No announcement yet.

Solar and the Battery Disconnect Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For anyone that is following this thread--manuals for all of the Furrion products were provided by Grand Design and are posted here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/r...-solar-manuals

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yes I have what they call a manual, its not very informative. An I have looked everywhere that I can think of online and get the same result as you. Its not even on Furrion's web site go figure..
      Jason & Misty
      2021 265BH Transcend Xplor
      2007 F-150 5.4L V8 towing package

Comment

I have a 2021 transcend xplor 321RK and the parts list shows the Furrion controller. I haven’t had a lot of time to look but where do they have the controller?

Comment

Originally posted by GasMan View Post
          I have a 2021 transcend xplor 321RK and the parts list shows the Furrion controller. I haven’t had a lot of time to look but where do they have the controller?
          The controller should be in the pass thru on the street side , it may be on the ceiling or a wall in that area. You will only have this if you have the factory solar package. If you just have the solar prep you will not have a controller.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hello, I too have a question about this. I have a 2021 transcend xplor 297qb with a 165w 25a furrion MMPT controller.
            a couple of weeks ago I went to go check on my rig. The battery disconnect was off and the battery was dead. I called tech support and they told me to put the disconnect in the "on" position and the panel should charge the battery in about a day. I just checked on it today and the battery was still dead. Luckily the park was nice enough to let me plug in for the night to try and charge the battery before I go pick it up tomorrow. When will the panel charge the battery?

Just another interesting thing I noticed when I initially winterized the rig and turned the disconnect off. The light on the fridge would be on when I opened it. (I had turned off both fridges for the winter) do I need to trip the breaker for the fridge to keep it from bleeding my battery?

Thanks,
            A very new RV owner.

Comment

Originally posted by chadwich.cooper View Post
              Hello, I too have a question about this. I have a 2021 transcend xplor 297qb with a 165w 25a furrion MMPT controller.
              a couple of weeks ago I went to go check on my rig. The battery disconnect was off and the battery was dead. I called tech support and they told me to put the disconnect in the "on" position and the panel should charge the battery in about a day. I just checked on it today and the battery was still dead. Luckily the park was nice enough to let me plug in for the night to try and charge the battery before I go pick it up tomorrow. When will the panel charge the battery?

Just another interesting thing I noticed when I initially winterized the rig and turned the disconnect off. The light on the fridge would be on when I opened it. (I had turned off both fridges for the winter) do I need to trip the breaker for the fridge to keep it from bleeding my battery?

Thanks,
              A very new RV owner.
              Hello chadwich.cooper and welcome to the forum. Since I noticed that was your first post I want to mention that the moderators have put together a Welcome Letter to New Members . I hope you'll take a moment to check it out (and provide feedback as desired).

For your question: what probably happened is the controller needs battery power to turn on and process the power from the solar panels. No battery power = dead controller, so the power from the panels literally "sat" on the input side of the controller.

Don't be surprised if the battery won't take a charge or provides much less power than expected. Lead-acid batteries (I assume it's a lead acid battery) don't like being completely discharged. There's a Battery 101 presentation by my fellow moderator TucsonJim that you may find informative. It's in the Reference Material section of the Electrical channel (or use the link provided).

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

chadwich.cooper Welcome to the family and the forum!
                Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                Nash County, NC
                2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Hello chadwich.cooper and welcome to the forum. Since I noticed that was your first post I want to mention that the moderators have put together a Welcome Letter to New Members . I hope you'll take a moment to check it out (and provide feedback as desired).

For your question: what probably happened is the controller needs battery power to turn on and process the power from the solar panels. No battery power = dead controller, so the power from the panels literally "sat" on the input side of the controller.

Don't be surprised if the battery won't take a charge or provides much less power than expected. Lead-acid batteries (I assume it's a lead acid battery) don't like being completely discharged. There's a Battery 101 presentation by my fellow moderator TucsonJim that you may find informative. It's in the Reference Material section of the Electrical channel (or use the link provided).

Howard
                  So, I picked up the trailer today and low and behold the battery was charged. Yay!
                  I still would like to know how to prevent that from happening again. So, the solar panel should keep the battery charged if I keep the disconnect key in? Is this the preferred way to winterize with a solar panel?

Thanks,

Chad

Comment

Originally posted by chadwich.cooper View Post

So, I picked up the trailer today and low and behold the battery was charged. Yay!
                    I still would like to know how to prevent that from happening again. So, the solar panel should keep the battery charged if I keep the disconnect key in? Is this the preferred way to winterize with a solar panel?

Thanks,

Chad
                    The best way may be (with a fully charged battery):

1) Turn off the solar controller
                    2) Turn off the battery disconnect
                    3) Remove the negative cable from the battery

Consult your owners manual and you'll find it recommends removing the negative cable from the battery, too, for long term storage.

