Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any recommendations on a suitcase style solar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any recommendations on a suitcase style solar?

Preparing to purchase a small, simple to use suitcase style portable solar set up just for keeping the batteries charged when away from accessible AC power. I've done some research but I put much more value in someone's experience who has purchased and used a particular brand and model successfully. All input from someone having this type of experience is appreciated in advance. Happy (and safe) Camping.
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

There are alot of variables in the questions you ask. The main ones to me are how many batteries are you charging, how many days will you be camping without shore power, will you be mainly camping in a sunny area without a lot of trees?

I have a 100 watt Renogy suitcase that I have been using for the last five plus years. It can keep two batteries mostly charged over a week or so if I am not camped in a heavily treed area or its not cloudy. I supplement the solar power with a generator, 40 feet of 10 gauge solar power wires, and a direct connection to my batteries (not using the GD supplied power port). I have had good customer service from Renogy and have benefitted recently from the sales that they have. I will be upgrading my system with at least a 200 watt suitcase system later in the year. Most likely this will be purchased from Renogy, but there are many more options available now than were around five years ago.

I am sure you will get alot more feedback from other members, but if you have more questions please ask.

Norm
    Norm & Karla
    2019 Imagine 2150rb
    2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
    2016 - 2018 Hobie Kayaks

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post
      Preparing to purchase a small, simple to use suitcase style portable solar set up just for keeping the batteries charged when away from accessible AC power. I've done some research but I put much more value in someone's experience who has purchased and used a particular brand and model successfully. All input from someone having this type of experience is appreciated in advance. Happy (and safe) Camping.
      Check out Will Prowse's review of the Renogy Traveler. The panels used are similar to the panels I put on my roof.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have been using "Go Power" 120w suitcase panels to keep 2x 12v wet cells charged while boonie-camping in warmer weather. It will not keep up in colder weather with frequent heater fan use (Honda companion generators, as needed). Also purchased the 30' extension cable to get the unit out to the sunny spots amongst the timber. It stores nicely under the bed. As others have said, several manufacturers to choose from, I purchased mine from etrailer.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1586986715006

Kevin & Merry - Montana
        2018 Reflection 303RLS
        2018 Ram 3500 6.7L SRW 4X4 SB AUH

Comment

much thanks to all three of you.
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
          GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
          SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

I've recently purchased a Renogy 200W suitcase system. It's effective and meets our needs to charging a pair of 100 amp Lithium in parallel.

I've found two things you might want to be aware of .

1) It comes with a soft case, but it bulky and heavy (about 55 lbs). The weight is mainly due to the glass cells. That's about the same as the 2KW duel fuel generator we carry.

2) It comes with a 10 amp inline fuse. In full sunlight, that fuse blew almost right away. I replaced it with a 15 amp which took care of the problem. The wiring will handle it and a call to Renogy support verified this is a known issue. The unit can put out approximately 11.3 amps in full daylight.

3) While the unit comes with battery clamps, if you want to use the Furrion solar plug built in by GD, you will need to get an adapter. These are available on Amazon.

I also purchased a solar cell tool kit on Amazon (amazon.com/gp/product/B07R1X4RJ3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It will allow you make MC-4 connections and replace broken/damaged connectors.
            ​​​​​​
            The GD built in Furrion solar adapter, which is supposed to have a 10 amp fuse inline. In my case, I haven't found the fuse anywhere I can access and I'm still waiting for a response from GD if one is even built in. FYI, the fuse should be on the positive side of the wiring either within 5 feet of the battery OR about 6 inches of the Furrion plug. In my case, there is no fuse but the solar positive is connected to the 12v DC circuit breaker which then runs to the battery. Because I cannot find the fuse or even verify if there is one, I've put a fuse holder about 6 inches behind the Furrion plug. I'm going to test with a 10 amp fuse, which I expect to blow on a sunny day, then replace with a 15 amp. The wiring is less than 10 feet and is 10 or 12 gauge, which should handle 15 amps without getting hot.

I'm also planning on building a box to side the unit when traveling. Since I'll be carrying it in the bed of our pickup, I feel I need to protect the glass panels. The build will be based on the dimensions of the box which the suitcase arrived, with rails to slide it in. I don't want to crack a cell due to bouncing on rough roads.

Last edited by Running from Gnats; 04-17-2020, 09:47 AM. Reason: Correct output of suitcase system
            2020 F-250 Lariat 2WD SuperCrew 6.7L, Blue Ox SwayPro hitch w/ 1000lb bars
            2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
            Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
            FMCA # 489460

Comment

Storing the suitcase panels behind the sofa bed works very well as another option.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                Storing the suitcase panels behind the sofa bed works very well as another option.

Jim
                Not if you have theatre seating. The seats are both plugged in to the outlet behind them. That outlet is difficult to reach.
                2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
                Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
                FMCA # 489460

Comment

Originally posted by Running from Gnats View Post
                  I've recently purchased a Renogy 100W suitcase system. It's effective and meets our needs to charging a pair of 100 amp Lithium in parallel.

I've found two things you might want to be aware of .

1) It comes with a soft case, but it bulky and heavy (about 55 lbs). The weight is mainly due to the glass cells. That's about the same as the 2KW duel fuel generator we carry.

2) It comes with a 10 amp inline fuse. In full sunlight, that fuse blew almost right away. I replaced it with a 15 amp which took care of the problem. The wiring will handle it and a call to Renogy support verified this is a known issue. The unit can put out approximately 11.3 amps in full daylight.

Are you sure that isn't a 200 Watt Renogy Solar Suitcase? V*A = W. A 100 Watt System operating at 12 volts should only be capable of 8.33 Amps if 100% efficient.

Dave and Susan
                  Imagine 2250RK
                  2019 Ford Ranger

Comment

I picked up a Furrion suitcase solar panel which I managed to get a good deal on. It is built almost identical to the Renogy and comes with a very nice padded case to protect it. The Furrion that I have will NOT charge a lithium battery but then again its about 5 years old. So I will be purchasing the Renogy voyager 20amp solar charger to convert it.

I've plugged this into the solar charge port of my Imagine and it works well putting out about 7-8 amps

Jim
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2020, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by S&D's Immy View Post

Are you sure that isn't a 200 Watt Renogy Solar Suitcase? V*A = W. A 100 Watt System operating at 12 volts should only be capable of 8.33 Amps if 100% efficient.
                      You are correct, I put in the wrong watt output and have corrected it in my comments. Thank you for catching my mistake. Since I retired I seem to screw up once in a while.
                      Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
                      FMCA # 489460

Comment

Working...
                      X