Replace 10AWG Solar Wiring in 2020 303RLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace 10AWG Solar Wiring in 2020 303RLS

I was just planning my solar install on my 2020 303RLS. Until I saw the Jaboni solar port on the roof, I assumed I was going to have to run power from the roof to the basement and on the 303 this looked fairly daunting. That said, the 10AWG is quite limiting. has anybody tried pulling heavier gauge wires using the Jaboni cables to replace them? Given how little wire management appears to have been done in the basement I am assuming these won't have been zip tied or anchored but would love to know for sure before starting and failing.
    2020 303RLS - RAM 2500 Diesel - Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Full timing

Originally posted by FindingMyPlace View Post
    I was just planning my solar install on my 2020 303RLS. Until I saw the Jaboni solar port on the roof, I assumed I was going to have to run power from the roof to the basement and on the 303 this looked fairly daunting. That said, the 10AWG is quite limiting. has anybody tried pulling heavier gauge wires using the Jaboni cables to replace them? Given how little wire management appears to have been done in the basement I am assuming these won't have been zip tied or anchored but would love to know for sure before starting and failing.
    I've made your question it's own thread.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

How are you going to configure your system? I'm curious why 10 AWG will not be sufficient? According to Marine (U.S. Coast Guard) wire sizing charts, 10 AWG can handle 30 amps at 30 feet with no more than a 10% voltage loss. The right combination of series and parallel runs should be able to provide quite a bit of power with 30 amps.

But to answer your question, I believe you can use the existing wire to pull a new, heavier gauge wire. I'm not sure anybody's tried it yet.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I tried using the 10ga on the roof to pull 6ga however it didn't work because there wasn't a direct path from the roof to the front storage bay (where 6ga terminates). In my rig the cable dropped down into a hole that one of the hall lights is in. From there it ran along the ceiling for about a foot and then went down the hallway wall (near the control panel) and into a maze of wire behind the pass thru storage. From there it ran along the aluminum floor beams and into the front storage bay.

I ultimately had to first pull the 6ga out and then run a fish tape from the control panel opening to the roof. Yours might be wired differently.

2020 Reflection 31MB
        2017 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7

2019 Ford F-250 STX Gas(Retired due to inability to slow down on steep downhill grades)

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          How are you going to configure your system? I'm curious why 10 AWG will not be sufficient? According to Marine (U.S. Coast Guard) wire sizing charts, 10 AWG can handle 30 amps at 30 feet with no more than a 10% voltage loss. The right combination of series and parallel runs should be able to provide quite a bit of power with 30 amps.

But to answer your question, I believe you can use the existing wire to pull a new, heavier gauge wire. I'm not sure anybody's tried it yet.

Jim
          I plan on doing a lot of boon-docking and want to be able to run AC so the long term plan is to have 4 x 325 watt panels (2 series 2 parallel). My understanding based on this thread and some other sites is that this would need 6ga to be comfortable with the load. I am not set on any of the configs to be honest, trying to find a way to work with 10ga and still run at least 1 AC to make the rig livable in UTAH, Arizona, etc in the spring and fall.
          Full timing

Comment

Originally posted by FindingMyPlace View Post

I plan on doing a lot of boon-docking and want to be able to run AC so the long term plan is to have 4 x 325 watt panels (2 series 2 parallel). My understanding based on this thread and some other sites is that this would need 6ga to be comfortable with the load. I am not set on any of the configs to be honest, trying to find a way to work with 10ga and still run at least 1 AC to make the rig livable in UTAH, Arizona, etc in the spring and fall.
            Depending on the panels you use, you should be fine with 10AWG cable. Let's assume you're using 325W Canadian Solar panels, these are 45.5VoC, 9.34A Isc. Double the voltage for serial connection, and double the amperage for parallel, brings you to 91VoC and 18.7A Isc. Now that's the Open circuit voltage and Short Circuit Current ratings. What you would normally see at max power would be around 37V and 8.8A per panel. At 2S2P, you'd be at 75V and 18A, well within the ratings for 10AWG for up to 30' with 10% voltage drop. In fact, according to the marine guide listed above, at 20A on 10AWG, you could go up to 20' with only 3% voltage drop.
            2020 Imagine 2400BH - 340W solar, Victron 100/20 MPPT & BMV-712, 12v/100ah BattleBorn GC2, MORryde CRE3000 & HD shackle w/ wet bolts.
            2017 F150 Lariat, 3.5EB - Andersen WDH, & SumoSprings

formerly: 2016 Starcraft Launch 19BHS, 2004 Fleetwood Mesa

Comment

Originally posted by tonygoncalves View Post

Depending on the panels you use, you should be fine with 10AWG cable. Let's assume you're using 325W Canadian Solar panels, these are 45.5VoC, 9.34A Isc. Double the voltage for serial connection, and double the amperage for parallel, brings you to 91VoC and 18.7A Isc. Now that's the Open circuit voltage and Short Circuit Current ratings. What you would normally see at max power would be around 37V and 8.8A per panel. At 2S2P, you'd be at 75V and 18A, well within the ratings for 10AWG for up to 30' with 10% voltage drop. In fact, according to the marine guide listed above, at 20A on 10AWG, you could go up to 20' with only 3% voltage drop.
              Thanks for the breakdown. This should meet the needs I have and save me some effort.
              Full timing

Comment

Yeah, in summary, it all depends on which panels and solar controller combo you're looking into installing. 3x 100W Renogy panels in parallel will run at 18V and 17A. A single 300W Renogy panel will run at 32V and 9.7A. Same total wattage either way, but the power delivery is very different.
                You also need to look into the actual real-estate of your roof. How much room do you have, and where. The roofs on these newer trailers tend to be curved, and you may not be able to install the bigger panels across the width of the roof, only going front to back, if you understand what I mean?
                2020 Imagine 2400BH - 340W solar, Victron 100/20 MPPT & BMV-712, 12v/100ah BattleBorn GC2, MORryde CRE3000 & HD shackle w/ wet bolts.
                2017 F150 Lariat, 3.5EB - Andersen WDH, & SumoSprings

formerly: 2016 Starcraft Launch 19BHS, 2004 Fleetwood Mesa

Comment

Working...
                X