Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 22MLE Solar install

Hey Everyone,

New here- Thank you in advance for any feedback or advice.

I recently purchased a 2021 22MLE and I am wanting to complete a solar install.
    I am primarily interested in being able to run the fridge/freezer when on longer road trips, As well power a chest freezer inside the unit while on the road.

I have purchased:
    (2) renogy LifePO4 100Ah batteries
    (3) 195W 12v solar panels- Ecoworthy brand from amazon.
    (1) victron MPPT 100/50 Charge controller
    (1) 2000 W pure sine wave Inverter
    (1) Multimeter Battery monitor

Along with some fuses, extra 10 ag wire, and some MC4 connectors to connect all 3 panels to the one Jaboni roof port.

I understand that the pre-run wire runs from the roof port, to the pass thru, and then to the batteries.
    I see that I would need to splice into this within the pass thru, creating two connections that will be installed into the charge controller...

I am most likely going to place the two new batteries inside the pass thru to prevent any cold/hot temperatures from reaching them..

I am not well versed with any of this- and decided to choose the components based on the Figure below given by Grand design which calls for a 2k inverter..

Preview attachment Figure 2.jpg

Figure 2.jpg
    36 KB

What I am uncertain of is- How would this inverter tie into the electrical circuit within the unit? Is this needed to accomplish what I am trying to do? (run fridge/freezer while not hooked up to elec)

Originally posted by GQuick View Post
    What I am uncertain of is- How would this inverter tie into the electrical circuit within the unit? Is this needed to accomplish what I am trying to do? (run fridge/freezer while not hooked up to elec)
    Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum.

What may not be obvious is that solar and the inverter are two independent systems. One is not dependent on the other.

As you're just starting this journey, my advice is to read, read, read. (And watch Will Prowse's videos on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoj...q8kmJme-5dnN0Q)

Search the "Solar" channel on this forum and you'll find many threads of individuals who've installed their own systems. They've asked the questions you're going to ask and there's answers there, though maybe not specific to a 22MLE.

Here's mine as an example: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/1...n-2019-315rlts

For what to read, a good place to start is Will Prowse's book: https://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Solar-.../dp/B0716WGW59

Click image for larger version  Name:	solar book.JPG Views:	0 Size:	30.5 KB ID:	26456

Our resident expert, TucsonJim, has a "Solar 101" presentation you may be interested in reading, too: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/2...national-rally

Good luck with this journey and I hope you'll continue to document your "lessons learned".

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Welcome GQuick! Glad you joined us.

It looks like you have a good idea of what you want to accomplish. I'm using a 2000 watt inverter myself and it works great for similar loads that you have. Please hit us up if you have any specific questions and we'll do our best to help you be successful.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I am so happy I found this.I am currently attempting the exact same step-up in my 2021 MLE. The only difference is the inverter is a 3000. How did the final product go?

I am worried about the existing battery. What did you do to disconnect and move the wires?
        How was attaching the inverter to the breaker box? I am worried about taking down the underbelly and drilling up to the box.

Comment

Originally posted by LeahVet View Post
          I am so happy I found this.I am currently attempting the exact same step-up in my 2021 MLE. The only difference is the inverter is a 3000. How did the final product go?

I am worried about the existing battery. What did you do to disconnect and move the wires?
          How was attaching the inverter to the breaker box? I am worried about taking down the underbelly and drilling up to the box.
          Unfortunately member GQuick hasn't logged in since August, so you probably won't get a response. Without tagging or quoting, it's unlikely they'd see this even if they logged back in.

May I suggest starting your own thread?

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
          X