Solar and the Battery Disconnect Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar and the Battery Disconnect Switch

Hello. We just purchased a Transcend Xplor 261BH and I have a question about the factory installed solar panel. Will the solar panel continue to charge the battery when the battery disconnect switch is in the OFF position? I've tried searching the user manual as well as the interwebs and could not find an answer to this questions. Thanks!

GDRV-Mariah

Could you please help with this question?

Hope I remembered the right tag.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I think nearly all of the charge controllers have LED indicators when they're connected to PV and battery sources. If your charge controller has indicator lights, you might be able to see what happens when you turn the disconnect switch to the off position (See if a battery light shuts off).

If you are unsure what your charge controller looks like or where it is installed, I'm guessing there's probably some paperwork on the charge controller in your GD bag. If you can find that, it might help if you can share what model of charge controller they installed.

In my Imagine the wire for solar (to the battery) was hot independent of the disconnect switch. I suspect that would be the same with factory solar, but no tangible evidence to support that assumption.
      2021 Imagine 2970RL
      2021 F-250 (7.3L Godzilla V8)

Comment

Thanks for your response! I found the solar controller and confirmed that the LED indicators remain on when the disconnect switch is OFF. However, I wonder if the lights could remain active with power coming from the panel... The green light was flashing indicating charge so I would assume they're both connected with the switch off. That's how I would design it. I guess the only way to know for sure is to put a meter on the battery. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Rossome View Post
          Thanks for your response! I found the solar controller and confirmed that the LED indicators remain on when the disconnect switch is OFF. However, I wonder if the lights could remain active with power coming from the panel... The green light was flashing indicating charge so I would assume they're both connected with the switch off. That's how I would design it. I guess the only way to know for sure is to put a meter on the battery. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks again!
          Per the Jaboni 30A Solar Controller manual (page 9), The Charge Controller Unit is powered from the 12V battery bank. If the unit is connected only to the solar array, it won’t turn on.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Captain Rossome, can you advise what brand of mppt controller and solar panel came on your Xplor? We've got a 247BH on order, and I was looking to plan an additional panel or two to the system. Thanks!

Comment

....also, can you provide any particulars about the controller and panel (part numbers/specs)? I've heard GD is using Furrion for both, but there's not much information out there about them.

Comment

Originally posted by FL_Dave View Post
                ....also, can you provide any particulars about the controller and panel (part numbers/specs)? I've heard GD is using Furrion for both, but there's not much information out there about them.
                TucsonJim I’ll tap in Jim here but I know the controller and panel are made by Jaboni.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks, Neil. I did see some past forum posts that indicated that the parts were made by Jaboni, but when I asked the question of Grand Design (via their Facebook page), they stated that they were using Furrion in the new kits being installed on Transcend Xplor models starting this month. It seemed odd that they would go with different brands of solar equipment for different trailer lines, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Comment

Originally posted by FL_Dave View Post
                    Thanks, Neil. I did see some past forum posts that indicated that the parts were made by Jaboni, but when I asked the question of Grand Design (via their Facebook page), they stated that they were using Furrion in the new kits being installed on Transcend Xplor models starting this month. It seemed odd that they would go with different brands of solar equipment for different trailer lines, but I suppose stranger things have happened.
                    It is possible with all of the shortages that GD had to move to a different supplier. They have done this on other lines and products installed on there Rvs, going to be hard to keep track of.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I just picked up my new 2021 transcend xplor 265BH and they have switched to all Furrion products.
                      Jason & Misty
                      2021 265BH Transcend Xplor
                      2007 F-150 5.4L V8 towing package

Comment

Originally posted by jnplant View Post
                        I just picked up my new 2021 transcend xplor 265BH and they have switched to all Furrion products.
                        Thank you! Would you mind posting the model of the Furrion solar items in your rig? (Pics would be great, too!)

Also, when you get a chance, check out the Welcome Letter to learn how to get the most out of this forum. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Furrion net zero 165 Watt solar panel, Furrion net zero 25A MPPT solar charge controller, Furrion 12 volt refrigerator.
                          Not sure how to post pic.
                          Jason & Misty
                          2021 265BH Transcend Xplor
                          2007 F-150 5.4L V8 towing package

Comment

Originally posted by jnplant View Post
                            Furrion net zero 165 Watt solar panel, Furrion net zero 25A MPPT solar charge controller, Furrion 12 volt refrigerator.
                            Not sure how to post pic.
                            That's OK--appreciate the information. (The welcome letter will show you where all the "How To" stuff is!)

Comment

The Furrion panel is a FSFP16MW-BL. Furrion info here: https://furrion.com/collections/sola...lar-panel-150w (Don't ask me why their link is 150w...don't know why!) There are links to the specs and user manual at the bottom of that webpage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Specs.JPG
Views:	3204
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	33129

I couldn't find the MPPT controller on Furrion's website. (???) etrailer.com had it, though: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...CC30PWBBL.html But I can't find a manual anywhere. Did you get a paper copy of this controller's user manual, jnplant ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Furrion Controller.JPG
Views:	3385
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	33130

Comment

Working...
                              X