Document Your Solar System (Please!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Document Your Solar System (Please!)

I'm knee-deep into my research for solar components and I see in many sig lines (like yours, KamFlyer / Rob)--that you have solar. I'm interested in your system from panels to the charge controller. Series, parallel, or series/parallel pairs; and why? What junction box did you use to get from the roof to the charge controller? Did you use the panel's OEM mount ("Z" clips) or something else? Tilting or non-tilting mounts? 10ga wire on the roof? What about from the junction box down to your charge controller--4 or 6ga?

I've already decided to get a Victron SmartSolar (bluetooth enabled) controller. Amperage rating of the controller is TBD--depends on the wattage of the system I end up with and calculated using AMSolar's ((Total Wattage*90%)/12))=Amperage of Charge Controller equation.

I already have an inverter and Battle Born batteries (see system diagram below). When the system was designed it was made "solar ready" with a second Blue Sea cutoff switch, so I already know where the output of the solar controller will connect to my existing system. It may benefit others, though, to describe your entire system to understand component selection choices so type away if you're so inclined.

If there's anything I'm not considering or I haven't asked and you think I need to consider it, please(!) share your thoughts.

TIA!

-Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	System Diagram.JPG
Views:	1905
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	11140
    Attached Files
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Hi Howard.
    I have 9 HiTech 200W panels, all in parallel, in three groups of three. I wanted to go all parallel to minimize any shading issues as I have several larger items on my roof. Also these panels fit nicely between the A/C's and the edge of the roof. I did install tilt mounts but hope to not have to use them. I ran 3 pairs of 4 ga welding cable from each combiner (home made from 4x4x4 PVC electrical boxes and ground bus bars) box to the basement via the factory cable channel. I have 3 Blue Sky 3024i charge controllers, one for each 3 panel array. They are all controlled via a Blue Sky IPLNPro remote and a Blue Sky Universal Communications Module which allows me to control everything via my laptop. The CC's feed 4 Battle Born 12V 100AH Lithium batteries which in turn drive a Magnum MS2812 inverter charger. I also use a Bogart Trimetric battery monitor. I like it for it's nice bright LED display so I can easily see it from across the room.
    We are currently in Quartzsite and I haven't even pulled the generator out since around Christmas when we had several days of heavy overcast. This combination seems to nicely provide for our somewhat heavier than usual needs! lol
    -
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
    Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by KamFlyer View Post
      I have 9 HiTech 200W panels...
      All I can find is "HighTec" panels--is that the panel you're referencing?

Edit: I figured it out--yes, it's Hightec! Those 200W panels are interesting...
      Last edited by howson; 01-23-2020, 04:40 PM.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Yes, these ones - https://www.continuousresources.com/...5-busbar?aff=5
        -
        2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink

Comment

I have had my system since 2016 and this summer moved it from our old toy hauler to our 2020 351. System consists of 2 320 watt Solar World 24 volt panels in parallel mounted to roof with homemade mounts that are tiltable. 10 gauge panel wires are in conduit to a 8 x 8” pvc electrical box screwed to roof over factory chase. Combiner box has two junction strips that panels wires attach to. 4 gauge welding wire runs from combiner box junction strips thru factory chase to basement. I use 60 amp Morning Star tri-Star Mtpt controller, an AC 60 amp disconnect mounted on side of controller, Magnum 2000 watt inverter/charger and a 5 circuit sub-panel. Batteries are 4 6 volt golf cart batteries in custom box. Have remote monitors for controller and inverter/charger plus a Trimetric meter. System has always worked great but have learned the 351 sucks a lot of power just sitting parked. With everything off including 12 volt switch, draw is .5 amps. Rig is never plugged in and batteries stay charged. Today snow covered more than 50% of panels and still was harvesting 7 amps under foggy skies. If 12 volt switch was on, batteries would run down below 50% on these cloudy/foggy winter days.

Comment

Howard @howson,

Looking for the busbars you used and have been searching the site for them. Could you pass on a link?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
              Howard @howson,

Looking for the busbars you used and have been searching the site for them. Could you pass on a link?

Jim
              Below is what I ordered and used. One minor note--the large 4/0 cable lugs don't quite fit with the cover installed, so the 'legs' on the cover splay out a little. Just don't want you to be surprised.

