2021 Imagine XLS 23BHE Solar Prep Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jhills104 View Post

I have a 2021 2400. Do you know if they run it down the bedroom wall or through the front cap? If the wires run through the bedroom divider wall, I’d like to put the controller there where it’s easy to see.
    I do not have access to any pictures of the roof for this model. I would guess that if the roof mounted Solar port is located close to the front cap then it more than likely is that the wires are run down behind the cap, if it is located further back on the roof near the wall between the kitchen and the bedroom then it may run down thru that wall. Just guessing on my part. Maybe another 2400 BH owner will have better input.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

So many things to talk about here. I have 2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE. The solar pre-wiring is 10 gauge. This is important. As with any electrical project, you have to be absolutely certain that your wire can handle the juice you're sending through it. 12V solar panels are not actually sending out 12 volts. Solar panels come in all different configurations, but a common panel to use as an example could be a 12V 100 watt panel from Renogy or HQST. This panel is running more like 18 Volts at optimum current with an open voltage of 21.6 Volts. The Amps at optimum current are around 5.5 Amps and the short circuit Current is more like 6.5 Amps. 18 Volts multiplied by 5.5 Amps is where you arrive at the 100 Watt number of the panel. Using this panel as an example, our 10 gauge wire can easily handle this panel. What if you want to wire up multiple panels? This is where series vs. parallel connections come into play. When you wire your panels in parallel, the Amps get multiplied as you add panels but the Voltage stays the same at 18 Volts. If you were to wire these panels in parallel, our 10 gauge wire (I am assuming a 14 foot run to get from the port on the roof to the solar charge controller) could only handle 4 of these panels. However- if you wire your panels in series, the voltage gets multiplied, but the amps stay the same. Wires can handle much higher voltage loads than they can amperage loads. Wired in series, our 10 gauge wire can handle more than 20 of these panels. The solar controller would not be able to handle that high of a voltage load, however. You have to make sure that your solar charge controller can handle the loads that you plan to send into it and also that it can provide the desired charging current to your batteries. There are many different sizes and configurations of charge controllers. The solar charge controller takes the high voltage low amp load and converts it to the precise power output you desire for your batteries (maybe 14.4 Volts). Your solar charge controller may or may not have its own protection fuse built into the unit. If it does not, then you need to add a fuse between the panel and the controller. You always need to add a fuse between the controller and your batteries. You also have to make sure that your fuse is sized correctly for your load. I am going to stop here and qualify that I am not an electrician and I am only sharing information that I have gathered from hundreds of hours of amateur research. I was reading this thread and I do worry that perhaps some folks might be planning to do their own solar install without a full understanding of the electrical principles involved. Everyone knows what can happen if something isn't right with the electrical system in your RV. There are so many videos and books out there- please take a while to research.

Comment

AlpineGuy
        Welcome to the family and the forum!
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

ThePowells Thanks. I'm really enjoying my Imagine trailer so far, and this forum seems pretty active. I'm sure that this forum will be very helpful.

Comment

Our 2021 22MLE is our first RV which we picked up in April. Our full time RV experience will begin in Feb 2022. I am looking forward to boondocking, so I know I want solar for the rig. After a fair amount of research (and before I found this forum) I purchased a Renogy 200 Watt Premium Solar kit. I'd sure like to get opinions on my purchase. l plan on installing the kit myself before we venture out. One of our first stops will be the Quartzsite Rally. See you there, Jim!
            Imagine XLS 22MLE
            2017 F250 4X4 6.2L, 4:30 axle

Comment

Originally posted by arnwrkr View Post
              Our 2021 22MLE is our first RV which we picked up in April. Our full time RV experience will begin in Feb 2022. I am looking forward to boondocking, so I know I want solar for the rig. After a fair amount of research (and before I found this forum) I purchased a Renogy 200 Watt Premium Solar kit. I'd sure like to get opinions on my purchase. l plan on installing the kit myself before we venture out. One of our first stops will be the Quartzsite Rally. See you there, Jim!
              Welcome to the forum. Check out the Welcome Letter here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

One thing you'll learn if you dive deep into the Welcome Letter is how to tag and quote. I'm going to "tag" Jim so he sees your post about the rally (and the solar--I'm sure he'll help!) TucsonJim
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
              X