Solar chase from roof to basement not aligned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
    I'm jumping back on this thread with the hopes that somebody from Grand Design will read this and make changes to future units. Hopefully one of the mods can flag this so a GD rep sees it.

Shortly after we got our 2020 Solitude I added a Ford backup camera to the rear of the 5th wheel. I ran the wire from the front compartment to the basement and then from there up the "satellite access channnel" to the roof. When I removed the roof access plate I learned there was no hole cut into the attic. There was a hole in the roof under the plate but that was it. I had to cut the hole through the attic space to get the wire down to the basement. Not only was no hole cut but when I did cut the hole, it didn't line up with the "channel" to the basement. It came out in my medicine cabinet! But it gets much worse...

I'm now in the process of adding a rooftop antenna for my mobile cellular router. I'm thinking about using the existing hole that I used for the rear backup camera mentioned above to run the antenna wire. So as I'm looking up into this hole in the medicine cabinet that goes to the roof more closely I notice some cardboard looking material is all torn up. This cardboard looking stuff looks exactly like the material used for the racetrack A/C tube that runs through the ceiling. To get a better look at the damage done to the A/C racetrack tube, I removed the ceiling A/C vent cover in the bathroom and put my phone up into the vent to take a picture back towards where the hole was drilled from the roof and sure enough, there was a bunch of insulation falling down from the attic space as well as large chunks of the racetrack that were damaged on three sides.

The factory roof access plate was located directly over the A/C racetrack tube!! When I drilled the hole into the attic space to run the camera wire down to the basement, I drilled right through the A/C racetrack tube. You can't cut a clean hole through this material with a hole saw. It basically just tears it up. So now my air conditioner is blowing cold air into the attic through the gaping holes in the racetrack tube and there is no way to fix this short of remove a huge chunk of the roof. Not a happy camper! I've been struggling with trying to keep this RV cool. Now I know one reason why.

This is what Grand Design needs to do:
    1- Line up the roof access plate with the channel in the wall that leads to the basement
    2- Cut a hole from the roof access plate all the way through the roof attic space so wires can actually be fed down to the basement without drilling more holes
    3- DO NOT put the roof access plate directly over the A/C racetrack tube!!!!!!
    4- Add a PVC conduit from the roof access plate down to the hole in the basement ceiling

Grand Design is doing a huge disservice to customers by implying that the roof access plate and basement roof access hole can be used for running wires. As currently designed, they can not in the Solitude 310GK without damage to the A/C ducting as well as the top and back of the medicine cabinet. As poorly as this "roof channel" is designed, I'm just glad I didn't drill through any electrical wiring when I drilled the hole below the access plate.

This is what's left of my A/C ceiling "racetrack" duct. Sorry for the poor picture quality. This was captured from a video with my phone stuck up into a nearby ceiling vent. You can see the insulation falling down from the hole in the top of the duct. For scale, this damaged area is around 4" across.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Duct.jpg
Views:	1760
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	24733
    Thanks so much for your feedback! I know that your unit was offline Feb 2020, so there have been changes to the way that we are now prepping the units for solar prep. We now have a pull string to help pull through coax wires when satellites are installed. I am not sure if this is only true for the Solitude line, or if it's true for all lines. I am working on finding that answer currently. I'll update here when I know more.

Comment

Just an FYI - Solitude and Momentum both are running a line down on their solar prep. Momentum is using a wire and Solitude is using a string.

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post
        Just an FYI - Solitude and Momentum both are running a line down on their solar prep. Momentum is using a wire and Solitude is using a string.
        Thanks for the update Megan. That's a good start.
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Thanks. If the roof panel, chase and bay are aligned and good documention supplied, the type of pull string won’t matter. Thanks for the update.

Comment

My 2020 375RES has same issue. The Sat access hole in the roof appears to be over top the bathroom medicine cabinet as best as i can tell. The pass-through access hole in the pass-through ceiling does not line up vertically (visually) from floor to ceiling when standing outside the trailer looking at the top and bottom. The hole in the floor is several feel forward into the bedroom. I was going to utilize this feature for addtl wiring to the roof. Strange how something this simple in comprehension becomes an epic failure when implementing on the production floor assembly.

