No announcement yet.

Solar/Inverter Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I had bought materials to put it on the other wall of the pass through (across from the docking station), near where GD installs the Tire Link Dock, but I didn't like the idea of it reducing the clear space of the storage. This location was an "install day" decision that I like much better.
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    2021 F-250 (7.3L Godzilla V8)

Comment

So I am still at a lost about the other two wires. I checked and two of the wires are for solar. The other two I can figure out what they are for or where they go.
      2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn, CC SB 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
      2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Originally posted by Giesis View Post
        So I am still at a lost about the other two wires. I checked and two of the wires are for solar. The other two I can figure out what they are for or where they go.
        I'll try (again) to get you some more information.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I went back and looked at the original photos you had, and I think I've figured out what's going on here. My rig just had one wire looped through into this box. The wire has both a positive and negative. It was routed through a wire clip and right back out. I had to cut it to "cut in" my solar controller. So when I cut my wire, I had 4 connections. Your red wires (+) have a connector on them, presumably to make sure they don't make contact with a ground. So you have the same thing, yours is just already 'cut'.

This is what the wires are label as. Thanks
          Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?photoid=31327.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	32379
          Why they did this? My guess is as good as yours, but if I were to put money on it, it was that it was near the end of the roll of wire.

If you take off the cover over the docking station you'll be easily able to tell which wire runs up and over the pass-through storage (which in my case was to the jaboni solar port on the roof) and which one runs to the battery (which ran towards the rear of the camper, not to the front as you might suspect).

Hope this helps.
          2021 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Originally posted by Midwest Expectations View Post
            I went back and looked at the original photos you had, and I think I've figured out what's going on here. My rig just had one wire looped through into this box. The wire has both a positive and negative. It was routed through a wire clip and right back out. I had to cut it to "cut in" my solar controller. So when I cut my wire, I had 4 connections. Your red wires (+) have a connector on them, presumably to make sure they don't make contact with a ground. So you have the same thing, yours is just already 'cut'.

Why they did this? My guess is as good as yours, but if I were to put money on it, it was that it was near the end of the roll of wire.

If you take off the cover over the docking station you'll be easily able to tell which wire runs up and over the pass-through storage (which in my case was to the jaboni solar port on the roof) and which one runs to the battery (which ran towards the rear of the camper, not to the front as you might suspect).

Hope this helps.
            Thanks for the reply. I plan on figure this out this weekend. If it goes to the junction box by the battery, is bot connected as it has no power. We will see.
            2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Ok so found the wires. Yes the other two go to the battery but they were no connected. They are now.
              2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Ok so found the wires. Yes the other two go to the battery but they were no connected. They are now.
                ***Please*** tell me you took a picture of what you found and can post it! Information-sharing is the power of an owners' forum.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

***Please*** tell me you took a picture of what you found and can post it! Information-sharing is the power of an owners' forum.
                  Sorry. Rookie mistake. But I can tell you exactly where they were. On the front of the 2800BH mounted on the frame on the right side there is a metal electrical box. They were seating inside that box. No wire lugs or nothing. I use a multimeter and check continuity to make sure those were the wires and bingo.
                  2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Slight modification to my system. I got the Bluetooth repeater so I could see data on my controller. So I also switched to using a single 1” split wire tubing. Couldn’t find normal clips that would fit the tubing, so I found some zip-tie style fasteners that also had a sticky back and used them to secure in place. Looks better and I feel better.
                    2021 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Originally posted by Midwest Expectations View Post
                      Slight modification to my system. I got the Bluetooth repeater so I could see data on my controller. So I also switched to using a single 1” split wire tubing. Couldn’t find normal clips that would fit the tubing, so I found some zip-tie style fasteners that also had a sticky back and used them to secure in place. Looks better and I feel better.
                      Clean install--nice work!

Comment

Working...
                      X