No announcement yet.

Inaccurate Replacement Lithium Converter Information from Battle Born Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inaccurate Replacement Lithium Converter Information from Battle Born Batteries

Heads up. If you are installing LiFePO4 batteries, and switching to a lithium dedicated converter, you'll want to install the correct model. Battle Born Batteries has been advising their customers to replace the WFCO 9855 converter with the Progressive Dynamics PD9145ALV model. I have now seen three customers that have made this mistake. This error will not cause any safety issues, but will cause slower charging than necessary.

If you have the WFCO 9855 converter, the correct LiFePO4 replacement converter from Progressive Dynamics is the PD9160ALV. Not the PD9145ALV or PD9160AV (non lithium version). I'm attaching a link and photo which shows the conversion table that is provided by Progressive Dynamics.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/lithi...acement-units/

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Thanks for clarifying this Jim. I'm planning on replacing my lead acid batteries with a couple BattleBorn 100ah LiFePO4 batteries (or maybe one of their new 250ah batteries if they are available?) when my new RV arrives. I will also replace the factory converter at the same time with the Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

We need a new Topic on Lithium battery and charger options.

Back to inaccurate chargers...

Jim

Comment

Just an FYI: WFCO has a new charger/converter for lithium ion batteries - WF-9850L2. It's a LOT less expensive than many of the alternatives.

Rob
        Rob & Laura
        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
        2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
        2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
        (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
          Just an FYI: WFCO has a new charger/converter for lithium ion batteries - WF-9850L2. It's a LOT less expensive than many of the alternatives.

Rob
          Interesting Rob.

I see that WFCO states their model is for Lithium Ion batteries. Whereas Progressive Dynamics states theirs is for LiFePO4 batteries. Personally, i would never install a lithium ion battery in my RV due to the risk of fire.

One other aspect. PD's charger charges at a continuous 14.6VDC, and throttles back the current as the LiFePO4 batteries near full charge. The WFCO version throttles down the voltage to 13.6 which is very similar to the profile a Lead Acid charger has.

Prices for the WFCO model run about $35-$40 less than the PD model.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie

Comment

I've looked into the WFCO charger for lithium and it is cheap. Also been intrigued with the AIMS chargers since they have a battery temperature input and can adjust the charge accordingly. Another nice feature is the dip switches that will adjust from 12 to 24 volt and will also accommodate all battery types. So for me where I will most likely have a single lithium battery, if a failure on the battery occurs, I can purchase a standard deep cycle, adjust the dip switches and use this battery as a temporary fix.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Interesting Rob.

I see that WFCO states their model is for Lithium Ion batteries. Whereas Progressive Dynamics states theirs is for LiFePO4 batteries. Personally, i would never install a lithium ion battery in my RV due to the risk of fire.

One other aspect. PD's charger charges at a continuous 14.6VDC, and throttles back the current as the LiFePO4 batteries near full charge. The WFCO version throttles down the voltage to 13.6 which is very similar to the profile a Lead Acid charger has.

Prices for the WFCO model run about $35-$40 less than the PD model.

Jim
              Jim,

Where are your batteries mounted?

I've been planning on installing a lithium battery in the OEM location.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Jim,

Where are your batteries mounted?

I've been planning on installing a lithium battery in the OEM location.

Jim
                Jim,

I have all three Battle Born batteries mounted on the tongue of the trailer due to limited storage in our unit. The drawback is that I have to prepare for camping in low temperatures where the BMS might shut them down. Fortunately where I camp, this rarely happens. Another issue is if they get too hot. I try to park where they are in the shade in the summer, or put a cover over them. The photo below shows the mounting configuration before I placed the covers and locks on the cases.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie

Comment

...Personally, i would never install a lithium ion battery in my RV due to the risk of fire...

Jim
                  Jim,

I have two Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries waiting at the dealer to install. I also would not consider the older Lithium ion technology for safety reasons.

Rob
                  Rob & Laura
                  U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                  2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                  2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                  (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                  Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Jim,

I like the tongue mounting solution and like you do not want to give up space in the pass through. I'm also planning on a cover that will offer additional shade. What I'm contemplating on purchasing is the AIMS 100ah battery, AIMS 75amp charger, and a Victron battery monitor. Nothing wrong with other brand(s) of batteries its just I'm cheap and the AIMS is $749.00 on Amazon. I've also pondered making up a battery with prismatic cells and purchasing a BMS to manage that but most likely I will buy the AIMS. A charger that would charge to a user selectable input on SOC and DOD would be beneficial for my use. Also to have a selection to charge to 50% SOC at the end of my trip would be another great feature but I'm not seeing this out there.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                      Jim,

I like the tongue mounting solution and like you do not want to give up space in the pass through. I'm also planning on a cover that will offer additional shade. What I'm contemplating on purchasing is the AIMS 100ah battery, AIMS 75amp charger, and a Victron battery monitor. Nothing wrong with other brand(s) of batteries its just I'm cheap and the AIMS is $749.00 on Amazon. I've also pondered making up a battery with prismatic cells and purchasing a BMS to manage that but most likely I will buy the AIMS. A charger that would charge to a user selectable input on SOC and DOD would be beneficial for my use. Also to have a selection to charge to 50% SOC at the end of my trip would be another great feature but I'm not seeing this out there.

Jim
                      Jim - The AIMS battery should work, but use caution. The battery management system (BMS) does not have a low temperature cut off like the BB does. If the low temperature is going to be below 32°F, you'll need to manually shut off any charging current from your converter or solar charger. Failure to do so could cause lithium deformation on the battery anode or lithium plating on the cathode and destroy the batteries very quickly. The attached video from Will Prowse and Denis Phares (CEO Battle Born) explains the situation very clearly in the first couple of minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywn-vBjKblI&t=178s

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Jim,

Thanks...this is a nice video. I'm leaning heavily on the AIMS charger that will adjust the charge rate for both hot and cold where it uses a battery temp sensor to make adjustments. AIMS recommendation on storage is at 50% SOC where I've always done this with my Lithium batteries for other hobbies. In the video, they recommend to fully charge the battery and to rely on a self discharge which would settle in at 50%. But I would still run the BB born battery down on a trip and do my best to store it at 50% SOC rather than to let it self discharge. Cell life is maximized at storage levels at 50% SOC and also to reduce the DOD.

I was going to install the battery under the bed since it would be far more stable in temperatures that we ourselves would prefer, but the wife protested on this....Lol. So its going to be mounted out on the tongue.

Jim

Comment

So, Sometimes my mind runs amok with Rube Goldberg ideas. I know this is a little off track from the original post. But why haven't I ever seen anyone mount their travel trailer batteries on the roof? With the LiFePO4 batteries only weighing 29 pounds, you could put four of them in an appropriate tool box on the roof. Sure, it would be fun to figure out all the wiring, but four of those batteries would weigh less than one air conditioner.

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie

Comment

So, Sometimes my mind runs amok with Rube Goldberg ideas. I know this is a little off track from the original post. But why haven't I ever seen anyone mount their travel trailer batteries on the roof? With the LiFePO4 batteries only weighing 29 pounds, you could put four of them in an appropriate tool box on the roof. Sure, it would be fun to figure out all the wiring, but four of those batteries would weigh less than one air conditioner.

Jim
                            You live in Tucson and you ask that question?

Heat. Direct and reflective.
                            2017 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by JeffC View Post

You live in Tucson and you ask that question?

Heat. Direct and reflective.
                              I escape Tucson during the summer months...
                              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
                              X