Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Presentation Materials for Solar-101 Discussion at the 2019 Elkhart National Rally

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presentation Materials for Solar-101 Discussion at the 2019 Elkhart National Rally

Moderator Note: There is an updated version of Jim's presentation in the Solar > Reference Material channel: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/r...4-solar-101-v4 -Howard

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be hosting a seminar at the national rally in a couple of weeks. The topic will be an introduction to RV Solar charging systems. I'm attaching the presentation to this thread. It is not fully self explanatory. It is talking points for the presentation. If you have any questions, please ask.

Jim
    Attached Files
    Last edited by howson; 11-13-2020, 03:09 PM.
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Jim - I look forward to attending your presentation. Your pdf does a great job of detailing all the aspects. More complex than I thought. Total recommended average system costs, life span, maintenance, etc, will be interesting to learn as well.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Looks real good Jim. Hope I can make your seminar. See you shortly.

Red

Comment

Jim,
        Thank you for demystifying solar with your excellent presentation!

Jeff
        <><

Comment

I made several changes based on recommendations that several of you sent me in private messages. I removed the first version and posted a new version in the first post on this thread.

Thanks much,

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Jim, thank you very much for your presentation. I really enjoyed it.

Comment

Excellent material Jim.

And it was a pleasure meeting you and Ginnie at the Rally.

Jim

Comment

Excellent seminar, we learned a lot. I have a question about wiring the panels in series or parallel. We are looking to install 4- 200 watt panels.Wiring in series would give me 48VDC smaller wires to run, but I would want to keep the batteries wired in parallel to supply 12VDC to the coach. Is there a solar controller that takes 48VDC from the panels but outputs 12VDC? Also looking to install the Magnum Energy MSH3012M, Hybrid Inverter charger. It looks like it will act as a transfer switch and will add battery power if we don't have enough pedestal of generator power.

Comment

An appropriately sized MPPT controller will handle that reduction just fine. It will reduce the voltage and bump up the current an equivalent amount. This is very desirable.

Those are some very powerful panels. If you can provide the specifications on the panels, I can recommend a controller that can handle them.

Jim
                  Last edited by TucsonJim; 09-04-2019, 04:03 PM.
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by Ed & Cathy K View Post
                    Excellent seminar, we learned a lot. I have a question about wiring the panels in series or parallel. We are looking to install 4- 200 watt panels.Wiring in series would give me 48VDC smaller wires to run, but I would want to keep the batteries wired in parallel to supply 12VDC to the coach. Is there a solar controller that takes 48VDC from the panels but outputs 12VDC? Also looking to install the Magnum Energy MSH3012M, Hybrid Inverter charger. It looks like it will act as a transfer switch and will add battery power if we don't have enough pedestal of generator power.
                    I did six 200 watt panels in mine. I did a mix of series and parallel to keep the wire size manageable. I did three pairs of two series panels. I went with the Victron 150/100 charge controller so I would have some room to add more panels down the road if I wanted. It has no problem with the additional voltage coming out of the panels series/parallel combination, and converts that extra voltage into charge current.

https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-...0mppt%20ve.can

Jim, sorry I missed your solar presentation, our little guy was mid nap and I could not get away. I am sure it was great!
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Jim; I enjoyed attending your seminar in Elkhart. Thanks for giving the community your time!
                      Jeff & JoAnn Sibley
                      Solitude 344GK (2019)
                      F350 DRW (2018)

Comment

I will be presenting the "Solar 101" pitch this week at the Southern California rally. I've updated the charts that are linked in the first post on this thread.

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie
                        2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Great information. We are in the process of ordering our solar system to install 400Watts of panels to charge 200amps of Lithium batteries with a standalone 2000 Watt inverter on our 2020 Imagine XLS. Any words of wisdom are appreciated. Am excited to know that Grand Design is embracing solar installations.

Comment

Working...
                          X