Adding Solar to a 23BHE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Solar to a 23BHE

Hi, I have a new 23BHE. It has two Interstate batteries. I'm new to boondocking. If I am just running lights, water pump, fans and radio, how much solar do I need to maintain this? I was thinking about a 100W Renogy Solar Suitcase that plubs into the Furion port on the side. Should I expect that to be able to support a 3-4 day trip?

Originally posted by christnoll View Post
    Hi, I have a new 23BHE. It has two Interstate batteries. I'm new to boondocking. If I am just running lights, water pump, fans and radio, how much solar do I need to maintain this? I was thinking about a 100W Renogy Solar Suitcase that plubs into the Furion port on the side. Should I expect that to be able to support a 3-4 day trip?
    This is a difficult question to answer succinctly. What I recommend is spending the $15 to buy Will Prowse's book, Mobile Solar Power Made Easy!, Everything that's in the book is available on the internet, but having it in one concise place, in book form, is a great way to start your journey from where you are now (I've been there!) to the level desired.

Will also has dozens of videos on his YouTube channel that will be very enlightening and educational. Again, most everything in the book is in the videos, you'll just have to glean the information as you go.

Will also has an website that has pages and pages of helpful information: https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/

Last but by no means least, my fellow moderator TucsonJim has a "Solar 101" presentation. This thread may be helpful: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/2...national-rally

There's a LOT to learn!

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard has provided some great sources of information it you want to plan a future solar system, but as he said it is difficult to give a precise answer to your question. Based on my experience with a similarly sized trailer and having used a Renogy 100w solar panel for about five years, I would think that the portable system you suggest is a good starting point for learning to dry camp for a short period of time with solar. I would also suggest you get a battery monitor that shows voltage and amperage available and used. Renogy has a decent monitor for $100. There are some for cheaper and more expensive that will give similar information. You basically get what you pay for with these devices. Once you get an idea of your exact needs and your trailer's capabilities, you can start the quest for the best system for you.Get started now to have fun.
      Norm & Karla
      2019 Imagine 2150rb
      2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
      2016 - 2018 Hobie Kayaks

Comment

Just running those items will be a very small draw on your batteries. Probably in the range of 30-40 amp hours per day. With two Interstate batteries, you have a usable capacity of about 90 amp hours. Your goal with solar is to replace the amperage consumed with free amperage from the sun. In a good sunny climate with little shade or cloud cover, a 100 watt panel should be able to keep up with this demand. I also recommend a decent battery monitor to make sure you're able to get charged back up during the day. If not getting fully charged, you can adjust your consumption to make sure that you're not going into a deficit and draining the batteries too far.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
        X