How is the solar on your Transcend implemented--is there a disconnect switch between the panel(s) and controller? How about between the controller and the battery?

Comment

Completely new to camping and TT ownership. Bought a GD Transcend xplor 261BH as well. When we parked the trailer after our second trip, I wanted to leave the fridge open to completely dry and prevent mildew and at that time I also noticed that the fridge is powered even when the red power kill key is removed. I tried taping down the light switch to prevent burning the bulb out but that didn't work. Went back 2 weeks later and realized the small outsize fridge had been left on and was still cold.

So, I have a few questions similar to howson's previous post:
                      1. Where is the solar controller and the batter disconnect on this model?
                      2. Is it harmful to leave the outside and/or inside fridge running all the time on solar while stored (not covered so solar panel is getting sun) at the lowest setting? I noticed that there is a setting labeled for "off grid" in the fridge.
                      3. If that's a bad idea, is the only way to actually turn off all power to disconnect the battery and reconnect it every time?
                      Thanks
                      2021 Grand Design Transcend xplor 261BH TT

Comment

MyWifeMadeMeBuyIT

I can't address most of your questions definitively but I'll offer an opinion and a suggestion.

1) Don't leave the refrigerators running (even on the lowest setting) on the assumption the solar will keep up with demand. You'll probably end up with a dead battery bank.

2) The inside refrigerator (Furrion 12v model?) was wired directly to the battery through a self-resetting breaker, bypassing the cutoff switch. If you're a DIY'er and familiar with working with electricity, inserting an on/off switch in this circuit is a simple task.

The alternative is the list in post 24. (Not 100% sure where your solar controller is but if you follow the battery wires you'll find it!)

Comment

MyWifeMadeMeBuyIT

I can't address most of your questions definitively but I'll offer an opinion and a suggestion.

1) Don't leave the refrigerators running (even on the lowest setting) on the assumption the solar will keep up with demand. You'll probably end up with a dead battery bank.

2) The inside refrigerator (Furrion 12v model?) was wired directly to the battery through a self-resetting breaker, bypassing the cutoff switch. If you're a DIY'er and familiar with working with electricity, inserting an on/off switch in this circuit is a simple task.

The alternative is the list in post 24. (Not 100% sure where your solar controller is but if you follow the battery wires you'll find it!)
                          Thank you for the information and suggestions! Any idea why they would want to wire the fridge like that? I'm guessing that cutting into the wiring and adding a cutoff switch will violate one of the many ways I read where I can violate my warranty. Thank you again for the advice.
                          2021 Grand Design Transcend xplor 261BH TT

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifeMadeMeBuyIT View Post

Thank you for the information and suggestions! Any idea why they would want to wire the fridge like that? I'm guessing that cutting into the wiring and adding a cutoff switch will violate one of the many ways I read where I can violate my warranty. Thank you again for the advice.
                            First of all - I LOVE your handle. Haha! I tell my DW she is expensive all the time...she claims it is the children....which I say the children came from being married to the DW =) I recently told her that her toys are far more expensive than all of my toys combined.....(I as referring to the camper as hers)....to which she replied....the camper is in my name =0 LOL

Anyway....I agree with howson's suggestions. It may violate the warranty on that item...but if it were me I would still do it. Do you have a diagram of your setup?
                            2020 Imagine 2400BH
                            2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifeMadeMeBuyIT View Post

As I've written before, I do not speak for or represent GD in any way, shape or form. I'm just an owner like yourself who volunteers time to try and help fellow owners.

However, I have interacted with GD representatives frequently and it's been my experience that a modification causes a problem they won't cover it. I think that's true of any company. However, GD hasn't (to my knowledge) ever used a modification as an excuse to deny a valid warranty claim.

-- can you add anything to what I've written here that's in "approved" GD terminology?

Howard

Comment

As I've written before, I do not speak for or represent GD in any way, shape or form. I'm just an owner like yourself who volunteers time to try and help fellow owners.

However, I have interacted with GD representatives frequently and it's been my experience that a modification causes a problem they won't cover it. I think that's true of any company. However, GD hasn't (to my knowledge) ever used a modification as an excuse to deny a valid warranty claim.

-- can you add anything to what I've written here that's in "approved" GD terminology?

Howard

I agree with Howard here (with the same disclaimer), but also would add the warranty is only one year, (I think) so you could either wait it out if you're really worried about it, or hope any manufacturing defect has already shown up and being able to shut it off might be with giving up the rest of the warranty. Regardless it should only affect the warranty on what you modify, not the rest of the trailer

Neil Citro
                                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                                X