No announcement yet.

Solar System Installed in 2019 315RLTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Finally* had some decent weather to install panels. Got half of them done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200214_151132 (Large).jpg
Views:	1126
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	12510

During the install process I tested the output of each series pair. The output was remarkably similar. Result "a" below is a typical series-pair (2ea 100W panels in series) result.

I blocked one panel of the series pair to see what would happen. Result "b" is a typical result. (The wattage varied quite frequently, so the snapshot is literally just that--a moment in time.) I was surprised there was any output. Based on all that I'd read I expected nothing from the series pair when one was shaded.

Result "c" is with all three series-pairs online.

And yes, I'm sore and tired. Yikes--climbing on the roof is for youngsters!

@TucsonJim--since you're in contact with DMB, send him a link to this thread. This solar install is all his fault! (Remember that picture from long ago he posted?)

Name:	Test Results.JPG
Views:	1016
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	12511

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard - Looking great! Your "result B" is similar to what I've seen with a shaded panel. If you get a chance, shade just one cell and see what happens. BTW, when did you move to Canada (temperature in Celsius)? LOL.
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

TucsonJim -- the info below was originally posted in Al's "blowing diode" thread, but I'm posting it again here as the information is pertinent to your inquiry.

As I'd speculated based on the construction of the panel, when I shaded horizontally across all four columns the output of the panel dropped to 0. Didn't matter if it was one cell or multiple cells. If I shaded just the first two or the last two vertical columns, I still had an output from the panel. Hopefully the diagrams below explain why I got those results.

I'll get exact numbers and post them later. (I'm taking a break right now--installing the last six panels!)

--------------------------Below is duplicate info from https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/1...--------------

Let me emphasize the drawings are over-simplified to convey concept and impact, not to teach electronics or account for every source of power loss in a circuit.

First, the panel itself. The purpose for the first drawing in the graphic below was to understand how the system was wired together. As noted, the Eclipse is a 32 cell panel constructed with 4 columns of 8 cells. The diagram of the cell interconnection (I used a battery symbol for each cell) is an educated guess. The shot of the diodes was shot by me of the actual panel.

The rest of the slides were assembled without a lot of techno mumbo-jumbo with the hope of conveying what was happening with limited techno-speak. Those slides will follow next.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide 1.JPG Views:	57 Size:	115.8 KB ID:	12080

The first thing I wanted to understand is how I'd expect the panel to perform without diodes. My goal was to make the diagram easy to grasp--I'd appreciate some feedback (from anyone).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide 2.JPG Views:	28 Size:	78.5 KB ID:	12081

Now what would I expect if one of the 16-cell strings encountered shade? Note (in my over-simplified circuit) that power drops to 0 from the entire panel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide 3.JPG Views:	30 Size:	71.4 KB ID:	12082

Now with the diodes--starting with ideal conditions.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide 4.JPG Views:	30 Size:	89.7 KB ID:	12083

Now what happens when there is a shade issue?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide 5.JPG Views:	30 Size:	55.0 KB ID:	12084

...see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/1...2085#post12085 if you want to view part 2 of this original post...

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Nothing cosmic in this post--just passing along what I did as "food for thought".

If you watch AMSolar's videos, they cut off the MC4 connectors and hard-wire their custom 10ga to the panel.

I've chosen a slightly different approach so I can disconnect the panel easily if required.

What I've done is wire in MC4 connectors to the AMSolar wiring and left the MC4 connectors on the panel intact. I marked the MC4 connectors with heat shrink to make sure I didn't wire them backwards!

Name:	wire1.JPG
Views:	995
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	12537

Name:	wire2.JPG
Views:	980
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	12538

Name:	wire3.JPG
Views:	974
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	12539

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
            ...(temperature in Celsius)? LOL.
            That was for Cate&Rob's benefit. (OK, in reality I didn't know you could change the setting. Found it here: https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2...it-and-trends/)

Comment

The system is fully operational! Whew--that was a LOT of work, and I still have a lot of interior finishing work to complete.

Worked out pretty much exactly as planned. I still have plenty of walking space on the roof, can access the air conditioners for maintenance/cleaning as needed, etc. So far so good!

Name:	20200215_134817 (Large).jpg
Views:	1074
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	12559

Name:	20200215_134828 (Large).jpg
Views:	1189
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	12560

Name:	20200215_134803 (Large).jpg
Views:	1014
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	12561

Yes, it's still in C, Jim.

Name:	Screenshot_20200215-123948.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	12562

Comment

TucsonJim -- some of the measurements were as expected, but some were not.

Name:	measurements1.JPG
Views:	992
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	12564

Name:	measurements2.JPG
Views:	986
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	12565

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                  The system is fully operational! Whew--that was a LOT of work, and I still have a lot of interior finishing work to complete.

Worked out pretty much exactly as planned. I still have plenty of walking space on the roof, can access the air conditioners for maintenance/cleaning as needed, etc. So far so good!
                  Looks great, nice job Howard.
                  Enjoy reading your posts.
                  Looks like you ended up with 6 series strings in parallel.
                  Gene and Kim
                  2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                  2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

Looks great, nice job Howard.
                    Enjoy reading your posts.
                    Looks like you ended up with 6 series strings in parallel.
                    Yes, that's right. For my roof that ended up being the best combination balancing the need for voltage (series connections) with shade-loss avoidance (parallel connections). The wiring is a wee bit overkill, but there's very little loss, that's for sure!

Comment

Great job Howard! I really enjoyed your excellent write up and that you included the reasoning behind the design.

Best regards,
                      Kevin

Comment

Yes, thank you for sharing this project with us Howard. Very helpful for those of us considering a similar project.
                        Brian & Kellie
                        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Finished up the detail work today. The DW's light cord messes up the sight lines, but I'm still very pleased with the result of the project.

Note that the paneling is inexpensive "pegboard" (without the holes) as I couldn't find a match to the OEM panel I broke during disassembly. As you can see, this is in the front closet where it isn't seen, so it works.

The completion of this solar project completes the entire electrical project first envisioned well over a year ago--it's been quite a journey. Now to learn how to effectively utilize all of it! Can't wait to try boondocking at a Harvest Host site.

Name:	Solar1.JPG
Views:	989
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	13110

Name:	Solar2.JPG
Views:	936
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	13111

-Howard

Comment

Did a test tow today--everything was rock solid.

I will admit to one thing I would do differently--I should have bought tilting mounts. With the orientation of my camper in the backyard I'd get more production from the panels if I could tilt them toward's the sun, which at this time of year is low in the southern sky. The other benefit is they'd shed all the items cast off from the pine trees in the lot next to me. The panels are covered in seed pods, pine needles, and all sorts of "tree stuff". Oh well. Maybe a mod in the future. When I get bored.

Comment

I was out experimenting with different settings (not ready to discuss them yet) but CHECK OUT the wattage coming from my 1200W setup! I must have done something right...

Name:	WOW.JPG
Views:	897
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	15106

Comment

Holy cow!!! Impressive.
                                Brian & Kellie
                                2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                                2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                                2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                                2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Working...
                                X