Solar Charge Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Charge Controller

2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB ... Silly Question time ... On the controller panel it has three choices :AGM ... Sealed ... Lithium ... How do I know which battery I have ?? I'm not tech proficient enough to know ...

Originally posted by Kalohe View Post
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB ... Silly Question time ... On the controller panel it has three choices :AGM ... Sealed ... Lithium ... How do I know which battery I have ?? I'm not tech proficient enough to know ...
    If you have the standard battery that the dealer installed then you have a regular flooded battery. If the choices you listed are the only ones then you would either choose AGM or Sealed , as these would be the closes to your battery type.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Ok so I looked at the battery and it looks like the one in my truck with two top covers .... so probably sealed right ... that being said when not using any power while parked in the yard should it maintain full charge on the batteries ... there are 4 red lights to show on the inside panel for levels of everything IE: Black tank Gray tank 1 and 2, and Battery ... The battery had been showing all 4 bulbs lit up when we were camping and plugged into shore power but now since being home a week it has dropped to 3 lights lit up ??? My best guess says the solar panel would maintain all lights lit basically forever especially when not using any power ... so yup I'm confused ... the solar control panel shows the sealed battery light on and there is a green light that comes on and off ... any suggestions or would this be right ...

Comment

I'm not familiar with the factory 165w solar equipment that comes with the Transcend models. But, if your solar charge controller is turned on (I can turn mine on and off), and the solar panel is in full sun, and your battery switch is "on" (you can't remove the red handle), the battery could take a few days to charge this time of the year if your battery voltage is low.

Does your factory solar charge controller have an LCD display? If so, that should tell you the battery voltage as well as how much energy the solar panel is putting into the battery.

Don't pay any attention to the 4 lights on the control panel inside the RV. That doesn't really provide any useful information other than to let you know the battery isn't "full" when it shows 3 or less lights.
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Thanks for the help ... No LCD display just a couple idiot lights ... battery kill is still in and on ... Ill just wait for another week and take readings on the battery then ...

Comment

You might look into whether or not the controller is capable of adding a Bluetooth monitor. My Wanderer controller has three lights, but I get a lot of more specific data with the app (while I’m in proximity to connect via Bluetooth).
            2021 Imagine 2970RL
            2021 F-250 (7.3L Godzilla V8)

Comment

Ill check Thanks ...

Comment

Kalohe

Having a battery the same as your truck with 2 covers is a flooded battery. This battery will take maintenance to keep the fluid level proper in the battery , the covers come off to check the levels. Be very careful when doing this as the fluid is acidic.
                Also you had noted "batteries". How many batteries do you have?

With all of the information of what you exactly have it will be much easier for us to help and under stand your actual set up.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

One battery thanks, Flooded battery is not one of the choices on the panel ... AGM, Sealed or Lithium is all that's there ...

Comment

One battery thanks, Flooded battery is not one of the choices on the panel ... AGM, Sealed or Lithium is all that's there ...
                    Flooded = Sealed
                    Brian & Kellie
                    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post

Flooded = Sealed
                      I am not sure thats right, sealed would be another kind of AGM right? A flooded isnt sealed because you can add water to it, and the acid can vent out?
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                        I am not sure thats right, sealed would be another kind of AGM right? A flooded isnt sealed because you can add water to it, and the acid can vent out?
                        I guess what I was implying is if I had the three choices shown above (AGM, Sealed, Lithium), I would choose sealed for the solar charge controller. I think a sealed battery is also referred to as a "maintenance free" battery but as far as I know, the charge parameters for a maintenance free (sealed) battery is the same as a battery that requires water to be added periodically.
                        Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post

I guess what I was implying is if I had the three choices shown above (AGM, Sealed, Lithium), I would choose sealed for the solar charge controller. I think a sealed battery is also referred to as a "maintenance free" battery but as far as I know, the charge parameters for a maintenance free (sealed) battery is the same as a battery that requires water to be added periodically.
                          Yeah I guess you are right, given those choices. The only sealed I have ever seen were AGM so that is confusing. AGM obviously charges at a higher voltage than flooded, no idea what they have it programmed to charge at on sealed.

Regardless I would keep a close eye on the water level in the battery, if it is charging at too high of a voltage for a flooded battery it could be boiling out the water.
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks for the help ... No LCD display just a couple idiot lights ... battery kill is still in and on ... Ill just wait for another week and take readings on the battery then ...
                            What is the make and model of the controller? If you can take a picture and post it that would be great! And (for Steve, aka @steve&renee ) -- thanks in advance.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The green light goes on and off continuously but never stays on ...

Comment

Working...
                              X