need advice on buying portable solar panels for our 2016 303rls Reflections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice on buying portable solar panels for our 2016 303rls Reflections

Wanting solar panels to keep battery up, run some lights and furnace fan when we're dry camping. What wattage do we need; do we need to hook a second battery in parallel. What would it take to install an inverter outlet?

This is a very difficult set of questions to answer without a lot of study. But I'll give you some general answers.

The lights are all LED in 2015 and newer GDRV units. They consume very little power. If that was all you were planning to run, one battery and one 100 watt panel would probably work fine for you.

The furnace fan draws much more power. your usage will depend on the outside temperature and how warm you plan on keeping the rig. In a cold climate with the thermostat set to 68, you'll consume about 80 to 90 amp hours overnight. This will require a minimum of two batteries to provide enough power.

How many panels would you need for the lights and furnace fan? 300 to 400 watts would probably suffice. But since you'll be running the furnace, I'll assume you'll be in a winter environment with low sun angles and shorter days. This may require even more panel capacity.

An inverter is only needed if you plan on running 120 volt devices such as a television or electric coffee maker.

I'm currently preparing a "solar 101" presentation for the Elkhart rally next month which will cover many of the basic principles of solar charging systems in RVs. As soon as I'm finished with the presentation document, I'll post it here.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by dgoedeke View Post
      Wanting solar panels to keep battery up, run some lights and furnace fan when we're dry camping. What wattage do we need; do we need to hook a second battery in parallel. What would it take to install an inverter outlet?
      I have no connection with AMSolar outside of I've been their customer. Here's a video Garret Towne posted on designing a Solar Power system:

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

We have a 303 and decided to get the dealer to install 2 12 volt batteries wired in parallel. Nothing fancy just wanted to see what I would need to boondock with. I also ordered a portable solar panel with included furrion plug. I also had some 12 volt plugs installed in bedroom to run a 12 volt fan at night.

This has been adequate to stay for a couple of days. Have to monitor your battery levels carefully. In the future will get AGM batteries. If I was going to use solar for more items, would get more battery storage and some solar on roof. But we are full time in the 303 and weight is an issue.so are tank capacities and we have enough for 4 nights before having to move to dump tanks.

For our style of camping we don’t see the need to invest further in solar. So start small and add more when you figure out what your needs are.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07D4...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
        Demco Recon

Comment

We picked up a Renogy 200watt portable from Amazon and have been using it for the past 6 months. It kept or batteries topped off while using 110 volt fans off inverter and lights (LED) all through the evenings. We were Boondocking and using Harvest Host most of the time. I agree with Jim that a 300 or 400 watt would be more efficient, but my budget kept telling me 200 was fine. Well good luck with your search hope this was helpful

Steve
          Steve and Connie Mitchell
          Box Elder, South Dakota
          2017 Ram 3500 Crew Cab SRW Cummins Diesel
          2020 Solitude S Class 2930 RL

Comment

I'm new, just bought a 2019 Imagine 2150RB. It comes with the Furrion port - all fine and good - but how do I know what plugs on the other end of the cord go to the solar panels? One person told me they are universal, but that's not what I'm seeing online researching and shopping. I don't know which cord to buy. Any help, please?

Comment

Originally posted by Nubee View Post
              I'm new, just bought a 2019 Imagine 2150RB. It comes with the Furrion port - all fine and good - but how do I know what plugs on the other end of the cord go to the solar panels? One person told me they are universal, but that's not what I'm seeing online researching and shopping. I don't know which cord to buy. Any help, please?
              TucsonJim has become our resident expert on this subject--I'm sure he'll be along shortly to give you some input.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
              X