2021 Reflection 260RD Solar Panel Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Reflection 260RD Solar Panel Location

I recently purchased a 2021 Reflection 260RD with prewired roof mount solar. I found the wires near the battery. Is there a wall that the wires run through where you can locate the solar controller? I found a spot on the bathroom wall I can get to, but that would increase the run by possibly 20 ft, if I have to loop it there and back.
    Starts
    11-17-2020
    Ends
    11-24-2020

Originally posted by RodneyMo View Post
    I recently purchased a 2021 Reflection 260RD with prewired roof mount solar. I found the wires near the battery. Is there a wall that the wires run through where you can locate the solar controller? I found a spot on the bathroom wall I can get to, but that would increase the run by possibly 20 ft, if I have to loop it there and back.
    Welcome to the forum, RodneyMo. Please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members when you get a chance.

The drawing below is a rough sketch of a solar system in a GD trailer. Is there a second set of loose wires (circled in red) coming down from the roof (and then going to the battery location) or just that one set near the battery? If so, that set of wires is for the panel-to-controller connection.

If the wires you found near the battery come from the roof junction box, then you are right about the loop/run (which is not desirable). Can the controller be mounted near the battery? I am not familiar with the 260RD's setup. I assume the battery is in the front storage compartment?

In summary, the wires from the roof (solar panels) go to the controller. The controller's output goes to the battery. I hope that makes some sense...

Click image for larger version

Name:	wires.JPG
Views:	1053
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	35110

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi RodneyMo. Welcome to the forum. Normally, GDRV routes the wiring for the solar controller into the battery compartment or the basement storage.

Jim

P.S. We like to share the following link with new members to make their forum navigation a little easier:
      https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Welcome to the forum, RodneyMo. Please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members when you get a chance.

The drawing below is a rough sketch of a solar system in a GD trailer. Is there a second set of loose wires (circled in red) coming down from the roof (and then going to the battery location) or just that one set near the battery? If so, that set of wires is for the panel-to-controller connection.

If the wires you found near the battery come from the roof junction box, then you are right about the loop/run (which is not desirable). Can the controller be mounted near the battery? I am not familiar with the 260RD's setup. I assume the battery is in the front storage compartment?

In summary, the wires from the roof (solar panels) go to the controller. The controller's output goes to the battery. I hope that makes some sense...

Click image for larger version

Name:	wires.JPG
Views:	1053
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	35110

Howard
        I only found the one set of wires by the battery. The batteries are in the front compartment. I just researched the Jaboni controller and it looks and sounds like a better setup. In the manual it says it shouldn’t be mounted in the same compartment as the batteries, so that makes it a bit more complicated to install. I like how the remote is connected with a RVC port eliminating the need to run more 10 gauge wire. Thanks for the quick response. I have more to think about now.

Comment

I only found the one set of wires by the battery. The batteries are in the front compartment. I just researched the Jaboni controller and it looks and sounds like a better setup. In the manual it says it shouldn’t be mounted in the same compartment as the batteries, so that makes it a bit more complicated to install. I like how the remote is connected with a RVC port eliminating the need to run more 10 gauge wire. Thanks for the quick response. I have more to think about now.
          You might call Grand Design Customer Service and asking them where they install a controller in a unit that comes with one from the factory.

If you upgrade the battery (good catch, BTW, about the wet cell) you won't have to worry about off-gassing. While initially pricey, a lithium (LifePO4) will pay for itself over the life of your trailer.

If the budget will allow consider a Victron SmartSolar controller, a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor, and upgrading the battery to something like a Battle Born 100aH. Initially a bit eye-popping when you look at the price, but well worth it as you'll have a superb setup. There are less expensive controllers and battery monitors, but I wouldn't go for anything less than a top-notch battery.

Probably too much info...

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

You might call Grand Design Customer Service and asking them where they install a controller in a unit that comes with one from the factory.

If you upgrade the battery (good catch, BTW, about the wet cell) you won't have to worry about off-gassing. While initially pricey, a lithium (LifePO4) will pay for itself over the life of your trailer.

If the budget will allow consider a Victron SmartSolar controller, a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor, and upgrading the battery to something like a Battle Born 100aH. Initially a bit eye-popping when you look at the price, but well worth it as you'll have a superb setup. There are less expensive controllers and battery monitors, but I wouldn't go for anything less than a top-notch battery.

Probably too much info...
            Thanks for the info. I’ve already upgraded to a 4 6 volt golf cart battery set up. I might consider lithium when they go bad. I was able to follow the wires through my storage compartment into the area behind the panel and then it started up. I didn’t see any remote wires under there, but it looked like there might be enough slack in the wires to install the Jaboni Solar Controller in that area. I can drill through the floor into my bathroom cabinet then into the wall. I can intall the remote control in that wall in what I guess you call the hallway to the bedroom. That is where the salesman at the dealership said they install them. I will make some calls first. I can only find the Jaboni Solar Controller at their website and unfortunately they are out of stock. Perhaps they sell them at my dealership, since it is their roof mount on the GD.

Comment

I can only find the Jaboni Solar Controller at their website and unfortunately they are out of stock. Perhaps they sell them at my dealership, since it is their roof mount on the GD.
              Before you go for the Jaboni may I suggest some research? A reliable resource is Will Prowse's DIY Off Solar website. He has a page dedicated to controllers. https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/so...ntrollers.html

Another very good resource is AMSolar's Youtube video on how to choose a charge controller.

I'm not "anti-Jaboni"--just think there's other options besides what the OEM chooses to install in the trailer.

Good luck with your install. Please follow up with any lessons learned (good and bad!) that other owners will benefit from in the future.

Comment

Thanks for all the advise. I have decided to go with the Victron Smart Solar MPPT 100 30A. I’m happy I can put it in my dead space and just operate it via Bluetooth. I will start with two 150 watt panels and see how it goes. If that falls short of my liking, I will add another 150 and take it to it’s max.

Comment

Thanks for all the advise. I have decided to go with the Victron Smart Solar MPPT 100 30A. I’m happy I can put it in my dead space and just operate it via Bluetooth. I will start with two 150 watt panels and see how it goes. If that falls short of my liking, I will add another 150 and take it to it’s max.
                  I have my Victron controller and battery monitor mounted out of the way. It's so convenient to just pull up the app on my phone to see how it's all running.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

I have my Victron controller and battery monitor mounted out of the way. It's so convenient to just pull up the app on my phone to see how it's all running.

Jim
                    In the manual it says it is most efficient to have the panels mounted in series. How did you do yours?

Comment

In the manual it says it is most efficient to have the panels mounted in series. How did you do yours?
                      I ran two parallel strings of four panels in series. Eight 100 watt panels total. This allowed me to keep the max voltage under the controller's limits and to keep the current low enough to run 10AWG wiring.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Series Parallel Path.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.0 KB ID:	35309
                      Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
                      X