Lithium safe converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    I think Jim may be correct on the wire gauge being the throttle/bottleneck on reaching anywhere close to fuse rating on charging the trailer battery from the TV alternator. ​​​
    Unfortunately that's not the way electricity works. If too much current goes down a wire it will heat up, until it melts. A fuse is just an easily replaceable piece of wire that's skinnier than the rest of the wire.

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Comment

Rick,

Agree if the load is excessive the wire would heat up (hopefully the fuse would blow first) but a wire that's small and excessively long will still have a larger voltage drop than a larger diameter cable of the same length.

Since the voltage from the TV can vary from 12V to 15V, charging from a straight connection at the 7 pin is not very robust.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
        Thanks Guys,

It will be interesting to see what the 20amp Renogy will do while connected to my 7 pin connector. Its fused to 35amps. I'm getting close to installing the battery and chargers but its going to be a deep freeze in Michigan tomorrow night. And I de-winterized. LOL.
        Honestly even if I only obtain 10 amps I would still be ok since my goal is to be able to control the charge rather than to rely on the battery BMS. I trust the BMS but like the idea of using it as a redundant system. Something else that I did not mention is how the TV can sometimes exhibit voltages over the 14.6V maximum for lithium charging and is another reason for the charger.......to keep the peak voltage to the battery at the 14.1V setting I am using.

Jim
        Jim, did you ever get the 20 amp Renogy installed with your stock 7-pin connector? I too am venturing down this road and want to avoid running a huge charge cable from the truck battery back to the RV.
        2017 Ram 3500 Mega Cab diesel dually, OEM 5th wheel option
        Andersen hitch & 303RLS
        Morryde IS

Comment

John303 John,

I did and it works perfectly. I wired in the ignition activation wire (referred to as D+) to the trailer marker light circuit to activate the charger. I did look into the wiring diagrams for my GMC truck and this showed my battery feed on the 7 pin connector was 35 amp. When I looked at the fuse that was installed it was 30 amp. I suspect the circuit is capable of 35 amp and protected to 30 amp? So the Renogy is running fine with the 30 amp fuse even though I had seen it peak at 27 amps on the input side when first activated. The Renogy from what I remember put out slightly more than 21 amps on a 50% discharged Lithium battery. I'm using the truck fuse for the entire circuit since this would be at the source and a 25amp fuse on the Renogy output. The ignition circuit or D+ is also fused at the truck on the marker or running lights fuse.
          This has all been integrated along with the AC DC charger in the passthrough docking station.

Jim
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2020, 05:07 PM.

Comment

John303 John,

I did and it works perfectly. I wired in the ignition activation wire (referred to as D+) to the trailer marker light circuit to activate the charger. I did look into the wiring diagrams for my GMC truck and this showed my battery feed on the 7 pin connector was 35 amp. When I looked at the fuse that was installed it was 30 amp. I suspect the circuit is capable of 35 amp and protected to 30 amp? So the Renogy is running fine with the 30 amp fuse even though I had seen it peak at 27 amps on the input side when first activated. The Renogy from what I remember put out slightly more than 21 amps on a 50% discharged Lithium battery. I'm using the truck fuse for the entire circuit since this would be at the source and a 25amp fuse on the Renogy output. The ignition circuit or D+ is also fused at the truck on the marker or running lights fuse.
            This has all been integrated along with the AC DC charger in the passthrough docking station.

Jim
            Jim,

A question for you. When I look at the Renogy installation manual it seems they are calling for some good size wires even for the 20 amp model. From the front of my truck to the basement of the 303 must be 25-30ft, so it appears to call for something between 8 and 4 awg wire. My "trailer receptacle" fuse is 30 amp also. I just wanted to confirm that you made no modifications to the truck or trailer wiring, other than redirecting the current charge wire to the Renogy, and from the Renogy to the battery? I also see from the manual that you can modify the charge voltage from 14.0-14.6, which I am guessing would would also affect the current to the battery, as well as current from truck. What did you set your voltage to?

Thanks in advance.

Andersen hitch & 303RLS
            Morryde IS

Comment

Originally posted by John303 View Post

Jim,

A question for you. When I look at the Renogy installation manual it seems they are calling for some good size wires even for the 20 amp model. From the front of my truck to the basement of the 303 must be 25-30ft, so it appears to call for something between 8 and 4 awg wire. My "trailer receptacle" fuse is 30 amp also. I just wanted to confirm that you made no modifications to the truck or trailer wiring, other than redirecting the current charge wire to the Renogy, and from the Renogy to the battery? I also see from the manual that you can modify the charge voltage from 14.0-14.6, which I am guessing would would also affect the current to the battery, as well as current from truck. What did you set your voltage to?

Thanks in advance.

