Solar install on 2020 Imagine 2400BH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar install on 2020 Imagine 2400BH

I posted this on the "other" forum, but I just recently discovered this one, so I'd like to post this here for reference sake.

Took the plunge this spring and finally installed my solar system. I bought 2x BougeRV 170W panels, BougeRV entry gland, Victron SmartSolar 100/20 charge controller, Victron BMV-712, MC4 connectors, 25' of red & black 10AWG solar cable, etc.

Test fitted the panels and gland, to make sure they didn't interfere with anything already on the roof. Want to make sure there's lot of room around the vent for when I finally replace it with a MaxxFan Deluxe. Also, need room to be able to walk around the roof:

Took the plunge and drilled the hole:

Fished the wires through the "attic" from the hole to the front cabinet over the bed:

There's about a 1/2" gap between the cabinet front and the ceiling inside the cabinet. I was able to run the fish tape through there to the vent, which allowed me to pull both wires through the attic into the cabinet:

From there I fished the wires through that gap from the centre cabinet to the passenger side cabinet, so that the wires would run along the wall into the storage bay below:

Drilled a hole into the drawer compartment, and another in line into the storage bay. Made sure to leave clearance for operation of the drawer itself:

Ran the wire to a 40Amp circuit breaker, then to the Victron charge controller. These pics are now out of date, I've upgraded the wires from the controller to the distribution panel to 10AWG:

Now it's time to install the actual panels and the entry gland to the roof.

I used 3M VHB tape on the glands and the solar panel feet. Then covered that with Eternabond, and used Dicor to seal the edges of the Eternabond.

The finished product:

After a few days I got a little nervous of having those big panels only held on by tape to the TPO roof, as I wasn't sure how well bonded the TPO is to the wood underneath, so I went back and installed the supplied screws into the solar panel Z mounts, and covered everything in Dicor. I now have 16 more potential water entry points to my roof, but I'm confident in my waterproofing skills, and I do a twice-per-year job of inspecting the existing Dicor sealant.

I originally planned on running the panels in parallel, but I wasn't happy with the placement of the Y connectors, so I switched to running in series. I used a few pieces of Eternabond to tape down the cables, keeping the ends free for service access.

If we ever really get into more long duration boondocking, I have room for at least two more 170W panels, but I would need to upgrade my charge controller and add at least one more battery first.
    2020 Imagine 2400BH - 340W solar, Victron 100/20 MPPT & BMV-712, 12v/100ah BattleBorn GC2, MORryde CRE3000 & HD shackle w/ wet bolts.
    2017 F150 Lariat, 3.5EB - Andersen WDH, & SumoSprings

formerly: 2016 Starcraft Launch 19BHS, 2004 Fleetwood Mesa

That's a nice clean install. I really am glad so see you screwed the panels to the roof. I would be quite concerned they'd lift the roof off in the original configuration.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      That's a nice clean install. I really am glad so see you screwed the panels to the roof. I would be quite concerned they'd lift the roof off in the original configuration.

Jim
      Thanks for the kudos Jim, I really appreciate it.
      2020 Imagine 2400BH - 340W solar, Victron 100/20 MPPT & BMV-712, 12v/100ah BattleBorn GC2, MORryde CRE3000 & HD shackle w/ wet bolts.
      2017 F150 Lariat, 3.5EB - Andersen WDH, & SumoSprings

formerly: 2016 Starcraft Launch 19BHS, 2004 Fleetwood Mesa

Comment

I can't tell you how many times I referenced this post for my install which is very similar to yours. I wasn't so lucky to have that 1/2 inch gap so I had to do some drilling to get my 10AWG through but got it done.

I used Dicor for the feet mounts and screws for the wire clamps on top and the gland with Butyl under everything. So far I'm having a hard time getting sealer on the inside of the feet under the panels. Just no room under there. Did you manage to get Eternabond behind there or are yours not sealed like mine are so far.

Your post was instrumental for my project and very much appreciated.

I'm leaning on the idea that since I have the Butyl squished under the feet I might be OK with no water intrusion.
        Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
        TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Originally posted by BobinICT View Post
          I can't tell you how many times I referenced this post for my install which is very similar to yours. I wasn't so lucky to have that 1/2 inch gap so I had to do some drilling to get my 10AWG through but got it done.

I used Dicor for the feet mounts and screws for the wire clamps on top and the gland with Butyl under everything. So far I'm having a hard time getting sealer on the inside of the feet under the panels. Just no room under there. Did you manage to get Eternabond behind there or are yours not sealed like mine are so far.

Your post was instrumental for my project and very much appreciated.

I'm leaning on the idea that since I have the Butyl squished under the feet I might be OK with no water intrusion.
          If you can get a clear soft hose that fits on the Dicor tube spout you can bend it around and get sealant on the back side of the mounts. This is another reason I used the tilt mounts.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

If you can get a clear soft hose that fits on the Dicor tube spout you can bend it around and get sealant on the back side of the mounts. This is another reason I used the tilt mounts.

Brian
            Tried that yesterday didn't go so well. Used a piece of vinyl tubing, would't stay on the end of the tube. I'll keep trying. Relying on the Butyl in the meantime until I figure something out.
            TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Update. I went to Menards and found a three pack of calking tube extensions for less than 6 dollars. Worked out pretty good. Now I can sleep better knowing I've got a good seal around the mounts. Posting as a PSA for anyone. Click image for larger version

Name:	CalkTube.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	88652

Comment

Working...
              X