Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Connections (Series)

TucsonJim ,

I understand series vs parallel. I also understand what happens with shading on a panel, etc. (I've watched a LOT of AMSolar and Will Prowse videos!)

I like AMSolar's connection box and will probably use that to get the wires from the roof to the solar controller.

The one mystery left is how to connect the panels in serial (junction box?). What I'm contemplating is below--8ea 100W panels in four series pairs. The green lines are the parallel wires going to AMSolar's junction box.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Roof with Panels.JPG Views:	0 Size:	35.8 KB ID:	11027

I've seen Renogy's video on how they use MC4 branch connectors on their panels to join them in series.

On your installation, I assume the first box I labeled "S" is where you joined together the panels in series? And the "P?" where they are in parallel and the wires go down to the charge controller?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jims wiring.JPG Views:	0 Size:	61.4 KB ID:	11028

From your materials list (https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/9...=9230#post9230) it appears you used MC4 connections at what I'm assuming is the series box and weatherproof connectors (similar to what AMSolar uses) at the parallel connection?

This is a really long way of asking you to please elaborate more on the physical connections.

TIA!
    Howard
    Last edited by howson; 01-22-2020, 09:03 AM. Reason: Fixed terminology. Thanks, Al! (Serial vs series...sheesh...I knew that!)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Howard

I'm attaching a drone shot of my array and I've labeled the wiring path. The two series paths were combined into a parallel connection with the connectors you have marked as "S" on the photo above. The white box you pointed to with "P" is simply a gland that provides a weather proof path for the wires to penetrate the roof.

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
    X