No announcement yet.

2021 Imagine XLS 23BHE Solar Prep Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get yourself some circuit breakers at least for the convenience of shutting the system down. As you probably know from Renogy's instructions, you must have battery power to the controller before power from the panels. With circuit breakers if you must disconnect the batteries for any reason, you can just turn off the breaker from the panels then turn off the breaker from the batteries. Always remember, battery power on first then panel power on. Panel power off first then battery power off.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

Originally posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
      Get yourself some circuit breakers at least for the convenience of shutting the system down. As you probably know from Renogy's instructions, you must have battery power to the controller before power from the panels. With circuit breakers if you must disconnect the batteries for any reason, you can just turn off the breaker from the panels then turn off the breaker from the batteries. Always remember, battery power on first then panel power on. Panel power off first then battery power off.
      That's a good point. Do you recommend a specific type of circuit breaker?

Comment

I used this type of circuit breaker in the appropriate sizes Click image for larger version

Name:	circuit breaker.jpg
Views:	2076
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	22750
        2018 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

I used this type of circuit breaker in the appropriate sizes Click image for larger version

I like that! It appears the wires/connections are protected from accidental shorting by the clear covers. Am I seeing it correctly? If so, that's better than the ones I have on my setup.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

You are seeing that correctly.
            2018 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

Just got our 2021 Solitude home last week and installed 2 310W panels on the roof. Was pleased to see the same MC4 box on the roof which made the install super easy. Found the wires in the front storage compartment. The red one had a fuse on the end of it so I hooked it up to the breaker for the controller and hooked up the other one to the "-" terminal.
              I remember reading this thread a couple of weeks ago and thought I should check the polarity as mentioned on here before I closed the breaker. My multimeter read -37 Volts. I had to switch the wiring around. So if you're installing panels make sure to check double check the wiring before hooking everything up.

Comment

Hey everyone,

We just purchased a 2021 Imagine XLS 23BHE and we're excited to get started. Saw this post and thought I'd check in Jim, to see if there have been any updates from Grand Design since your meeting with them? We are very interested in getting solar wired up but the wire that's just thrown in the storage area has no information on how to use it or how it's wired anywhere. Thoughts? Updates?

Thanks!
                Elizabeth

Comment

Originally posted by mccar106 View Post
                  Hey everyone,

We just purchased a 2021 Imagine XLS 23BHE and we're excited to get started. Saw this post and thought I'd check in Jim, to see if there have been any updates from Grand Design since your meeting with them? We are very interested in getting solar wired up but the wire that's just thrown in the storage area has no information on how to use it or how it's wired anywhere. Thoughts? Updates?

Thanks!
                  Elizabeth
                  That wire is key to a successful solar install. I saves you from having to drill through the roof and fishing wires up there. The other end of the wire should be underneath the small plate on the roof. All your panels will connect with this wire via a solar combiner or solar gland. Then, all the components in the basement can be added and connected to the wire on that side. As a minimum, there should be a fuse and solar controller added to that wire. Then a new wire run from the controller to the batteries and include a fuse there too.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

That's really helpful, Jim. Thanks for getting us pointed in the right direction!
                    Elizabeth

Comment

Originally posted by mccar106 View Post
                      Hey everyone,

Thanks!
                      Elizabeth
                      If your unit has Solar Prep you will have two wires from the roof to the pass thru , one positive one negative. If your unit does not have Solar Prep you will only have a single wire or string coming down a channel from the roof to the pass thru. If you just have this single wire it is used to pull a suitable wire for your configuration , this wire is NOT to be used for Solar connection as it is a light gauge wire.

Also if you have the 2 wires make sure they are of suitable size for your system.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by RKlass View Post
                        Just got our 2021 Solitude home last week and installed 2 310W panels on the roof. Was pleased to see the same MC4 box on the roof which made the install super easy. Found the wires in the front storage compartment. The red one had a fuse on the end of it so I hooked it up to the breaker for the controller and hooked up the other one to the "-" terminal.
                        I remember reading this thread a couple of weeks ago and thought I should check the polarity as mentioned on here before I closed the breaker. My multimeter read -37 Volts. I had to switch the wiring around. So if you're installing panels make sure to check double check the wiring before hooking everything up.
                        What make and model # of the solar panels did you get ? Did you get any specific solar controller and did you upgrade your power converter?

Comment

Can you share the make of the fues you used?

Comment

Can anyone comment on how you sealed up the jaboni port in the roof after connecting the wires? I don't see any gland like cover to protect from water. Do you just leave the cover off and the mc4 connectors exposed?

Comment

Those solar ports are waterproof and the box is sealed. Once you take off the access door, you just plug in and you're good to go!
                              2018 GMC HD Denali Duramax
                              2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                              Reese Dual-Cam straight-line hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

If your unit has Solar Prep you will have two wires from the roof to the pass thru , one positive one negative. If your unit does not have Solar Prep you will only have a single wire or string coming down a channel from the roof to the pass thru. If you just have this single wire it is used to pull a suitable wire for your configuration , this wire is NOT to be used for Solar connection as it is a light gauge wire.

Also if you have the 2 wires make sure they are of suitable size for your system.

Brian
                                I have a 2021 2400. Do you know if they run it down the bedroom wall or through the front cap? If the wires run through the bedroom divider wall, I’d like to put the controller there where it’s easy to see.

Comment

Working...
                                X