Adding a suitcase solar panel at times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a suitcase solar panel at times

Here's what I have. 600 watts in parallel on the roof going into the Victron 100/50 after a duel circuit breaker. The breaker shuts off panel feed to the Victron. What I'm thinking is this. Should I be in a position where I would need to chase the sun, under trees and so on, I have a 200 watt suitcase panel I want to tap into the current setup, or, for when I might need additional panel real estate to absorb the sun.

This suitcase has all kinds of connections to charge power stations and other stuff along with M4 connectors being part of that array. The three 200 watt panels on the roof have the same or nearly the same specs as the suitcase so it's a good match.

Now we get into the house electrician no, no. I have a heave duty extension cord that is going to be sacrificed for the power run, 14AWG. The no,no I'm considering is, wire the cord into the Victron panel input via double lugging. Assuming the 14AWG and existing 10AWG play nice and will fit into the panel input lugs/connections of the Victron.

What say the herd please?

Of course if this is a go, I will do the connection after dark. To windy now to consider covering the panels on top.
    Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
    TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

BobinICT Does the suitcase have a built in controller? Most of the ones I have worked with do, in that case do not connect it to your Victron controller, just connect it to your battery (across your shunt if you have one) and go that route.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
      BobinICT Does the suitcase have a built in controller? Most of the ones I have worked with do, in that case do not connect it to your Victron controller, just connect it to your battery (across your shunt if you have one) and go that route.
      It does have a controller somewhat but. The output voltage is 24 so I don't think hitting the batteries with that kind of voltage is a good thing.
      TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

You could add a step down converter or sometimes called a "buck". Put this in between the panel controller and the battery connection. Other than that you could add a buss near the Victron and connect your wires there and then run a pair to the Victron. I would add a switch to the suit case panel so you can easily add this in the mix. A wire pair from the buss to a plug to the outside to a mating plug on the suit case panel to a switch to the panel controller.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          You could add a step down converter or sometimes called a "buck". Put this in between the panel controller and the battery connection. Other than that you could add a buss near the Victron and connect your wires there and then run a pair to the Victron. I would add a switch to the suit case panel so you can easily add this in the mix. A wire pair from the buss to a plug to the outside to a mating plug on the suit case panel to a switch to the panel controller.

Brian
          Brian, thanks for the post but that's a lot of stuff to simply add 200 watts when I want or need to. If the suitcase isn't connected then it's a dead line doing nothing, until, connected. As for running the extension cord, through the hose port hole thingy going out the bottom like I now do for water hookup and Starlink cable is the simplest way to accomplish this in my opinion. I'm also thinking I may just connect the suitcase wiring, extension cord, double lugged in the solar wiring input of the breaker. I just figured direct into the Victron I could shut off the rooftop panels, and go with suitcase only should the top panels be so covered that with them shaded or something I would just run at 200 watts.

Comment

Originally posted by BobinICT View Post

It does have a controller somewhat but. The output voltage is 24 so I don't think hitting the batteries with that kind of voltage is a good thing.
            Where did you find 24V suitcase panels? I've been looking....a lot.
            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

Where did you find 24V suitcase panels? I've been looking....a lot.
              https://massimoelectric.com/solar-panels/

Originally purchased from Costco. Their photos show a controller but it appears they combined photos for a set of hard panels.

Comment

BobinICT

I have been thinking about this setup and was wondering about the VIctron 100/50. Victron states that this is for either 12 or 24 volt battery banks. What I am wondering is will the 24 v input from your suitcase solar panel have an ill effect on the Victron solar controller? I realize that the controller can handle a range of inputs from the solar panels but this input would be from the controller on the suitcase panel itself. I have considered a suitcase panel for our usage at times and am still learning.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                  BobinICT

I have been thinking about this setup and was wondering about the VIctron 100/50. Victron states that this is for either 12 or 24 volt battery banks. What I am wondering is will the 24 v input from your suitcase solar panel have an ill effect on the Victron solar controller? I realize that the controller can handle a range of inputs from the solar panels but this input would be from the controller on the suitcase panel itself. I have considered a suitcase panel for our usage at times and am still learning.

Brian
                  I installed a separate PWN controller I had that needed a job today. Came with my solar kit I purchased from Costco that I never used because I figured the VIctron 100/50 was a better choice. I'm going to test the install this week and will report back.

Comment

You may run into issues with the 2 controllers fighting each other. Your Victron controller has only a set of connections for 1 solar input. What I would have suggested would be to put in a a couple of small bus bars that you could run both solar panel inputs to. Then run 1 off the bus bars to the controller. Should be no issues with this. I would personally skip the extension cord thing and run a set of solar wires with M4 connectors on them to hook to your suitcase and either another set of M4 connectors or something easier to disconnect up near the bus bar in the trailer garage.

The only possible issue with this approach would be if the suitcase had a much different operating voltage than your existing 200 watt panels. If it's close, then all should work pretty well together.
                    Last edited by JPS350; 04-17-2023, 08:10 PM.

Comment

OK,did the test. Started right at solar noon for central Kansas. Knocked the batteries down to 65% SOC. Plugged in the suitcase first to see what it would put out through the PWM controller. About 85 watts. Flipped the breaker for the rooftop panels through the Victron after unplugging the suitcase and had 375 watts. Plugged in the suitcase and hit 456 watts. The controllers played well together it seemed with both being connected to the same connection point of the system. I'm not sure if upgrading the suitcase wiring to 10AWG would make much of a difference but I'm done with projects for a while, hopefully, because we are heading out in a week or so for the next two months. At least I know I can chase the sun if needed and supply additional solar if needed.

Comment

Working...
                      X