2021 Imagine XLS 23BHE Off Grid Electrical Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Imagine XLS 23BHE Off Grid Electrical Project

[ I have a 2021 23BHE on order (should be ready end of July) and would like to have a nice off grid system. My wife works in tech, so we can work from anywhere in the country as long as she can use Zoom, so I want an uninterrupted power source that will allow her to have meetings from a truck stop if needed. I purchased 5 LionEnergy UT1300 batteries and have been working backwards from there.

I have been going from noob to novice by reading these posts so thank you so much for all the info!! It's great to see such a helpful community!

I landed on everything you found except for the surge protector and I also am upgrading the Mppt to the 150/60 since I plan to have 4 200w panels. Is the inline surge protector necessary if I'm using a plug in type at the shore power terminal?

I also can't seem to find a video or pictures that show how run/connect the wiring from the shore power plug to the inverter and then to the CB. Am I looking at removing the insulation and running wires through the trailer or can I use existing wiring somehow? I'm starting to grasp the 12v side of things since it seems to be mostly located near the front of the trailer but it's still a little overwhelming..

I inititally just bought the batteries because they were on sale at Costco...I had Nooooo idea what was involved! Thanks again for all the help.

Here's what I've bought:
    The equipment listed were his choices and I was just pointing out my differences. Here is my planned components list:

1. (5) Lion Energy batteries UT1300
    2. (1) Multiplus 12/3000/120-50 VE Bus
    3. (1) Cerbo GX*,
    4. (1) GX Touch 50*,
    4. (1) Smartshunt*,
    5. (1) SmartSolar MPPT 150/60
    6. (1) Microair Easy Start 364
    7. (2) Rich Solar 200w 24v Possible expansion to 4 run in parallel if I can still get on the roof!

Am I correct that the 24v panels will be a better option since the solar prewire is 10awg from what I've read? https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/56663
    • Maximum Power(Pmax): 200W
    • Maximum Power Voltage(Vmp): 37.6V
    • Maximum Power Current(Imp): 5.32A
    • Open Circuit Voltage(Voc): 45.4V
    • Short Circuit Current(Isc): 5.83A
    • Maximum System Voltage(Vmax): 1000V DC

Last edited by howson; 07-20-2020, 07:40 PM. Reason: Edited title so it is more descriptive of the thread content. -howard
    2021 Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2019 Ford Expedition w/HD Tow

sanjoserob

I took the liberty of moving your post out on its own in the Solar section. This will help keep this separate and keep the topic on what you are looking for.
    Welcome to the Forum and the Solar folks will be along shortly to help you out, I am still learning Solar as well.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by sanjoserob View Post

Hi, Thanks for this thread!!!!! I have a 2021 23BHE on order (should be ready end of July) and would like to have a nice off grid system. My wife works in tech, so we can work from anywhere in the country as long as she can use Zoom, so I want an uninterrupted power source that will allow her to have meetings from a truck stop if needed. I purchased 5 LionEnergy UT1300 batteries and have been working backwards from there.

I have been going from noob to novice by reading these posts so thank you so much for all the info!! It's great to see such a helpful community!

I landed on everything you found except for the surge protector and I also am upgrading the Mppt to the 150/60 since I plan to have 4 200w panels. Is the inline surge protector necessary if I'm using a plug in type at the shore power terminal?

I also can't seem to find a video or pictures that show how run/connect the wiring from the shore power plug to the inverter and then to the CB. Am I looking at removing the insulation and running wires through the trailer or can I use existing wiring somehow? I'm starting to grasp the 12v side of things since it seems to be mostly located near the front of the trailer but it's still a little overwhelming..

I inititally just bought the batteries because they were on sale at Costco...I had Nooooo idea what was involved! Thanks again for all the help.

Well, you're certainly starting off with a nice battery bank. Please note that your parts list shows 3 Battle Born batteries, and your text shows 5 Lion Energy batts.

I see you're upgrading the MPPT controller. How are you going to wire the four panels? What combination of parallel/series wiring will you be going with. Can you provide the specific data on the panels? If you can get it, what are the Open Circuit Voltage, Optimum operating vlotage, Optimum opererating current, and short-cricuit current ratings? If you don't mind, once you spell that out, I'll double check for you to make sure you're getting the correct controller.

One of the biggest challenges is getting power from the inverter to the desired outlets. Do you have a plan for this yet? Do you need all the outlets powered in the RV, or just a subset of them?

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

TucsonJim Thanks for the reply! I had originally posted this in this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ns?view=thread

The equipment listed were his choices and I was just pointing out my differences. Here is my planned components list:

1. (5) Lion Energy batteries UT1300
        2. (1) Multiplus 12/3000/120-50 VE Bus
        3. (1) Cerbo GX*,
        4. (1) GX Touch 50*,
        4. (1) Smartshunt*,
        5. (1) SmartSolar MPPT 150/60
        6. (1) Microair Easy Start 364
        7. (2) Rich Solar 200w 24v Possible expansion to 4 run in parallel if I can still get on the roof!

