Solar Charger Not Working - Momentum 25G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Charger Not Working - Momentum 25G

This is resolved, so this is an informational post for others that may run across the same issue.

First--what do you see that is suspect -- or just flat out wrong -- in the picture below?

Click image for larger version

Name:	No Wires.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	109133
    If you said, "why aren't the panels connected to the Jaboni solar gland" you're spot on! Same question I had.

zThe owner then said, "there's another one under the panel". I was surprised--but sure enough there it was!

Name:	solar gland.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	109134

So at the Jaboni solar controller we put a multimeter on the incoming wires (circled in the pic below) from the Jaboni solar gland (so directly from the panels) and measured 0 volts.

Name:	Jaboni controller 1.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	109135

Then the new owner says, "so I wonder if this loose wire has voltage on it?". I was surprised (again) that there was another wire run, and sure enough it had the output of the solar panels on it (>33vDC, which is low for the two panels wired in series but it's very overcast here today).

Name:	Jaboni controller 2.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	109136

So the fix is easy. Remove the wires that are obviously connected to the Jaboni gland on the roof that does not have any panels connected to it (first picture) and, observing polarity, install the wires that are connected to the panels. (The owner was told to cover the panels with blankets to ensure there wasn't live voltage on the wires while messing with them.)

The bonus here is if the owner ever wants to add additional panels (without upgrading the Jaboni controller) he already has a gland on the roof and a wire run back to where the existing controller is, so it would be a snap to expand the system.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

howson were both glands install at factory by Grand Designs? Knowing the layout of the 25G, that's a long, complicated run to install after...
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
      howson were both glands install at factory by Grand Designs? Knowing the layout of the 25G, that's a long, complicated run to install after...
      Yes, factory install. Crazy, huh?
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        This is resolved, so this is an informational post for others that may run across the same issue.
        Did you suggest adding in circuit breakers on the wires from the panels before hooking to the controller? Wold be a good time to do that.. Perfect spot on the wall below the controller too.

Just saying

Keith
        Last edited by howson; 03-28-2023, 10:00 AM.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Did you suggest adding in circuit breakers on the wires from the panels before hooking to the controller? Wold be a good time to do that.. Perfect spot on the wall below the controller too.

Just saying

Keith
          I don't agree with adding a circuit breaker (the safety device) between panels and the controller. A shutoff switch, yes, but not a breaker.

The new owner is overwhelmed with all the new stuff. We'll get to some mods later down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I don't agree with adding a circuit breaker (the safety device) between panels and the controller. A shutoff switch, yes, but not a breaker.

The new owner is overwhelmed with all the new stuff. We'll get to some mods later down the road.
            Interesting line of thought. I installed breakers in case of a panel short / surge as recommended by someone here or from somewhere (Victron, Am solar, etc.). But perhaps experience has changed the thought process.

Thanks
            Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Interesting line of thought. I installed breakers in case of a panel short / surge as recommended by someone here or from somewhere (Victron, Am solar, etc.). But perhaps experience has changed the thought process.

Thanks
              Keith
              I'm surprised this topic is new to you, Keith. This has been discussed many times.

A solar panel is a constricted energy source--even if it "shorts", there's only so much amperage that it will produce. That figure is printed on the back of the panel. As long as the wiring can handle that (or the total amperage if panels are in parallel) maximum amperage (the whole purpose for a fuse or circuit breaker) why have the protective device?

If the protective device is rated for less than the maximum amperage an array will produce, why limit it's potential (and have to possibly deal with nuisance fuse / cb pops) when the panel is just performing at it's maximum potential? I do not know of an array mounted on an RV that can overwhelm the wiring typically used in our installations. (Maybe that Solitude with the foldout panels? The rest of us with our small systems are fine, IMO, as long as the wiring is suitably sized. )

For what's considered an unconstricted energy source, like a battery, the wiring must be protected because it can not handle the amperage a direct short will pump out from a battery bank

I know my stance is counter to a very popular website on solar. I've even added a link (long ago) to his alternate perspective. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/5...r-panel-arrays It's all good. I'm comfortable with my setup.

For the record, AMSolar does not recommend fuses between the panel and controller. Best discussion I can find previously on this topic is from bellis long thread (which you participated in, BTW). See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...3784#post53784

I hope you do not take this response as "calling you out"--not my intent--it's for new readers that may not have engaged on this topic so they can do some research on their own and/or ask questions.

Howard​
              Last edited by howson; 05-20-2023, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I ended up going with a breaker instead of the switch. My view on a breaker is it is just a switch that will protect the wires. If everything goes well and it is designed well - hopefully the breaker never pops. I prefer breakers over fuses, but both have appropriate uses and places....but both are always to protect the wire. I tend toward a better safe than sorry approach though. Conservative and over engineer. What pushed me toward the breaker was the need to shut off AND was told it was code.

Hope that helps.
                2020 Imagine 2400BH
                2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Working...
                X