Multiplus Power Assist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiplus Power Assist

I'm still doing research (and narrowing down what I want) on upgrading the solar on my 2600RB. I am fairly convinced that the Multiplus 12/3000/ is probably the way to go but have a concern about power levels that the power assist can send to the RV breaker panel. From what I'm finding, It appears that I would need to run 6ga from the multi back to the RV breaker panel because the power assist can provide power in the 55-60A (combined) range. The concern I have is that the RV's Breaker Panel is rated at 30A . This seems far out of spec for a 30A breaker panel. I have read where others have upgraded the main in the breaker panel to accomidate the extra power but I really question how safe that is, as I doubt the 30A panel was "overbuilt" to the point that it can handle the extra power.

My thoughts on the overall wiring (120 side) was that the 10ga from shore power to the current breaker panel will be routed through my progressive industries surge (as it is now) but then instead of going back into the RV breaker panel, it will be extended over to the multiplus which will be located in my front storage area. This part seems simple enough. But the return is what I am referencing above. Since I don't have the multiplus purchased yet, I'm not familiar with all its settings. Does anyone know if you can limit the power going to the RV breaker panel? I know you can set the incoming levels so the power assist operates only when the set threshold is attained (at least thats what I think I'm reading).

I have a background in technology but not in solar. This is all new to me and I'm trying to learn as much about this before I dive into it. Any thoughts that can clairify this for me are appreciated.
    Jim & Kathy
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    2022 RAM 1500 Limited Longhorn, Hemi e-Torque, 3:92,
    trailer tow pkg, 4x air suspension, TT TPMS.

Jim. The moderators are traveling and we'll get back to you this weekend.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

No worries guys. Safe travels...
      Jim & Kathy
      2022 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

It appears that there is no way to limit the amount of Power Assist current that is provided by the Multiplus. See:
        https://community.victronenergy.com/...-question.html

That thread of the Victron form explains that you can put a breaker on the AC line to limit the output from the Mulitplus to 30 (or 32) amps so you don't overload your 30 amp panel.
        Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
        2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
        2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Thanks Jimmer, I'll check out that article.
          Jim & Kathy
          2022 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

Kathy&Jim_Imagine I'd think you should be protected by the main breaker in the rig panel being 30A. Assuming your writing goes pedestal Multiplus panel main, if you tried to draw more than 30A then the main in your panel should blow.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy&Jim_Imagine View Post
              I'm still doing research (and narrowing down what I want) on upgrading the solar on my 2600RB. I am fairly convinced that the Multiplus 12/3000/ is probably the way to go but have a concern about power levels that the power assist can send to the RV breaker panel. From what I'm finding, It appears that I would need to run 6ga from the multi back to the RV breaker panel because the power assist can provide power in the 55-60A (combined) range. The concern I have is that the RV's Breaker Panel is rated at 30A . This seems far out of spec for a 30A breaker panel. I have read where others have upgraded the main in the breaker panel to accomidate the extra power but I really question how safe that is, as I doubt the 30A panel was "overbuilt" to the point that it can handle the extra power.

My thoughts on the overall wiring (120 side) was that the 10ga from shore power to the current breaker panel will be routed through my progressive industries surge (as it is now) but then instead of going back into the RV breaker panel, it will be extended over to the multiplus which will be located in my front storage area. This part seems simple enough. But the return is what I am referencing above. Since I don't have the multiplus purchased yet, I'm not familiar with all its settings. Does anyone know if you can limit the power going to the RV breaker panel? I know you can set the incoming levels so the power assist operates only when the set threshold is attained (at least thats what I think I'm reading).

I have a background in technology but not in solar. This is all new to me and I'm trying to learn as much about this before I dive into it. Any thoughts that can clairify this for me are appreciated.
              If you're worried, you can always turn off the power assist function.
              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Kathy&Jim_Imagine -- how often is the 30A breaker blown on the RV now (without the Multiplus)? The only time Power Assist should be required is when plugged into anything less than 30A (like if you're moochdocking in a friend's driveway and the only available power is a 15A outlet).

As acoleman43 suggests, easiest way to bypass this concern is to just turn the feature off unless you know for sure it's needed. Unfortunately it's not a readily-accessible setting (it's in the Multiplus' setup, so either through VRM or via a special cable is the only way I know of to change it.)

If you'd like more info on the specifics on how the setting is changed, fire back.

Howard
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

acoleman43 I appreciate that idea. When reading through the manual I didn't see a way to turn this off.... Thanks

howson OK, your comment is making sense to me. While doing my research I keep running into posts and videos where people are installing larger main breakers into their 30A panels... this does not make sense to me. I guess the 6ga wire from the Multi to the Breaker panel makes some sense as you would not want more than 30A going over 10ga. I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around the potential for more than 30A being provided thru a 30A panel. I think it would make more sense if the Multi provided assist up to the rated panel amperage, the way its worded (or that Im interpreting it) is it could provide more... but I guess thats where the 30A breaker comes into play?
                  Amyway, as usual, thanks for the feedback.

Jim & Kathy
                  2022 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

Jimmer Thanks for that Info. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. After reading through the info from the link you included I feel like I'm not the only one wondering about the output capacity with a 30A panel.
                    Jim & Kathy
                    2022 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

I would not worry much about excess Multiplus output. It's output will not exceed more than your demand.
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

TedS Thanks Ted. I'm slowly realizing that. I guess while reading about the Multiplus and what others have done, some things just didn't make sense. But I'm finding out answers and am getting ready to aquire the product. I just like knowing before buying. Again, Thanks.
                        Jim & Kathy
                        2022 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

howson ncitro acoleman43 TucsonJim and others

Now I am a bit confused. I though the Multiplus output was controlled when you set the max amperage setting on the output (say 30 amp in my case). Does not that tell the system the limit on the power output? I currently don't use the power assist feature on mine (disabled), but sure want to learn more on how it works.

Keith
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I believe that setting is for what size your shore connection is. That does two things, will throttle the amount of charge to keep it below the shore limit, and engage power assist as needed. Theoretically as far as the Multiplus is concerned if you told it you had 30A shore, and had power assist enabled, and wired the 120v side with 10 gauge wire that wire could be overloaded if the main breaker in the panel was larger than 30A. That said remember the breaker protects the wiring not the device. You size it to the wire, so 10 gage wire with a 30A breaker in the panel and it should not matter what the Multiplus is set to. Same as with no Multiplus, if you turn on too many things (more than 30A) in the rig then the main will trip. Having the Multiplus with power assist should be no different in that regard than using a reverse dogbone adapter to plug your rig into a 50A pedestal. The 30A main in the rig will trip and protect your 10 gauge wiring.

Neil Citro
                            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

The boost makes sense if you have a 50-amp rig plugged into a 30 or 20 amp pedestal. The boost will tap your battery power to provide for your higher AC demand, should it be required, so as not to overload the pedestal.
                              Ted
                              2021 Reflection 310RLS
                              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X