John,

From the trailer wire connections at the frame of the trailer, I ran a dedicated 8 AWG marine grade tinned copper wire to the docking station and to the Renogy. If you want to do a test outside the rig, cut enough wire such as the 8 AWG, that would be able to connect to where your planning to mount the charger. Disconnect the trailer battery feed wire at the trailer frame and connect this to the 8 AWG and then to the Renogy. From the Renogy connect the output to a battery sitting on the ground and outside the rig. Run a jumper to the D+ terminal while monitoring the input current from the truck. Do this with the Lithium battery at 50% SOC or less so the Renogy will operate at its full 20 amp output.

I performed this driveaway test before installing my charger and wiring since the input current will be slightly higher than the output. Once I was convinced the 30 amp fused circuit could handle the load, the charger was installed with loomed 8 AWG wire.

I made no modification to the truck wiring. Also while I tested this with the truck running as well as off, I will use this charger only while running and underway. This way, as the truck is running, higher voltage will be provided which will lower the current demand to the Renogy and the alternator will have airflow while moving. I'm activating the Renogy with the trailer running lights which can be found in the docking station of the Imagine. White wire with blue stripe.

It is so cool to observe the Victron app on my phone while underway and to watch the charger kick in when I turn on the running lights. My Victron BMV712 is mounted in the front panel of the docking station and the reception from inside the truck has been good.

Jim
              Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2020, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Question to all in this thread: Has anybody looked into or tried to use the Tow Vehicle Alternator Charger Kit (Drop-In Lithium) that AMSolar have? I am still getting caught up on this overall challenge but it would seem that this would allow for drop in and negate any risk of power draw or strain on the TV. It won't charge as well as the DC to DC gear but might be a low budget way to ensure a good charge?
                https://amsolar.com/rv-battery-accessories/98-altclitow
                2020 303RLS - RAM 2500 Diesel - Anderson Ultimate Hitch
                Full timing

Comment

Originally posted by FindingMyPlace View Post
                  Question to all in this thread: Has anybody looked into or tried to use the Tow Vehicle Alternator Charger Kit (Drop-In Lithium) that AMSolar have? I am still getting caught up on this overall challenge but it would seem that this would allow for drop in and negate any risk of power draw or strain on the TV. It won't charge as well as the DC to DC gear but might be a low budget way to ensure a good charge?
                  https://amsolar.com/rv-battery-accessories/98-altclitow
                  To directly answer your question: no. From my brief read of AMSolar's description of this setup it is more about isolating the two battery systems than it is charging the lithium. (I could be wrong.)

I tackled this issue by installing a DC-DC Charger. Long thread, but it has a lot of details: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...e-battle-borns

Guest installed a 20A Renogy using the vehicle's 7-pin wiring (much less complicated). His information is also in that same thread but he may be able to provide more information if you're interested.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Battery manufacturers opinions will vary where its not a good idea to mix battery types in parallel IMO. Flooded lead acid batteries and Lithium batteries require different voltages where the Lithium battery will need a 14.3V input at the final stages of charging to properly balance the batteries cells.
                    Lithium batteries with their low internal resistance will accept high charge currents where this can put a much higher load on the vehicles alternator. This would not ordinarily be an issue except a high load at idle and just after cranking the TV can create a great deal of heat on the alternators diodes at idle.

To get around both cases, its best to use a DC DC charger such as the Renogy or other brand which will provide separation. This way, the TV lead acid battery is being handled through the ECU and TV alternator which will control the voltage levels for flooded lead acid batteries while the Renogy will simultaneously control the voltage levels that would be dedicated for lithium charging.
                    For system overheating, the engines control system will monitor alternator loads and will work to recover the lost energy from engine cranking and to also run accessories. The system can respond in several ways to protect the system but applying a large load such as charging a lithium battery bank and after an initial crank event can put undo stress on the alternator since airflow in minimized at idle. To handle this case, it would be best to activate the Renogys' D+ or ignition circuit by connecting to the RV running lights. This way the driver can activate the Renogy when the vehicle is in motion which will provide adequate cooling that would be provided at higher RPM and vehicle speed.

Jim
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-10-2020, 08:32 PM.

Comment

I have a Solitude 310GK-R with the solar option on order and am ordering two battleborn batteries to start. In emailing with battleborn, I asked for converter recommendation and they asked for the existing WFCO model number. Does anyone know or where I can find out?

Thanks, Jon
                      Jon
                      2021 Solitude 310GK-R
                      2018 Silverado 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Bupboy View Post
                        I have a Solitude 310GK-R with the solar option on order and am ordering two battleborn batteries to start. In emailing with battleborn, I asked for converter recommendation and they asked for the existing WFCO model number. Does anyone know or where I can find out?

Thanks, Jon
                        Unless Grand Design has changed models, it's most likely a WF-9855. Many people who replace their two lead acid batteries with LiFePO4 batteries replace their WFCO charger/converter with the Progressive Dynamics PD-9160ALV. People who move to large battery banks will often get larger Victron units.
                        Brian & Kellie
                        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Thanks Brian
                          Jon
                          2021 Solitude 310GK-R
                          2018 Silverado 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

John,

From the trailer wire connections at the frame of the trailer, I ran a dedicated 8 AWG marine grade tinned copper wire to the docking station and to the Renogy. If you want to do a test outside the rig, cut enough wire such as the 8 AWG, that would be able to connect to where your planning to mount the charger. Disconnect the trailer battery feed wire at the trailer frame and connect this to the 8 AWG and then to the Renogy. From the Renogy connect the output to a battery sitting on the ground and outside the rig. Run a jumper to the D+ terminal while monitoring the input current from the truck. Do this with the Lithium battery at 50% SOC or less so the Renogy will operate at its full 20 amp output.

