No announcement yet.

21BHE - What does "Solar Prepped" Mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21BHE - What does "Solar Prepped" Mean?

I am waiting for my new 21bhe which is to be expected in late October. 67x are you happy with yours. I am trying to figure out what solar prepped means and what I can purchase that is just plug and play with the feature. Anybody have any advice it woud be appreciated.

Originally posted by linanne View Post
    I am waiting for my new 21bhe which is to be expected in late October. 67x are you happy with yours. I am trying to figure out what solar prepped means and what I can purchase that is just plug and play with the feature. Anybody have any advice it woud be appreciated.
    lilanne--I moved your post to its own thread. Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum! There are multiple individuals here that are well versed on solar, so I'm sure they will be along shortly to provide some input.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

linanne - Welcome to the forum. I just contacted the factory folks for an update on what "Solar Prepped" means. There have been quite a few configurations based on this term, and I'm trying to get you the most up to date information.

I will let you know that there are no "plug and play" systems available. The primary purpose of "solar prepped" is to install wires or a way to get wires from the roof to the area on the RV where you can build your own system based on your needs. Once I have the feedback from the factory, I can give you more specifics.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

linanne,

I received up-to-date solar prep information about your upcoming 21BHE direct from the factory this morning. As I stated in my previous post, solar prep means that the hard part of running wires from the roof to the battery is already done. All you or your solar installer would need to do is mount and connect the solar panels, install the correct controller and fuse, complete the connections and you're good to go. Here's the basics on how it's set up.

1. roof top mounted MC4 connectors
        2. 10 gauge red and black wire run into pass thru storage just behind the water management station
        3. 10 gauge red and black wire runs from A frame area/battery into pass thru storage behind the water management station.

WARNING: Never connect a solar panel to the batteries without a properly sized controller and fuses.

This diagram should be helpful in understanding the preparation work that's already been accomplished.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Imagine Solar Prep.JPG Views:	0 Size:	79.1 KB ID:	27418Jim
        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

“Solar prep” on my Reflection 303 meant that there was a plug on the outside wall and a set of wires that led to a point near the battery. Since the battery is installed by the dealer, not at the factory, they were not even hooked up. Of course, I would have needed to purchase a portable “suitcase-style” collector, with the proper plug on the end, in order to use it. Too much trouble, as my wife doesn’t care for boondocking.
          Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
          Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
          2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
          Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
          Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Originally posted by Tom in PGH View Post
            “Solar prep” on my Reflection 303 meant that there was a plug on the outside wall and a set of wires that led to a point near the battery. Since the battery is installed by the dealer, not at the factory, they were not even hooked up. Of course, I would have needed to purchase a portable “suitcase-style” collector, with the proper plug on the end, in order to use it. Too much trouble, as my wife doesn’t care for boondocking.
            Yep, those were a nice little feature for those who wanted a small solar charger for their unit. But they haven't installed that socket and wiring for about a year and a half now.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
              linanne - Welcome to the forum. I just contacted the factory folks for an update on what "Solar Prepped" means. There have been quite a few configurations based on this term, and I'm trying to get you the most up to date information.

I will let you know that there are no "plug and play" systems available. The primary purpose of "solar prepped" is to install wires or a way to get wires from the roof to the area on the RV where you can build your own system based on your needs. Once I have the feedback from the factory, I can give you more specifics.

Jim
              Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
              linanne,

I received up-to-date solar prep information about your upcoming 21BHE direct from the factory this morning. As I stated in my previous post, solar prep means that the hard part of running wires from the roof to the battery is already done. All you or your solar installer would need to do is mount and connect the solar panels, install the correct controller and fuse, complete the connections and you're good to go. Here's the basics on how it's set up.

1. roof top mounted MC4 connectors
              2. 10 gauge red and black wire run into pass thru storage just behind the water management station
              3. 10 gauge red and black wire runs from A frame area/battery into pass thru storage behind the water management station.

WARNING: Never connect a solar panel to the batteries without a properly sized controller and fuses.

This diagram should be helpful in understanding the preparation work that's already been accomplished.
              Click image for larger version Name:	Imagine Solar Prep.JPG Views:	0 Size:	79.1 KB ID:	27418Jim
              Thanks so much for that information. I really appreciate you prompt response.

Comment

Hello Linanne- Sorry for my absence- yes, I do love the unit. Boondocked on our first outing, will try full hookup next time out in a couple weeks or so.

I also am looking hard into the solar upgrading process. It was teh one thing I sacrificed on this unit. I'm soaking all the replies in myself!

Comment

first time posting anything ever, so sorry if i break etiquette rules, i promise i will learn as i go. I am getting ready to put in 400w of solar panels on my 2020 imagine 22mls and it is solar ready. I see the red and black wires coming in at my docking station and they go into a holder that is marked solar/inv. I understand that it comes from the roof jacks but it forms a loop and then goes back into the camper behind the station. what i am hoping is that the wire is intended to be cut and go into the solar controller and then the other part to be hooked up to the inverter. does anyone have any experience with this? i sure would like to get settled so i can finish with all the inverter and battery wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogdoc View Post
                    first time posting anything ever, so sorry if i break etiquette rules, i promise i will learn as i go. I am getting ready to put in 400w of solar panels on my 2020 imagine 22mls and it is solar ready. I see the red and black wires coming in at my docking station and they go into a holder that is marked solar/inv. I understand that it comes from the roof jacks but it forms a loop and then goes back into the camper behind the station. what i am hoping is that the wire is intended to be cut and go into the solar controller and then the other part to be hooked up to the inverter. does anyone have any experience with this? i sure would like to get settled so i can finish with all the inverter and battery wiring.
                    If you could post a picture of the wire that would help us make sure we are giving the correct information to you.

The wire labeled solar/inverter is mislabeled and we have made GD aware of that, it should only be labeled either solar or inverter. If the wire is a 10 ga pair of red/ black it will be for the solar prep. The "loop" that you are describing is from the roof jack and to the battery. So when you cut the loop the end from the roof will go to the solar charge controller the other will go from solar charge controller to the battery. Again please check to make sure.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Dogdoc View Post
                      It the looped wire is orange is it NOT from the solar panel or the wire that goes from the battery to the solar controller. An orange wire is for 120vAC to/from an owner-installed inverter. As Brian stated, the label is confusing.
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I would like to thank both of you for replying. it really helps to know what the wires are for and where they go. now all I really need is to find the wires that go to the camper from the inverter and I will be set ( i think)
                        Thanks again
                        Fred

Comment

Working...
                        X