Imagine XLS 19RLE Solar GFI issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine XLS 19RLE Solar GFI issue

I have a GD XLS Imagine 19RLE. I have installed 400 watts of solar to charge my batteries and have installed a 1000watt inverter. The AC output works fine when plugged into inverter.. No problem to this point.

I want to plug my RV into my inverter. I have turned off all breakers except for Main breaker and Receptacles breaker. (Converter is on breaker with AC hot water heater.)

When I plug RV into my inverter via shore power cable, my GFI breakers go crazy and trip out. All of my receptacles are on one breaker and stringed with the GFI's so they all go. HELP!

POPPAJON.
    Last edited by Country Campers; 07-05-2020, 03:51 PM. Reason: Made title appropriate

Originally posted by POPPAJON View Post
    I have a GD XLS Imagine 19RLE. I have installed 400 watts of solar to charge my batteries and have installed a 1000watt inverter. The AC output works fine when plugged into inverter.. No problem to this point.

I want to plug my RV into my inverter. I have turned off all breakers except for Main breaker and Receptacles breaker. (Converter is on breaker with AC hot water heater.)

When I plug RV into my inverter via shore power cable, my GFI breakers go crazy and trip out. All of my receptacles are on one breaker and stringed with the GFI's so they all go. HELP!

POPPAJON.
    Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum.

I'm not an electrician, but I've read this complaint before, so I *think* I know what is going on. Your 1000W inverter's output is likely protected by a GFCI circuit (as it must be if it is "portable"). When a GFCI circuit is plugged into another GFCI circuit they don't always play nice with each other. I'm not technically knowledgeable enough to explain exactly why, but if you google the topic you'll find dozens of links to discussions on the topic. Here's one: https://www.altestore.com/forums/Ren...ic,1591.0.html

This forum is fortunate to have multiple individuals with a lot of experience, so hopefully they'll add to this thread with more detail.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by POPPAJON View Post

POPPAJON.
      I agree with Howard’s diagnosis. You can’t have multiple GFCI downstream of each other or its a recipe for problems. Those reptiles need to be GFCI due to their location either near water or outside, so your best bet would be a inverter’s that isn’t GFCI. This may mean a hard wired inverter rather than a portable one, that I’m not sure of. It may also by possible to disable your inverter’s GFCI somehow, you’d have to contact the manufacturer to see.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
      X