No announcement yet.

Furrion connector on the 2017 Imagine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion connector on the 2017 Imagine?

I don't even have the camper yet (Still being prepped at the dealer) but diving in on the things I want to do. I have a Renogy 100w suitcase panel, and a Rover 20A MPPT controller (From my PopUp).

So what's the deal with 2017 Imagine's? From the (limited) threads, I can seem to figure out where the Furrion adaptor (which is limited to 10amps) goes. It needs a charge controller. Does it just dead end on the tongue somewhere?

Anyone got a nice wiring diagram of a spot to add a charge controller? (I'm thinking the back of the Universal Docking station, trying to keep close to the battery).

Anyone got a source where to find an adaptor to plug into this port?
    Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Originally posted by mpking View Post
    I don't even have the camper yet (Still being prepped at the dealer) but diving in on the things I want to do. I have a Renogy 100w suitcase panel, and a Rover 20A MPPT controller (From my PopUp).

So what's the deal with 2017 Imagine's? From the (limited) threads, I can seem to figure out where the Furrion adaptor (which is limited to 10amps) goes. It needs a charge controller. Does it just dead end on the tongue somewhere?

Anyone got a nice wiring diagram of a spot to add a charge controller? (I'm thinking the back of the Universal Docking station, trying to keep close to the battery).

I think the Furrion port is on the front of the body of the trailer, at least that’s where it’s at on my fifth wheel. There are adapters on Amazon to allow you to go from the Furrion connector to other types of panels. As for the controller, normally in suitcase setups it’s included and is on the back of the panel. The wire from the port goes through a fuse and directly to the battery. If your panel does not have a controller you’ll need to break into that line and insert the controller you buy, probably in the pass through storage somewhere.

I’m sure TucsonJim will be along. He’s our resident solar expert.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

The wire from the port goes through a fuse and directly to the battery. If your panel does not have a controller you’ll need to break into that line and insert the controller you buy, probably in the pass through storage somewhere.
      At least it has a fuse. :-)

My controller isn't mounted on the suitcase panel. I parted together the Solar setup for my Popup.
      Panel ->20 feet of 10 AWG MC4 connectorized wire -> Renogy Rover 20amp -> 2 feet of 10AWG wire to battery quick disconnect. (there are fuses in there too)
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post

This thread may be of interest: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/15242-fuse-location

Running from Gnats or Oregon Fun-Guy --can you assist mpking?
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Wow....

The fuse comment was a throwaway about how people first getting involved with solar always seem to forget fuses. (I did on my first setup, I fixed it).

Never realized I was wading hip deep into a wiring issue. (In the automotive industry, cars going out the door without a fuse installed would necessitate a recall. )
          Mike

Comment

I started the fuse thread mentioned above, spoke with GD, and even removed a portion of the basement wall, looking for the fuse. According to Furion, there's supposed to be a 10 amp fuse within 12 inches of the plug. I never found it.

I believe we have the same Renogy suitcase solar system. I've installed a 15 amp ATC Fuse Blade Style (auto/truck type) holder and fuse online where Furion said it should be. The trailer is in for some minor warranty work and it's had been raining almost daily prior to take it in, so I haven't tried out hooking to the trailer plug. When I did get a chance to try out the solar panels, I used the battery clamps and went directly to the batteries.

Something to be aware of is the solar blew the 10 amp fuse quickly. I installed the 15 amp fuse and it works fine. I've spoken with Renogy and the rep I spoke to said it was a problem they were aware of and a 15 amp fuse would work without overheating the wiring. I'm running 2 Lion Energy UT-1300 batteries (will be adding a third).

I'll also post some photos of changes I've made to the wiring to the solar cell output. I've set up the jumpers to connect to the solar output with MC-4 and found this wire unit to let me plug into the trailer, (GrayBull 10AWG SAE Adatpter Cable to 2 Pin Power Industrial Circular Connector for Solar Panel Suitcase, Fit Furrion, Forrest River RV Solar Ports, Grand Design RV's Industry), then set it up MC-4 connectors. Easy to interchange connectors. Hopefully get the photos up today or tomorrow.

Hope this isn't too confusing.
            2020 F-250 Lariat 2WD SuperCrew 6.7L, Blue Ox SwayPro hitch w/ 1000lb bars
            2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
            Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
            FMCA # 489460

Comment

I have the 100w suitcase, so it's only 8.3 amps (@12). I put my own system together. (I bought an upgraded Charge Controller, that is not mounted on the panel, but on my previous RV, was mounted next to the battery. ) so it's not the wanderer charge controller you are probably expecting.

I don't have the direct clamps anymore. (Misplaced, just looked for them, not where I thought they were).

I found this on amazon (attached). I checked my panels, and this pinout (Red being male on the adaptor) is the correct polarity.

For me to do this right, I'll have to get the adaptor. That will allow me to connect the Panels to the Furrion port. I'll have to reroute the wires from the Furrion port, and move it to my charge controller. (and double check the gauge wiring used. 10AWG is what's recommended for this voltage / distance, plus check to see if there is a fuse.(10Amp is probably fine here as well). Then run new wires from the charge controller to the battery (also with a fuse).

This is all based on 10amps, which I am below.

If I went beyond the 10amps, i'd probably swap the furrion connector out with something else that is rated for 20 or 30 amps. The tech data sheets on the plug say it's only rated for 10 amps, so I'd be very cautious about exceeding that. If I was to grow the system, I'd have to decide if I'd want to roof mount, or add a second solar suitcase. Don't know (don't have to decide right now) what I'd do. The suitcases can follow the sun / get out from shade. The Roof panels means I won't have to futz with the furrion adaptor.

Mike

Comment

mpking
                Welcome to our owners technical forum . . . I just read your introductory post.
                From this one . . . I can tell that you are going to fit in here just fine .

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

It looks like most of your questions have been answered. To reiterate. If your suitcase panel does not have a charge controller, one will have to be added into the pre-wired circuitry either at the panel or in the RV. If your wiring was installed correctly by GDRV, there will be a 10 amp fuse between the port and the battery. The wiring should be of sufficient size to handle up to a 120 watt panel. On some units, the wiring from the port is not connected to the battery, but coiled up and zip tied under the coach. If you want to use the port, you'll need to make the connection.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                  X