Factory solar package charging question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory solar package charging question

I've ordered the factory 300w solar package for my 2020 310GK-R. If I'm driving down the road with the inverter on and running the residential fridge, will the solar panel or the truck's alternator be charging the battery - or both?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
    I've ordered the factory 300w solar package for my 2020 310GK-R. If I'm driving down the road with the inverter on and running the residential fridge, will the solar panel or the truck's alternator be charging the battery - or both?
    Both.

However...

The solar panel(s) will only provide amperage based on the amount of sunshine reaching them. (Call me Capt Obvious.)

What is provided by our Fords through the 7-pin is pitiful. I've documented this issue on a thread (as I know you know since you've chimed in on it!): https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...e-battle-borns

Bottom line: IMHO you need enough battery capacity to keep the refrigerator running as if you had 0 amps coming from solar and/or the truck for an entire travel day. ("Travel day" is your interpretation--for me it was 10 hours, or the time from shore power disconnect to shore power reconnect.)

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks Howard

It's good to know the batteries will get charged from both sources while traveling - even if it isn't much amperage.

-Brian
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Did you get a schematic of how they are doing the wiring for the system? I’m curious how they are doing the sub panel and where they are mounting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Glamping4two View Post
          Did you get a schematic of how they are doing the wiring for the system? I’m curious how they are doing the sub panel and where they are mounting it.
          No I didn't. I'm curious as well.
          Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

I’ve asked around and I haven’t gotten anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Glamping4two View Post

The wiring/layout for the new solar option is pretty standard. They're using the 300 W Jaboni panel, Jaboni 30 amp MPPT charge controller, a SurgeGuard 50 amp transfer switch, and the Magnum Dimensions 2,000 W inverter. Wiring from the solar panel on the roof runs to the MPPT in the basement, MPPT charges the batteries; transfer switch moves the sub-panel from shore power to the inverter when shore power is cut. I've read that all outlets except the ACs and fireplace (there may be more) are on the inverter sub-circuit. From a conversation I had with an engineer at Battle Born, the solar panel(s) will charge the batteries whenever there is sufficient sunlight - even when on shore power and the converter/charger is operational on shore power. The stock WFCO inverter/charger coming with the GD units (up until this point) is not designed for lithium ion batteries. It won't hurt them - but it won't charge them all the way (according to the same engineer at Battle Born). I have ordered the newest WFCO lithium ion converter charger to install when our new unit arrives (along with two Battle Born batteries and heating pads for them).

From what I understand, the sub-panel is integrated in the main panel... but I may be wrong on this.

Hope this helps.

Rob
              Rob & Laura
              U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
              2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
              2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
              (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
              Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

The wiring/layout for the new solar option is pretty standard. They're using the 300 W Jaboni panel, Jaboni 30 amp MPPT charge controller, a SurgeGuard 50 amp transfer switch, and the Magnum Dimensions 2,000 W inverter. Wiring from the solar panel on the roof runs to the MPPT in the basement, MPPT charges the batteries; transfer switch moves the sub-panel from shore power to the inverter when shore power is cut. I've read that all outlets except the ACs and fireplace (there may be more) are on the inverter sub-circuit. From a conversation I had with an engineer at Battle Born, the solar panel(s) will charge the batteries whenever there is sufficient sunlight - even when on shore power and the converter/charger is operational on shore power. The stock WFCO inverter/charger coming with the GD units (up until this point) is not designed for lithium ion batteries. It won't hurt them - but it won't charge them all the way (according to the same engineer at Battle Born). I have ordered the newest WFCO lithium ion converter charger to install when our new unit arrives (along with two Battle Born batteries and heating pads for them).

From what I understand, the sub-panel is integrated in the main panel... but I may be wrong on this.

Hope this helps.

Rob
                I would be curious to see some photos of the panels when somebody gets one. Physically I cannot see how the subpanel could be integrated into the main panel. It could be that they are working just one side of the main panel with the inverter, but that would mean all of the heavy loads (AC units and fireplace) are on the other side and it would not be balanced very well. Also that layout would leave the water heater and microwave on the inverter circuit, which while possibly desirable, would be easy to overload the inverter if one were not paying attention. I run a Magnum 3000 watt unit in mine and its a tank, even when it has been overloaded (mother in law with a toaster and coffee maker that did not know better) it just timed out and reset itself after a bit, so this may not matter much in practice.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                  I would be curious to see some photos of the panels when somebody gets one.
                  I wonder if GD has a fully loaded (with solar and inverter) unit on display at the Tampa RV Show. GDRV-Emily or GDRV-Megan -- if there is one there can you take some pics of the power distribution panel and post them, please? Just seeing the circuit breaker setup will "say" a lot!

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I would be curious to see some photos of the panels when somebody gets one. Physically I cannot see how the subpanel could be integrated into the main panel. It could be that they are working just one side of the main panel with the inverter, but that would mean all of the heavy loads (AC units and fireplace) are on the other side and it would not be balanced very well. Also that layout would leave the water heater and microwave on the inverter circuit, which while possibly desirable, would be easy to overload the inverter if one were not paying attention. I run a Magnum 3000 watt unit in mine and its a tank, even when it has been overloaded (mother in law with a toaster and coffee maker that did not know better) it just timed out and reset itself after a bit, so this may not matter much in practice.
                    I will be happy to take photos and post after we take delivery. I will have the basement panel out, anyway, to install an EMS and the lithium-compatible converter/charger. Will be easy to do at that time... but probably won't be until the first week of March.

Rob
                    Rob & Laura
                    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

That would be great Rob. I have to tell you, I am NOT looking forward to crawling into the basement to install my third EMS. At 6' 4", it's painful trying to work inside there!
                      Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

That would be great Rob. I have to tell you, I am NOT looking forward to crawling into the basement to install my third EMS. At 6' 4", it's painful trying to work inside there!
                        Why third EMS? Hopefully not on the same RV! My late wife was only 5'4" (I'm only 5'10"). She used to tease me about having to get a bigger sailboat for standing headroom than she required...

Rob
                        Rob & Laura
                        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Why third EMS? Hopefully not on the same RV!
                          I put one in my Reflection and also my last Solitude. The 310GK-R will be 5th wheel #3.

I'm not sure which is worse - working in the cramped confines of the basement or working with the ridiculously stiff wires and trying to get them attached to the posts in the EMS.
                          Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

I will be happy to take photos and post after we take delivery. I will have the basement panel out, anyway, to install an EMS and the lithium-compatible converter/charger. Will be easy to do at that time... but probably won't be until the first week of March.

Rob
                            Wish they would have used the Magnum Inverter/Charger. Mine was fully programable, just set the voltage to what my Lithiums wanted and boom 125 amps of charging. They take full current right up to 98% then taper a bit for the last 2%. I just turn off the breaker for the factory converter and keep it there as a backup.

Neil Citro
                            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I wonder if GD has a fully loaded (with solar and inverter) unit on display at the Tampa RV Show. GDRV-Emily or GDRV-Megan -- if there is one there can you take some pics of the power distribution panel and post them, please? Just seeing the circuit breaker setup will "say" a lot!
                              Sorry, Howard, I didn't see this until now. I didn't see any solar units on display at Tampa though. I will see if we can get you a picture of one online though.

Comment

Working...
                              X