Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anything I need to know before I change my battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anything I need to know before I change my battery?

I bought a battleborn 100A LiFePO4 battery to replace the stock deep cycle battery that came with our unit.

I'm under the impression all I need to do is unplug the panels and then I can swap the batteries out safely. Am I misinformed?

Thanks for any help.
    2022 GD Transcend BH261

Ram 1500 pulling it

You will need to ensure that the solar controller is switched to LiFePO4 battery technology, otherwise it will not fully charge the battery. Also you may need to check and reconfigure your converter to Lithium.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Hortstu View Post
      I bought a battleborn 100A LiFePO4 battery to replace the stock deep cycle battery that came with our unit.

I'm under the impression all I need to do is unplug the panels and then I can swap the batteries out safely. Am I misinformed?

Thanks for any help.
      More information would help. See the Welcome Letter linked off the home page to fill in your signature line. In addition, can you specify the make/model of converter and make/model of solar controller? ( Jlawles2 response basically says the same thing, but with specifics we can provide a more detailed "To Do" list for you.)

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        You will need to ensure that the solar controller is switched to LiFePO4 battery technology, otherwise it will not fully charge the battery. Also you may need to check and reconfigure your converter to Lithium.
        Thank you jawless.

The project was delayed yesterday when I realized the new battery is too big for the box the old one resides in. Solving that when the stores open.

I'm aware of the solar controller button. I'm not aware of the converter changes. I have a 261 BH. I believe the converter is under the sink and to the left?

Thanks again for your help.​

Originally posted by howson View Post

More information would help. See the Welcome Letter linked off the home page to fill in your signature line. In addition, can you specify the make/model of converter and make/model of solar controller? ( Jlawles2 response basically says the same thing, but with specifics we can provide a more detailed "To Do" list for you.)

Howard
        Thank you howson.

Controller...

Furrion net-zero 25A wall mount
        Mppt solar charge controller
        Model: fscc30psw-bl
        https://cdn.accentuate.io/6641527586...7097014132.pdf

As to the converter, I'm sorry, I haven't seen it yet and have no literature in my bundle. I think I need to put the slide out to access it and can't do that until I move it.

It's part of the stock solar package for a 2022 GD transcend 261BH.​
        2022 GD Transcend BH261

Ram 1500 pulling it

Comment

Hortstu

The NetZero solar controller is lithium-compatible, but does require that the operator manually select LITHIUM battery mode (green LED). It's spelled out in the owners' manual.

According to the parts lookup website (link on menu bar above) the converter in your Transcend is part of the Power Distribution Panel (PDP). It's a guess, but I suspect the PDP is the 430034 model.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	326
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	113297​

Open the cover and the model # should be on the label. If there's an "AD" at the end of the model number it's an "Auto Detect" version, meaning it should change over to lithium by itself. Note of caution here that many owners have found this feature troublesome--some have actually replaced the PDP with a Progressive model that has a converter with a manual switch to select lithium (what a concept, huh?).

Hope this helps.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

When I first started this mod the WFCO was the first thing on my list. After calling WFCO, by the way very good customer service, I explained what I was about to do and read off numbers to the person I was talking to and a minute later was told what upgrade was available and I ordered it. It was very simple to remove the 430034 and install the 430118. In order for the converter to detect the lithium batteries I had to discharge them before letting the new converter charge them. After doing this, I was told, and this is true, to look for a blue light after the new converter is installed and battery is being charged. It means the converter automatically switched over to lithium. Sure enough, there was the blue light. It could be a little hard to see when sunlight is coming in. Good luck
            2019 28G Momentum TT

Comment

Hortstu

The NetZero solar controller is lithium-compatible, but does require that the operator manually select LITHIUM battery mode (green LED). It's spelled out in the owners' manual.
              Thanks Howson. I did read that and was messing with all this today.

Installed the battery then held the button to change to lithium. The light turned green and I thought, "well I guess I got lucky." I checked back later and it had switched back to yellow or "sealed." I changed it to lithium again and when I checked back later there were no lights on. I'll check it again in the morning before work.

According to the parts lookup website (link on menu bar above) the converter in your Transcend is part of the Power Distribution Panel (PDP). It's a guess, but I suspect the PDP is the 430034 model.

Name:	image.png
Views:	326
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	113297​

Open the cover and the model # should be on the label. If there's an "AD" at the end of the model number it's an "Auto Detect" version, meaning it should change over to lithium by itself. Note of caution here that many owners have found this feature troublesome--some have actually replaced the PDP with a Progressive model that has a converter with a manual switch to select lithium (what a concept, huh?).

Hope this helps.

