Portable Solar Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MichiganXPLOR View Post
    Thanks for the insight! My camper is in storage at the moment so I don't have access to check things out. But from memory, there does not appear to be any loose wires in the pass through storage, unless they might be in the utility bank? And assuming I can find the wires, where does the connection need to occur? Do the wires just need to be attached together via connectors that are already factory installed on the wires or would they be connected in the silver box you mention underneath on the frame?
    It is my understanding that the wires connect directly to the battery or to a breaker on the inside of the trailer tongue where the battery connects. With that said there must be a charge controller between the Furrion port and the solar panel.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

MichiganXPLOR

Wrote my last post before I read that your trailer was in storage.

I looked on Grand Design's Parts Lookup (link at top right of this forum) and I *think* this is what's on your trailer?

Click image for larger version

Name:	docking port.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	39110

What you'll probably find (as Brian suggests) is the wires that eventually come from this docking port are tucked underneath the camper. If you crawl underneath the camper on the street side and look up (where the water connection panel is) under the passthru, I bet you'll find the wires in question. Careful--some of the connections you'll find may be "live".

If you look in the Reference Material section of the Solar channel you'll find a rough drawing of how your trailer is wired. The Jaboni connector's output wires go to the input of the MPPT controller. The output of the MPPT controller goes to the battery. (I just spotted Brian has posted again as I wrote this...so I'm just repeating/reinforcing what he just wrote.)

Make sure and check the continuity of the wires before connecting them to power and ground!

Anticipating your next question...where exactly to connect depends on how your trailer is specifically wired and configured. If you are familiar with electrical wiring and can take a few pics we can sort it out. If messing with wiring causes your significant other to run for the phone ready to call 9-1-1...perhaps having your dealer or a mobile technician finish the wiring would be a more prudent approach.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson and Country Campers - Thanks to both of you for responding so fast! I think what I'm taking away is that the connector (I included some screen shots from the web of the one on my camper if it makes a difference) is not fully wired into the system. While I scratch my head a little at putting the connector on the camper but not make it plug and play for the novice RV owner, I think I am following what will be needed once I can access my camper in the spring. If all else fails, my panels have been working if I connect them directly to the battery, so while not as convenient as connecting into the plug on the side of the camper, I can continue with that mode without too much trouble. Thank you again for your insight!

Comment

howson and Country Campers - Thanks to both of you for responding so fast! I think what I'm taking away is that the connector (I included some screen shots from the web of the one on my camper if it makes a difference) is not fully wired into the system. While I scratch my head a little at putting the connector on the camper but not make it plug and play for the novice RV owner, I think I am following what will be needed once I can access my camper in the spring. If all else fails, my panels have been working if I connect them directly to the battery, so while not as convenient as connecting into the plug on the side of the camper, I can continue with that mode without too much trouble. Thank you again for your insight!
          Your selling dealer installs the battery on the RV prior to purchase. Sometimes they do not attach any of the Solar wiring because many people may not use the plug in connection. It should be fairly easy to trace the wires once you get to access to the RV. I would not loose sleep over this , it will be an easy fix in the spring.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Well isn't that interesting--not at all the connector I expected to see on your camper. My friend Country Campers has it right--no doubt we can sort this out in the spring. Happy New Year!
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hello. Wanted to put the question on using the Furion 10Amp Solar plug on the side of my camper with a portable solar panel. It ended up being the 10Amp fuse in the wire under the tongue of the camper and now works perfectly. Thanks for the advice above!

Comment

Working...
              X