2021 Imagine XLS 23BHE Off Grid Electrical Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparkey1 View Post
    sanjoserob. Looks like you’re on your way to your energy independence with this setup. Was looking on the community.victronenergy.com group and saw someone having the same problem starting a Multiplus 12/3000 using two Battleborn 100ah batts. That users wiring was good too 2/0 or 4/0 iirc. The several posts over a few weeks seemed to point to the capacitors in the multi needing to charge up to prepare the inverter for use. The multi sucked so much power the first few seconds charging the caps that the BMS in the Battleborn batteries thought there was a short so it shut down the battery. The user repeated this several times. It never happened when he started the multi from the grid. He was able to start the multi from the batts once he reduced the size of the wire from batt to inverter down to 4awg which slowed the power surge enough to fill the caps without tripping the BMS in the batts.
    This was only a temporary solution. I believe the 4/0 wire is correct but that more amp hours needs to be available to provide the needed current inrush at startup. The Victron manuals call for 400ah+ to fully utilize the 12/3000. I hope this helps you sort out the issue with your batteries quitting on you.
    That certainly sounds familiar, I just hope it doesn’t affect Lion’s warranty determination. Thanks for the info!
    2021 Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2019 Ford Expedition w/HD Tow

Comment

Working...
    X