost for us. If we were out west on those huge tracts of public land with open skies, it could be worth it. Full timing, most likely in those conditions.

We use propane for the fridge and HWH and have a single LiFeP04 battery. The inverter generator is ran one hour each day. Not hard to tolerate that. The key IMO, is to go Lithium to greatly reduce generator usage and expand from there if desired. You will still need to have a generator with the largest solar system and longer trips.

For those that want to run AC on lithium, your most likely sacrificing battery longevity.

Jim
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2023, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Scott,
                          The simple answer is it always depends on your requirements.

For my family our goal was to be have the ability to camp off-grid for up to a week without having to fire up the generator. Mind you, we don't need a lot... just some basic lighting and pump for water, maybe some occasional heat on those really chilly trips. That being said, my biggest cost was in our two batteries (2 x 6v Golf Cart batteries in series), 1 x 100w panel, 25A MPPT controller. The panel & controller I picked up on Amazon for under $100 each, that and some 6AG wire.

If you're using a newer trailer that's wired for LED, you like us will do quite well. My older 2013 Cougar had the old bulbs (some I switched to LED), but other systems weren't that efficient. So, am hoping my new 2023 2500RL will be much more efficient with its battery use (time will tell).

Mark
                          Mark
                          Current: 2023 GD Imagine 2500RL, 2018 F150 CrewCab King Ranch FX4, Equal-i-zer WD
                          Previous: 2013 Cougar 31SQB, 2015 F350 CC King Ranch FX4, 2007 GMC LBZ 2500.

Comment

Working...
                          X