Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Solar Panels - Renogy 100w

Hi all,
    We currently have four 100w Renogy (monocristaline) panels on our 337RLS. We want to add more but are being told they need to be the exact same. I'm guessing amps etc? Renogy makes about 3 different 100w panels. Renogy support has been terrible but my wife did get a half-*ssed message from them saying it didn't matter; any 100w panel would work.

BTW - Jim Hinkle's solar tutorial at the GDRV rallies have been great. I know he added panels recently as well but I couldn't remember what he said about panel compatibility.

Any feedback is appreciated. THANKS!
    Rick & B
    2018 F-350 6.7L SRW FX4
    2019 Reflection 337RLS, 1000w solar, 400ah batteries, Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, GY Endurance tires, Truma water heater

Originally posted by Hawgwild View Post
    Hi all,
    We currently have four 100w Renogy (monocristaline) panels on our 337RLS. We want to add more but are being told they need to be the exact same. I'm guessing amps etc? Renogy makes about 3 different 100w panels. Renogy support has been terrible but my wife did get a half-*ssed message from them saying it didn't matter; any 100w panel would work.

BTW - Jim Hinkle's solar tutorial at the GDRV rallies have been great. I know he added panels recently as well but I couldn't remember what he said about panel compatibility.

You can operate different sizes (wattage) of solar panels together. It may not be as simple as running them altogether as a single system. The attached link gives you examples of the many scenarios you might create depending on output voltage, wattage and other things. This description starts out simple and gets more complex as evolves to more differences, but you can probably gleen what you need from it. Since you already have four panels, wire size may become an issue also.

Norm

Norm & Karla
    2019 Imagine 2150rb
    2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
    2016 - 2018 Hobie Kayaks

Comment

Hi all,

Will Prowse has a specific video on this topic.

In the comment section of that video is another idea from a viewer: Different Panels with different voltage AND amps mean you need separate charge controllers. Think of the additional panels as a completely separate system.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi all,

Another source I've watched is the altE Store channel on YouTube. This particular video may be helpful:

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Thanks Howard and Norm. I will check it out. Cheers!
          Rick & B
          2018 F-350 6.7L SRW FX4
          2019 Reflection 337RLS, 1000w solar, 400ah batteries, Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, GY Endurance tires, Truma water heater

Comment

If you're connecting additional panels, as long as the voltage and current rating are the same (or pretty close), they'll work fine. If the voltage is different, but the current is the same connect them is series. If the current is different but the voltage is the same, connect them in parallel.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks Jim. I ordered another BB battery today and got the info off of one of the panels. Renogy actually got back to me so I will be ordering a few more panels. We should be sitting good with 4 BB batteries and 800 to 1000 watts of solar. This will complete our system.
              Rick & B
              2018 F-350 6.7L SRW FX4

Comment

Thanks Jim. I ordered another BB battery today and got the info off of one of the panels. Renogy actually got back to me so I will be ordering a few more panels. We should be sitting good with 4 BB batteries and 800 to 1000 watts of solar. This will complete our system.
                400 amp hours of batteries is great. And that should be plenty of sun power to keep them charged. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Hi all,
                  I thought I’d send some pics of the finished project. The additional battery has been a game changer. Also installed MicroAir soft start on one A/C unit.

Cheers!
                  Rick & B
                  2018 F-350 6.7L SRW FX4

Comment

Hi all,
                    I thought I’d send some pics of the finished project. The additional battery has been a game changer. Also installed MicroAir soft start on one A/C unit.

Cheers!
                    Very nice install, Rick!

Comment

What a clean install. Sweet job Rick!
                      Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Working...
                      X