Solar [Somewhat]Ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar [Somewhat]Ready

As I'm awaiting the impending delivery of my rig (Imagine 2970RL), I'm thinking a lot about the solar installation. I have a 100 watt panel to mount on the roof (primarily, just wanting to make sure the battery stays charged while stored, without dealing with a portable setup). I know the rig comes with the Jaboni docking port on the roof, but my question is where they route the wires from there? Do they go all the way to the battery? Do they route it through the storage bay? Just wondering where I can tap into it and mount my controller. I'm also planning on putting a disconnect switch on the line coming down from the panel (ahead of the controller), and of course I'll put fuses before and after the controller just to be safe.

If you have a similar setup, please feel free to share pictures of your installation. Likewise, suggestions on parts are appreciated as well (Amazon links are wonderful).
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    2021 F-250 (7.3L Godzilla V8)

Originally posted by Midwest Expectations View Post
    As I'm awaiting the impending delivery of my rig (Imagine 2970RL), I'm thinking a lot about the solar installation. I have a 100 watt panel to mount on the roof (primarily, just wanting to make sure the battery stays charged while stored, without dealing with a portable setup). I know the rig comes with the Jaboni docking port on the roof, but my question is where they route the wires from there? Do they go all the way to the battery? Do they route it through the storage bay? Just wondering where I can tap into it and mount my controller. I'm also planning on putting a disconnect switch on the line coming down from the panel (ahead of the controller), and of course I'll put fuses before and after the controller just to be safe.

If you have a similar setup, please feel free to share pictures of your installation. Likewise, suggestions on parts are appreciated as well (Amazon links are wonderful).
    Did you see the information in the Solar channel's Reference Material sub-channel? While not super-specific, it will give you an idea of what to expect from Grand Design.

Regarding the parts for your solar setup, check out Will Prowse's website for recommendations: https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/

Will has many good videos, too, on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/errolprowse

If everything is new to you, Will's book is worth the $15 to get all the info you need in one place. Everything in the book is available somewhere online, but I liked being able to sit in my recliner with a cup of coffee and read a book.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Will's Book.JPG
Views:	713
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	29128

Finally, the components you choose will come down to the budget and end goal for your system. I'm an unabashed Victron "fanboy". Their components are fantastic, but not cheap. A good resource to learn more about solar (and usually Victron equipment) is AMSolar on YouTube. Look for videos by Garret Towne: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di499j08IeY&t=33s

Last but not least, if you'd like to see how I installed my solar setup there's a link in the "comprehensive" thread that shows (almost) all of my mods: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lts-f-350-mods

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

…I know the rig comes with the Jaboni docking port on the roof, but my question is where they route the wires from there? Do they go all the way to the battery? Do they route it through the storage bay? Just wondering where I can tap into it and mount my controller…
      I’m sure that by now you’ve discovered that the solar wires from the roof passes through the storage bay near the wet bay. I’m wondering if you found where the wire goes from the roof connector on its way to the wet bay.

2021 Imagine 2970RL
      2021 F250

Comment

My apologies, I'm just getting back to the forum. I did not find where they go.
        2021 Imagine 2970RL
        2021 F-250 (7.3L Godzilla V8)

Comment

My apologies, I'm just getting back to the forum. I did not find where they go.
          From a video on YouTube it appears the 2970RL being shown has the factory-installed setup. I think that's the solar controller in the passthru. Your wires will come from the roof and will be in this area, perhaps tucked somewhere hard to reach? It will take some CSI on your part to find them.

The other end of the wires that go to the battery will probably be near the self-resetting breakers. The breakers on a TT are usually just behind the front vertical support beam behind the tongue.

If still no luck, a trip to your dealer for a "show and tell" might be worth it. If they have a 2970 on the lot you won't even have to bring yours--just have them show you on the one they have. An alternative is calling GD Customer Support and asking for them to send you pictures. Of course, it would be awesome if a fellow 2970RL would take out their camera and post a few pics!

Please report back what you find.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2970RL.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	62664
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
          X