Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflection Roof Mounted Solar Prep wiring questions

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2020 Reflection 297RSTS with the Roof Mounted Solar Prep, and am trying to figure out the wiring.

In the large storage compartment under the bed, I found the end of a two-conductor wire labeled "Solar" sticking out of a bundle of wires. Both conductors are red, and appear to be 10-12 gauge. My guess is that this wire goes to the roof-mounted box on the roof.

Next to that wire is another two-conductor wire sticking out, but with no label. This wire has one red and one black conductor, and appear to be 10-12 gauge. I thought this may go to the battery, but checking it with a meter shows no voltage. I looked around for a fuse connection without a fuse, but did not find one.

So, my questions are...

1. Does the red/red wire labeled "Solar" indeed go up to the solar box on the roof?

2. What is the red/black wire sticking out next to the solar wire? Does it go to the battery?

3. Is there a fuse anywhere in either of these wires/circuits? If yes, where would it be located?

Thanks!
    Dave
    Dave
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS

Originally posted by RdTxTd View Post
    Hello,

I recently purchased a 2020 Reflection 297RSTS with the Roof Mounted Solar Prep, and am trying to figure out the wiring.

In the large storage compartment under the bed, I found the end of a two-conductor wire labeled "Solar" sticking out of a bundle of wires. Both conductors are red, and appear to be 10-12 gauge. My guess is that this wire goes to the roof-mounted box on the roof.

Next to that wire is another two-conductor wire sticking out, but with no label. This wire has one red and one black conductor, and appear to be 10-12 gauge. I thought this may go to the battery, but checking it with a meter shows no voltage. I looked around for a fuse connection without a fuse, but did not find one.

So, my questions are...

1. Does the red/red wire labeled "Solar" indeed go up to the solar box on the roof?

2. What is the red/black wire sticking out next to the solar wire? Does it go to the battery?

3. Is there a fuse anywhere in either of these wires/circuits? If yes, where would it be located?

Thanks!
    Dave
    Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum, Dave.

I don't have a definitive answer to your questions--I'll leave that to someone else with first-hand knowledge. If needed we can ask our GD rep tomorrow (Monday).

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you Howard!

I am attaching a picture in case that helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-04-20 18.51.09a.jpg
Views:	2847
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	17113

Dave
      Dave

Comment

Thank you Howard!

Dave
        Second Chance ,
        Rob--your unit came Solar Prepped, right? Does your wiring mirror what RdTxTd is seeing and can you address his questions?

TucsonJim -- any insight into the solar wiring? I'm not sure if you've had any conversation with GD when preparing your Solar 101 presentations.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          Second Chance ,
          Rob--your unit came Solar Prepped, right? Does your wiring mirror what RdTxTd is seeing and can you address his questions?
          I'm pretty sure Rob's 310GK came with the factory 300w solar package - not solar prep.
          Brian & Kellie
          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Second Chance ,

Howard
            Brian is correct - our unit came with the completed solar package (300W panel, roof terminal, wiring from the roof, MPPT controller, etc. None of the wiring looks like that - it's all much heavier gauge. I wish I could be of more help.

Rob
            Rob & Laura
            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
            2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
            2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
            (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

GDRV-Megan -- need your help on this one when you have a moment, Megan. Please see post 1 and 3 for the questions / picture from RdTxTd

Comment

Second Chance ,

TucsonJim -- any insight into the solar wiring? I'm not sure if you've had any conversation with GD when preparing your Solar 101 presentations.

Howard
                One of my goals for the admin/moderator summit that was supposed to be occurring this week was to gain a thorough understanding of the "solar prep", and "solar packages". Unfortunately, the summit was cancelled due to the virus restrictions. So unfortunately, I can't answer all the questions.

But I do have photographs of some of the equipment that I took when I was at a rally in Quartzsite last January. The photos show the equipment in the front storage bay such as the inverter, solar controller, fuse, etc. If anyone needs those photos in the future, just let me know.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

In my case there is a looped strand (not sure what gauge) located in the front storage compartment. I contacted GD support for more information about the box on the roof and was told that it's basically a cover for the hole that runs from the roof to the front storage compartment. Probably not new information to any of you. I plan to simply remove it and replace it with a combiner box from AM Solar.
                  2020 Reflection 31MB
                  2017 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7

2019 Ford F-250 STX Gas(Retired due to inability to slow down on steep downhill grades)

Comment

Originally posted by dgerfan View Post
                    In my case there is a looped strand (not sure what gauge) located in the front storage compartment. I contacted GD support for more information about the box on the roof and was told that it's basically a cover for the hole that runs from the roof to the front storage compartment. Probably not new information to any of you. I plan to simply remove it and replace it with a combiner box from AM Solar.
                    My '19 didn't have that cover, but I also used a AMSolar box. If you haven't seen it, this (long!) design and install thread may interest you: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/1...n-2019-315rlts

Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum!

Howard

Comment

Thank you Howard!

Dave
                      It's hard to tell from the pic but do either of those 2 pairs have a second insulation over the 2 individual wires? I have seen cases where there is a red and black insulated wire with another solid color jacket over both.
                      -
                      Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
                      2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
                      2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
                      Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

KamFlyer I did not find any other insulation for the wires.

But as I took a closer look, I saw that both pairs of wires are red+black. The black portion of the "solar" wire was not visible from the original angle. Here are a couple pictures from a better angle.

Name:	2020-04-25 10.27.53a.jpg
Views:	2470
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	17486Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-04-25 10.28.16a.jpg
Views:	2327
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	17488

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Dave
                        Attached Files
                        Dave

Comment

Hello,

So, my questions are...

Thanks!
                          Dave
                          Good morning! The red and black with the sticker would be the prep wire down from the roof plug to the storage compartment where you would install the solar controller. The second red and black 10g wire is run out to the battery location and would be fused at the mini breakers on the inside of the front A-frame.

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post

Good morning! The red and black with the sticker would be the prep wire down from the roof plug to the storage compartment where you would install the solar controller. The second red and black 10g wire is run out to the battery location and would be fused at the mini breakers on the inside of the front A-frame.
                            Awesome! Thank you GDRV-Megan !

And thanks to everyone else responding!
                            Dave

Comment

We have a 2020 Reflection 337 and just this week I got on the roof and opened the roof plug and inside there are MC4 connectors ready to plug the solar panel in to it. I have the red and black wires in the front storage compartment . hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X