Gary
            Attached Files
            Gary F
            2020 Solitude 375RES-R
            2019 Ford Super Duty diesel Dually

Comment

Originally posted by fowlergk View Post
              Strange how something this simple in comprehension becomes an epic failure when implementing on the production floor assembly.
              Very well stated Gary! This is another example of Grand Design doing something without having somebody test their product before production. As I've stated before, all they need to do is give a pre-prodution model to a non-Grand Design person and have them use it for a month. Several of our moderators here would be GREAT at finding all the issues quickly BEFORE the product gets to the customer.
              Brian & Kellie
              2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
              2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
              2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
              2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post

Thanks for the update Megan. That's a good start.
                On my 2021 351 I did find the green pull wire both in the basement and at the roof “plate”. Unfortunately someone in factory stapled wire to frame member making the pull wire totally unusable. Fortunately I was able to use fish tape to pull my 4 gauge solar wires from roof to basement but it took many many attempts before I was successful. Factory should use pvc conduit pipe to provide access. Existing chase is just a void in a wall with undersized holes that do not align. Providing a pull wire that is attached to a framing member makes the chase useless.

Comment

I should of came here before I wasted 4 hours trying to fish wires in this supposed wire chase on my 2020 310GK. As noted the hole in the roof doesn't line up with the "chase" and you can't find it. No pull wire. I complained to customer service and they sent me a drawing for the wall where the chase is, no help I figured out where the wall and chase are located. the problem is the roof access is 4" off and I don't want to cut another big hole in the roof only to find some other problem. I agree don't advertise this as agret time saver when it's not true. How hard is it to align the holes!! I gave up and sealed mine back up.

Comment

Chuck, it is really not a huge deal once you understand the layout and process. I was also annoyed at first but worked through it. I’ve explained my process in this thread. In short, any access box you will put on the roof can cover both holes. Adding a hole in the roof is easier than you think, just go slowly as the ac wiring is in the area. Once the roof is open, enlarge the hole into the chase. Then go in the basement and enlarge the hole in the basement roof. I’d do this with a router and flush cut bit, but many operations are possible. You will then have an amazing opening from roof to basement that solves all issues. The box you put on the roof should cover everything. I used the box by AM solar in Oregon. Let me know if you have questions. In the end I am very pleased with the 4 ten gauge wires from the roof to my two charge controllers. Over 3K of rooftop solar. Don’t give up sir, it works out fine.

Comment

Just a tip for future reference. I see a lot of you trying to use fish tape. The problem is the have a tendency to curve. Use glow rods. You can get a pack of the three and thread them together they're flexible enough to bend if needed, but will stay straight otherwise. Here is an example:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...6415/204178243
                      Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                      2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                      2020 Momentum 351M
                      2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                        GDRV-Megan

Please read the post right before this one. I'm not sure the problem has been resolved on newer builds.

Jim
                        Just to chime in with my two cents. I have a 2022 Solitude 3550BH-R with solar prep. I pulled off the plate yesterday and was super confused as to how things were supposed to work. I measured, and if I had drilled through under it, I'd have been in the shower!

Finally found this thread, which led me to find the (white) pull string in the basement, so I knew that I should have something up there. Lo and behold, I had my wife feel around with tiny hands, and she found where wires were coming out, along with the pull string. We estimated about 5" from where the factory put the roof access plate, and sure enough, after putting a hole there, I can see everything. Prior to her rooting around, I tried my inspection camera, but the insulation made it too hard to see anything.

So, I would second the comment about putting an actual grey PVC conduit, but only if there were two smaller ones. One for power lines, and another one for data/satellite/etc. In my unit, it looks like the factory used the same chase for power lines, and its never ideal to run data in close proximity & parallel for such a length.

Thankfully my starlink cable is at least shielded cat5, so interference should be relatively limited.

More importantly, the hole should really be drilled much closer. No way would I have been able to feed the starlink cable down the hole from where it was w/o damaging the cable. Only now that I can see what's going on do I feel reasonably confident its going to work, and now I have a second unnecessary hole!

I was prepared with my glow rods prior to finding this thread and the comments regarding the existing pull line, so that was awesome.

Comment

Working...
                        X