I performed this driveaway test before installing my charger and wiring since the input current will be slightly higher than the output. Once I was convinced the 30 amp fused circuit could handle the load, the charger was installed with loomed 8 AWG wire.

I made no modification to the truck wiring. Also while I tested this with the truck running as well as off, I will use this charger only while running and underway. This way, as the truck is running, higher voltage will be provided which will lower the current demand to the Renogy and the alternator will have airflow while moving. I'm activating the Renogy with the trailer running lights which can be found in the docking station of the Imagine. White wire with blue stripe.

It is so cool to observe the Victron app on my phone while underway and to watch the charger kick in when I turn on the running lights. My Victron BMV712 is mounted in the front panel of the docking station and the reception from inside the truck has been good.

Jim
                            Well, it has been an interesting day. I decided to install the Victron Smart Isolated Tr 12-12/18 DC-DC charger https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-converters/orion-tr%20smart. My thinking was that if you made a 20 amp charger work then an 18amp charger should be no problem. I made no changes to truck or trailer wiring, thinking that 10 gauge should be more than adequate. Even though truck/trailer do not have isolated grounds, from my research it should work without issue, just no isolation. The Victron model has bluetooth built in and lets you select various voltages to detect whether the truck is running. Right away I ran into issues where if the charger switched on the input voltage would drop to 8.6 volts and then lockout. In all my troubleshooting I discovered some interesting things.
                            1. Voltage of 13.8 at the battery
                            2. Voltage of 12.8 at the 7-pin connector in the truck. I was surprised that I lost a volt from the front of the truck to 7-pin, with the trailer disconnected.
                            3. Where I put my grounds from the Victron seemed to matter. Grounded at the thermal fuse on the basement wall my voltage was 10. Put the grounds on the battery terminal, and it was 12.8.
                            4. I could fiddle with the settings and force the charger to charge, giving me 21 amps from the truck, but 8.6 volts at the input. The Victron app lets you see voltages.
                            So Jim, when you were checking amps, did you by any chance happen to check voltage at the input to your Renogy? I think I can wire the Victron to turn on from the running lights, but I bought it thinking I would not have to do that. I have put about 6 hours into this trying to figure it out, and I am thinking that the 10awg just has to much voltage drop to use the "smarts" in the way it was intended.

If anybody has any insights, I would like to hear them.

Thanks.
                            Andersen hitch & 303RLS
                            Morryde IS

Comment

Originally posted by John303 View Post

Well, it has been an interesting day. I decided to install the Victron Smart Isolated Tr 12-12/18 DC-DC charger https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-converters/orion-tr%20smart. My thinking was that if you made a 20 amp charger work then an 18amp charger should be no problem. I made no changes to truck or trailer wiring, thinking that 10 gauge should be more than adequate. Even though truck/trailer do not have isolated grounds, from my research it should work without issue, just no isolation. The Victron model has bluetooth built in and lets you select various voltages to detect whether the truck is running. Right away I ran into issues where if the charger switched on the input voltage would drop to 8.6 volts and then lockout. In all my troubleshooting I discovered some interesting things.
                              1. Voltage of 13.8 at the battery
                              2. Voltage of 12.8 at the 7-pin connector in the truck. I was surprised that I lost a volt from the front of the truck to 7-pin, with the trailer disconnected.
                              3. Where I put my grounds from the Victron seemed to matter. Grounded at the thermal fuse on the basement wall my voltage was 10. Put the grounds on the battery terminal, and it was 12.8.
                              4. I could fiddle with the settings and force the charger to charge, giving me 21 amps from the truck, but 8.6 volts at the input. The Victron app lets you see voltages.
                              So Jim, when you were checking amps, did you by any chance happen to check voltage at the input to your Renogy? I think I can wire the Victron to turn on from the running lights, but I bought it thinking I would not have to do that. I have put about 6 hours into this trying to figure it out, and I am thinking that the 10awg just has to much voltage drop to use the "smarts" in the way it was intended.

If anybody has any insights, I would like to hear them.

Thanks.
                              Truck wiring differences?
                              My truck only has 14 Awg for +12 running from it's fuse box to 7-pin connector.
                              Gene and Kim
                              2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                              2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

Truck wiring differences?
                                My truck only has 14 Awg for +12 running from it's fuse box to 7-pin connector.
                                My truck has a 30 amp fuse. I think it has 10awg based on comparing to other 10awg wiring, and the fuse size.
                                Andersen hitch & 303RLS
                                Morryde IS

Comment

Working...
                                X