Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Panel Cleaning

Searched this and did not really find anything

What are folks using to clean thier solar panels? Are there any products that help keep them clean? What about waxing? In the past I have just mopped them off and rinsed them with whatever product I am using on the trailer. We get a lot of dirty rain hear, where the rain drops collect dust on the way down.

What prompted this was I was at a home and garden show Sunday (collecting reusable grocery bags) where one solar company was touting thier cleaning product and service that supposed kept them clean for a year (dust would not stick once treated) I asked for the product name and they said it was thier own formula....looked like Raine X in the orange bottle BTW. They did have some information (DOE study) where dust can reduce panel output by 10 to 30%. Maybe that was a sales gimmick. They did have a nice grocery bag though - the ones with the hard bottom panel

Thanks for any thoughts?

Keith

PS why the reusable grocery bag hunt? Durango went bag less and in my travels I have found other towns the same, so wanted a supply for my car and the trailer.. If you want a bag its .85 cents for a very cheep reusable.

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

I will bring you as many grocery bags as you want to the Rally.
    I just use what I am using to wash the camper or the roof to clean the solar panels.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I used the wash wax all that I use on the rest of the unit. Seems like they are a little less dusty/dirty since doing it.
      Scott & Mikaela
      2022 375 RES
      2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Thanks Folks - that is the easiest way as I can do it from a ladder

BTW are any of the new ceramic wash and wax products any good for our trailers. I use Mothers wash and wax currently.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
          Thanks Folks - that is the easiest way as I can do it from a ladder

BTW are any of the new ceramic wash and wax products any good for our trailers. I use Mothers wash and wax currently.
          I use Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic 2 Part System Wash 'n Wax with good results.

Mike
          Mike & Sonya
          2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
          Blue Ox SwayPro
          2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
            They did have some information (DOE study) where dust can reduce panel output by 10 to 30%. Maybe that was a sales gimmick.
            I have the single 300w factory solar panel on my 310GK. I've seen as high as 275w output on my Jaboni readout in the passthrough. The readout was 143w at 11a on a beautiful sunny Moab day the other day. I went up and cleaned the panel with window cleaner. It didn't "look" that bad, but my paper towels were turning green with all of the pollen I was removing. The readout increased to 263w.
            Pat and Karen
            2021 Solitude 310GK, Full Body Paint, Dual Pane Windows, Heat Pump, Slide Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes, Splendide W/D Stacked Pair

Comment

Originally posted by pengle View Post

I have the single 300w factory solar panel on my 310GK. I've seen as high as 275w output on my Jaboni readout in the passthrough. The readout was 143w at 11a on a beautiful sunny Moab day the other day. I went up and cleaned the panel with window cleaner. It didn't "look" that bad, but my paper towels were turning green with all of the pollen I was removing. The readout increased to 263w.
              Thanks for that Pat. I need to run a similar test to see what the change in output is on my array.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
              X