Howard
              It helps immensely. Just the fact that you introduced me to the parts lookup link is a game changer! So what if there's no "AD" at the end of my parts number? Look for a manual switch in the box? What if this causes problems. Are there any threads here with recommendations on what to swap it out for?

2022 GD Transcend BH261

Ram 1500 pulling it

Comment

Originally posted by timlsalem View Post
                When I first started this mod the WFCO was the first thing on my list. After calling WFCO, by the way very good customer service, I explained what I was about to do and read off numbers to the person I was talking to and a minute later was told what upgrade was available and I ordered it. It was very simple to remove the 430034 and install the 430118.
                Was the reason you needed to do this upgrade because you were switching to lithium?

In order for the converter to detect the lithium batteries I had to discharge them before letting the new converter charge them. After doing this, I was told, and this is true, to look for a blue light after the new converter is installed and battery is being charged. It means the converter automatically switched over to lithium. Sure enough, there was the blue light. It could be a little hard to see when sunlight is coming in. Good luck
                I'm a little uncomfortable with fully discharging batteries. I suppose that isn't an issue with LiFePO4... How did you know you discharged them enough to make the switch?

2022 GD Transcend BH261

Ram 1500 pulling it

Comment

My gut tells that the converter/PDP has auto detect... But I'm going to do a little more research just to be sure...

Name:	Breaker panel RV auto detect.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	113396
                  2022 GD Transcend BH261

Ram 1500 pulling it

Comment

Hortstu -- I think your "gut" has it right, lol.

For the solar controller, there are many reports here on the forum of malfunctioning Furrion controllers (switching back to lead acid from the lithium setting on their own). If this continues to happen, yours could also be defective. If this is the case, a call to Grand Design Customer Service is in order. Most likely they will send a replacement if you're willing to install it yourself.

If you do replace it, to be safe disconnect the battery's negative lead, disconnect from shore power, and cover the solar panel on the roof with a blanket or something similar. This will remove all sources of 12vDC from the camper. Also note in the controller owner's manual that when reapplying power to the new solar controller, turn on the battery power source first (reconnect battery lead and connect to shore power), then uncover the solar panel. (Alternative is to do the work after dark so no worries about any power coming from the solar panel.)

Howard

Comment

Thank you Howson,

How do I know where the problem is? Is it in the controller or the converter?
                      2022 GD Transcend BH261

Ram 1500 pulling it

Comment

"Was the reason you needed to do this upgrade because you were switching to lithium?" For the WFCO lithium rated converter upgrade=Yes, for the solar upgrade=No. When I purchased it in 2019 I had already determined to have solar. I like the off-grid experience and to have the noise of a generator when I needed to have electric wasn't an option. If I need to cool the inside down I will run the generator for 1/2 an hour but that's about all I use it for. Me doing it all save quite a bit of money and with all the you tube videos out there it was pretty simple also. The only really stressful part of the whole upgrade was cutting a whole through the roof. BTW, I went with Renogy for everything including the shunt.
                        As for the batteries being discharged, I went with two 100Ah with built in BMS which wouldn't allow them to be discharged down below the rated allowable discharge. I think it was 12.2v. Anyway after I switched the converter on and the batteries started charging, maybe 2 hours later I saw the blue light indicating the converter had switched over to lithium.
                        2019 28G Momentum TT

Comment

Originally posted by Hortstu View Post
                          Thank you Howson,

How do I know where the problem is? Is it in the controller or the converter?
                          If the solar controller is switching by itself from lithium to lead-acid, history has shown it's the solar controller that's at fault.

Comment

If the solar controller is switching by itself from lithium to lead-acid, history has shown it's the solar controller that's at fault.
                            So interesting story.

Call grand design this morning and tell them about the charge controler and how i got to this point and they asked me if I'd tried unplugging the device and plugging it back in. I laughed and said no. They said call back after I did that.

On my way out for work I check the charge controler again. I didn't have time to dismantle the box containing everything in the pass through. Just for fun, I switched the charge controler from sealed to lithium again. This was the 4th or 5th time.

When I got home from work it was still on lithium! Hours later it's still on lithium. So I reset the battery monitor to 100A and the capacity to 100% just to see what's going to happen.

Wow also spoke to furrion today. They sent us a questionnaire to fill out. I'll post a copy of that later. They weren't going to replace anything without a fililng or some paperwork.
                            2022 GD Transcend BH261

Ram 1500 pulling it

Comment

Name:	signal-2023-05-30-12-06-17-048.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	113469

Fingers crossed I don't have to send this to curtin and I get everything to work properly.
                              2022 GD Transcend BH261

Ram 1500 pulling it

Comment

Working...
                              X