Name:	Leg.JPG
Views:	1080
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	16475

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:	busbar.JPG
Views:	1097
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	16474

Comment

Thanks Howard,

This should not be a problem for me since I am tying in 4AWG and 8 AWG wiring.

Jim

Comment

I installed 4 150 Watt monocrystaline panels, a pair of 2 ea. panels in series, each of those pairs in parallel. Didn't use a combiner box, just the MC4 connectors. Here's a link. Same price as I paid in early 2018.

https://www.mightymaxbattery.com/p3532907/150-watt-monocrystaline-solar-panel.html

What I liked was the compact size for the wattage -- and the free-shipping price.

Came down thru the OEM chase with 8 AWG into an
                  EPEVER Tracer 4210AN MPPT Solar Charge Controller -- 'cause it was cheap. BIG mistake. It died over the 2018-2019 winter and the parasitic currents almost killed my AGM battery bank. My new controller is a Victron 100/50. Highly recommended. Bluetooth!

I used inline 20 amp (? I think) fuses on the roof at each series pair, a 30 amp re-settable circuit breaker on the line coming into the charge controller, and a 50 amp re-settable breaker on the line coming out. These breakers allow me to easily disconnect the panels and the controller from the system. Highly recommended. I use them all the time.

-Steve

2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                  Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                  2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                  18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                  640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                  Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                  Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Came down thru the OEM chase with 8 AWG
                    Sorry. It was 10 AWG:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075424L8R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Steve
                    Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by KamFlyer View Post
                      Hi Howard.
                      I have 9 HiTech 200W panels, all in parallel, in three groups of three. I wanted to go all parallel to minimize any shading issues as I have several larger items on my roof. Also these panels fit nicely between the A/C's and the edge of the roof. I did install tilt mounts but hope to not have to use them. I ran 3 pairs of 4 ga welding cable from each combiner (home made from 4x4x4 PVC electrical boxes and ground bus bars) box to the basement via the factory cable channel. I have 3 Blue Sky 3024i charge controllers, one for each 3 panel array. They are all controlled via a Blue Sky IPLNPro remote and a Blue Sky Universal Communications Module which allows me to control everything via my laptop. The CC's feed 4 Battle Born 12V 100AH Lithium batteries which in turn drive a Magnum MS2812 inverter charger. I also use a Bogart Trimetric battery monitor. I like it for it's nice bright LED display so I can easily see it from across the room.
                      We are currently in Quartzsite and I haven't even pulled the generator out since around Christmas when we had several days of heavy overcast. This combination seems to nicely provide for our somewhat heavier than usual needs! lol
                      Finally got around to diagramming my system. Still have the A/C side to include, but this covers all the DC side stuff.
                      -Rob-
                      Attached Files
                      -

Comment

Forgot to mention Z-brackets for the PV panels. Most don't get the panel very high off the roof. I found some (very expensive ones) that give you 3 full inches of roof clearance: TEMco:

https://temcoindustrial.com/temco-sb...z-bracket.html
                        • 304 Stainless Steel Brackets and stainless steel hardware for the ultimate protection against rust and corrosion.
                        • A full 3" clearance between solar panel and surface for greater heat and hot air dissipation.
                        • The bracket has a wide 4" x 1.75" base for a secure mount to your surface.
                        • Brackets are designed with tabs for ease of installation and securing the bracket to your solar panel.

-Steve
                        Somerset, WI

Comment

We have been using our solar system for three years now. We mostly boondock, so we rely on it, and it has worked out very well for us. Attached are the wiring diagram and components list. The battery bank is two Trojan 6v, and I use the original 12v as a backup.
                          Dave solar purchases.pdf 27RL solar electrical system June 2017.pdf
                          2016 Reflection 27RL
                          2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                          B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

I don't want to derail this thread but what software are you guys using to document your solar systems?
                            Brian & Kellie
                            2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                            2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                            2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                            2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
                              I don't want to derail this thread but what software are you guys using to document your solar systems?
                              The majority of the drawings you see on my threads are in Photoshop. For simple drawings I use PowerPoint and save a copy as a jpg.

Comment

Working...
                              X