Am I correct that the 24v panels will be a better option since the solar prewire is 10awg from what I've read? https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/56663
        • Maximum Power(Pmax): 200W
        • Maximum Power Voltage(Vmp): 37.6V
        • Maximum Power Current(Imp): 5.32A
        • Open Circuit Voltage(Voc): 45.4V
        • Short Circuit Current(Isc): 5.83A
        • Maximum System Voltage(Vmax): 1000V DC
        Last edited by sanjoserob; 07-07-2020, 12:24 AM.
        2021 Imagine XLS 23BHE

Comment

TucsonJim here is the CB https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/42835 I guess I had assumed the Multiplus tied into the entire system through the Control board? I would like to wire the entire system to the Victron and supplement with our 2000w generator to run the Air Conditioner on hot days.

Last edited by sanjoserob; 07-07-2020, 09:41 AM.
          2021 Imagine XLS 23BHE

Comment

Country Campers Thanks for moving this. I don't use forums often but i've heard of hijacking a thread. Thanks for helping. If if matters, I'll be getting an Imagine XLS 23BHE, I can't seem to change the post title.
            2021 Imagine XLS 23BHE

Comment

I am doing a very similar project on my 2021 23BHE. Where are you going to place your batteries? Your MultiPlus and monitor?
              Famtraveler24
              2021 Imagine 2800BH
              2019 Ford Expedition Platinum

Comment

I checked out your panels and used the Victron MPPT size calculator and the 150/60 is the correct size controller for your four panels in parallel.

I also checed to make sure that 10 AWG wires are sufficient for the current load the panels will put out. Each panel has a operating current of 5.32 amps. Combine the four of them, and you have 21.28 amps. Typically, the connection is made at the roof. So from the roof to the controller, you'll have 21.28 amps running through the wires. You can run up to 30 amps for 10 feet with 10AWG wire with less than a 3% voltage drop. So you are in good shape there too.

I need to get up to speed on the Multiplus. So I can't answer your questions there (yet).

It looks like you've done your homework and are in great shape.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Thanks TucsonJim!!!! I've read through your installs and powerpoints, so it's great to have you confirm what I've found. I'm going to order the Victron items and the at www.InvertersRus.com out of Reno. They had the best prices on everything I could find AND had it all in stock.
                  2021 Imagine XLS 23BHE

Comment

Famtraveler24 I was literally just going to post this. I am hoping to mount the batteries on the tongue in something like this to maximize the pass through storage, but I'm not sure about it fitting? It's 33.25 x 13.75 x 12.75. I could fit all 5 sideways but my concern is security and being able to open the lid. Any other issues I should be worried about?
                    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...KIKX0DER&psc=1
                    2021 Imagine XLS 23BHE

Comment

Not sure. I'm fairly new to this as well. I was thinking of mounting my batteries and shunt under the bed with the MultiPlus, battery monitor, etc. directly on the other side of that wall in the pass through, but I'm not exactly sure what is behind the bed wall.
                      Famtraveler24
                      2021 Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Originally posted by Famtraveler24 View Post
                        Not sure. I'm fairly new to this as well. I was thinking of mounting my batteries and shunt under the bed with the MultiPlus, battery monitor, etc. directly on the other side of that wall in the pass through, but I'm not exactly sure what is behind the bed wall.
                        I've seen a few installs like that. It seems to be uninsulated 1x1 "wall" studs with paneling. It would be a secure place to store them but you would need to be careful when drilling your hole through because there are some wires and support studs.
                        Last edited by Country Campers; 07-08-2020, 05:37 AM. Reason: No links to other forum allowed. Moderator
                        2021 Imagine XLS 23BHE

Comment

Thanks. Keep us posted on your install.
                          Famtraveler24
                          2021 Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Originally posted by sanjoserob View Post
                            Famtraveler24 I was literally just going to post this. I am hoping to mount the batteries on the tongue in something like this to maximize the pass through storage, but I'm not sure about it fitting? It's 33.25 x 13.75 x 12.75. I could fit all 5 sideways but my concern is security and being able to open the lid. Any other issues I should be worried about?
                            https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...KIKX0DER&psc=1
                            I thought about installing a box like that on my Reflection TT, but the front cap on mine juts forward just enough to prevent it. Hopefully, you won't have the same issue on yours. One other issue to consider is that a black box may get very hot in direct sunlight. If the battery management system is designed to shut down the batteries at high temperatures, it may be an issue.

Jim
                            Jim and Ginnie
                            2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Would it be possible to install the box so the lid opens against the propane tanks?

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X